Who is the best character?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Who is the best character?

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

Who is the best character out of all the Astro Boy series except for Astro.

My pick is Tenma from the '03 series because he almost always was lax and he always had a plan. One of the episodes I like him in is episode 37 when he makes Pavlos look like a fool
Last edited by Astro Boy2866 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

While it is easy for me to pick my favorite characters, picking the best character seems pretty difficult, especially since I also like to think of Tezuka's other characters and his Star System in a large spectrum.

Part of me wants to say Shunsaku Ban/Mustachio, if only because of his extremely large number of appearances and development over the years, he certainly is quite up there in Tezuka's Star System, along with Ham Egg and Lamp. If anything, I think I just respect the Star System.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Epsilon and O'Shay from the '03 series, I think everyone here knows why I like O'Shay.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

I think Tenma's gonna win this thread by a landslide....

I'd say him too. I especially like how mysterious he is in the manga. Each time he shows up, he takes you by surprise, as you slowly learn his motivations. It just made me wish we could see him more often, which was sorta "fixed" in the '03 series (by slapping the plot thread that he's fighting Astro only to make him evolve). He's also got an awesome voice and it is so easy to understand him and feel pity for him.

I wish I could say Ken. However he is underplayed in the manga, I have yet to see him in the first sixty episodes of the B&W series, he's just kinda there in the 80's one, and they totally changed his personality for last anime.
I'm on Twitter.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

"F-Man" wrote:I think Tenma's gonna win this thread by a landslide....

I'd say him too. I especially like how mysterious he is in the manga. Each time he shows up, he takes you by surprise, as you slowly learn his motivations. It just made me wish we could see him more often, which was sorta "fixed" in the '03 series (by slapping the plot thread that he's fighting Astro only to make him evolve). He's also got an awesome voice and it is so easy to understand him and feel pity for him.

I wish I could say Ken. However he is underplayed in the manga, I have yet to see him in the first sixty episodes of the B&W series, he's just kinda there in the 80's one, and they totally changed his personality for last anime.

Call me ignorant but, I really don't think Tenma made a lot of appearances in the manga really. I get the impression that he, and certain other characters in the Star System, was more like,

"Quick, throw this character in because I need someone to fit this role for a short issue." (And that is why I think the Star System is clever, because making original characters for every, single, story is a real pain in the bum.)

In short, because many characters had short appearances which would include Tenma, then I don't think his personality would fully shine in the manga. Granted I only have Volumes 1, 2 and 7 (7 I still have yet to read), but still.

Of course, in the anime that's different. In both the 60's and 80's version, especially the 80's, he was interpreted as 'a jerk with a short temper'. But I also liked his mannerisms in the 60's dub. "Well that's a joke SON, BOY. UNDERSTAND?"

The 2003 was really the only series that seemed to give him the most character development, for obvious reasons. That is probably the version that makes him seem 'mysterious', in my opinion.

I love over-exaggerating things.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

I honestly didn't really like how Tenma replaced many villains in the 2003 series, compared to the manga where his appearances all seemed justified and developed his character. Now I'll say right now that I read every story in the real publication order, which I'm really glad I did. As you're reading the manga, you know that Tenma is hiding from authorities, and helping Astro sometimes in disguise, but you don't really know why. At some point he finally becomes an important part of a story and you're sure he's actually a nice guy, until you later see his proper motivations (which were adapted to make the last episodes of the 2003 series). Even then he's never completely evil or anything, just a very tragic character.
I'm on Twitter.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Personally I didn't really like how they potrayed Temna in the '03 series, making him build other robots and stuff, doing all kind of things just to make Astro "evolve". How very strange.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Oh yes. I do view him as a tragic character, even in the other series. I guess I'm just used to the idea that usually there's more development the more 'screentime' a character gets, so to speak. And ultimately even though I like Astro Boy, I don't see myself getting every single volume out there. If I ever get the third volume, I'll probably stop there for awhile.

And the 2003 series changed a lot of things, not just making Tenma the main villain. The series primarily focused on the battle of humans vs robots and their rights. Not every Astro Boy issue focused on that. There's other things I could argue about the 2003 series, but I might just leave it at that. While the 2003 series wasn't very accurate to the manga's stories, I personally find it to be more accurate in other areas.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

The '03 series wasn't done by Tezuka, so of course they changed a few things.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

"Androids101" wrote:The '03 series wasn't done by Tezuka, so of course they changed a few things.

Tezuka couldn't even retain control on the 60's version.

And just because he wasn't around, doesn't mean it has to be insta-different. They could have chose to keep it as accurate to the manga as possible. It is a matter of choice.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”