Who is the best character?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=Astronomical girl;109201]but the manga only tells the story of the anime not the anime tells the manga.

Not true. Although part of the "Astro Boy Tales" series retells the first anime, the second anime had a manga adaptation for second graders, and the third anime had an adaptation by Akira Himekawa, Tezuka's manga is the original Astro Boy and it started a decade before the anime.[/QUOTE]

The 80's anime had an adaption? Who was the mangaka behind it?

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

"Astro Boy8629" wrote:[QUOTE=Androids101;109178]Anyone here that doesn't like O'Shay's nose?

I wish I could actually feel it in real life.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could too, then pull it...

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:[QUOTE=F-Man;109208][QUOTE=Astronomical girl;109201]but the manga only tells the story of the anime not the anime tells the manga.

Not true. Although part of the "Astro Boy Tales" series retells the first anime, the second anime had a manga adaptation for second graders, and the third anime had an adaptation by Akira Himekawa, Tezuka's manga is the original Astro Boy and it started a decade before the anime.[/QUOTE]

The 80's anime had an adaption? Who was the mangaka behind it?[/QUOTE]

Tezuka. :P

The whole thing is in volume 23 of the English edition (along with another story from the 70's to cap it off). You can tell by the printing that it was meant to be in color but was unfortunately all reprinted in monochrome. :(
I'm on Twitter.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=Dr. Jerk;109211][QUOTE=F-Man;109208][QUOTE=Astronomical girl;109201]but the manga only tells the story of the anime not the anime tells the manga.

The 80's anime had an adaption? Who was the mangaka behind it?[/QUOTE]

Tezuka. :P

The whole thing is in volume 23 of the English edition (along with another story from the 70's to cap it off). You can tell by the printing that it was meant to be in color but was unfortunately all reprinted in monochrome. :( [/QUOTE]

Kay, I feel stupid. I assumed it was another one, since I thought Tezuka ended Tetsuwan Atom sooner, and considering things like Jetter Mars got adaptions by others..

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

F A V O R I T E . . . hmmmmm

Gotta be Ochanomizu. And NOT because of his nose (actually I HATED that nose, as a child, it was kind of creepy and clownish). Actually Dr. Ochanomizu is the most "real" out of the entire cast (IMHO). Tezuka drew him to be frumpy, dumpy and physically unappealing (not tall and dramatic, like Tenma). He's also obviously not considered to be at the level of genius that Tenma is. :tenma: "Got that right!"

And yet, it is Elefun/O'Shay/Ochanomizu who "parents" Astro, gives him a sister (and robot parents, depending upon the version). It's obvious he'd give his life for Astro. If you never seen the 1960's episode 52, Snow Lion where he places the presumed dead Astro in the Robot Hall of Fame -- OMG!!! :cry:

And in Pluto, he's shown to be a widower who still talks to his late wife, and dotes on his grandson. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE? He's not glamorous like Tenma, but he's all heart, and he doesn't let his power go to his head.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:If you never seen the 1960's episode 52, Snow Lion where he places the presumed dead Astro in the Robot Hall of Fame -- OMG!!! :cry:

OMG! Thanks for reminding me! That episode made me cry like a baby. I have to watch it again.
I'm on Twitter.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:I wish I could say Ken. However he is underplayed in the manga, I have yet to see him in the first sixty episodes of the B&W series, he's just kinda there in the 80's one, and they totally changed his personality for last anime.

He does not appear in the B&W series.

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Call me ignorant but, I really don't think Tenma made a lot of appearances in the manga really. I get the impression that he, and certain other characters in the Star System, was more like,

"Quick, throw this character in because I need someone to fit this role for a short issue." (And that is why I think the Star System is clever, because making original characters for every, single, story is a real pain in the bum.)

In short, because many characters had short appearances which would include Tenma, then I don't think his personality would fully shine in the manga. Granted I only have Volumes 1, 2 and 7 (7 I still have yet to read), but still.

Of course, in the anime that's different. In both the 60's and 80's version, especially the 80's, he was interpreted as 'a jerk with a short temper'. But I also liked his mannerisms in the 60's dub. "Well that's a joke SON, BOY. UNDERSTAND?"

The 2003 was really the only series that seemed to give him the most character development, for obvious reasons. That is probably the version that makes him seem 'mysterious', in my opinion.

I love over-exaggerating things.

I understand that you use 'character' to describe actors & characters, but it helps to use the correct terms. As far as characters go, Tezuka does create many uniques ones for various stories, & often uses existing actors to portray them. In my reviews, I noted to changes in casting for a given story. Suppose Duke Red portrays the title role in FROZEN MAN's manga version. As noted in GOD OF COMICS, Tezuka chose him for a reason. With him, comes our impression of him in previous roles, as also noted in GOD OF COMICS. If as in this case, some unique actor takes the role in the 1980s version, there might be a reason behind it; though at the time I wrote the review, I had not even considered the analysis I cited from GOD OF COMICS.

"Frozen Man", review
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;109228]If you never seen the 1960's episode 52, Snow Lion where he places the presumed dead Astro in the Robot Hall of Fame -- OMG!!! :cry:

OMG! Thanks for reminding me! That episode made me cry like a baby. I have to watch it again.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've seen that episode before.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Nor have I.

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

they have the episodea on Youtube ;)
Unyongnekasayo