Maybe this is why Astro isn't as popular in the US ?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Maybe this is why Astro isn't as popular in the US ?

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

I've been thinking about this for a while now. We have a significant number of Australian members (compared to other countries, especially the USA). Considering the difference in our countries' population - it would seem there would be far more American members.

The might be the fact that Astro Boy is much more popular in Australia.

Why would that be so? Australia is an English-speaking country. And they don't have a space program as we do in the US. You'd THINK it would be the opposite (more popular with Americans).

But if I understand what I've been reading on this forum over the past year, the only anime series to run its course in the US was the 1960's (all 104 episodes dubbed in English were run).

And the 1960's anime was SUCH a success that it opened the door for all the rest to follow.

So why on earth didn't the people at the various networks give the 1980 and 2003 anime series a fair chance to be successful too? Some folks think there's a bit of a conspiracy behind the whole thing. It seems like, with all the networks available, these series could have found a place to run -- on regular days/times -- for their duration.

I also think the 2009 movie would have been more successful (even with the changes in story, poor marketing and weak release date) if more people in the US were aware of Astro Boy (I think some people look at him as odd as "Hello Kitty").

I get the impression AB never got adequate airplay in Canada or the UK as well (but apparently Canada got to see most or all of the 80's series -- note how many Canadian members we have -- and compare the population of Canada to the US).

What do you guys think?
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 13 years ago

Astro boy was fairly popular in Canada during the 1980's, that's were I first heard of him. I also heard that the show was different than the American version - there was no Geronimo reports- and the voices were different, some of the names as well. (Uran had a very normal name) but I don't know for sure since I'm only familiar with the Canadian one. As for the 2003 series, I think there was too much "sailor moon" and other Japan-amation, and sadly Astro was missed :(
It's weird though, everyone has "heard" of Astro boy, but it is still almost like an underground cult so-to-speak.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Yes, I saw a couple of the Canadian Astro Boy episodes (they can be found on YouTube) - very few remain, and the voices/names were quite different (Uran was Sarah, Dr. Elefun was Prof. Peabody, and I remember being impressed with the boy who voiced Astro).

No, we didn't have the Geronimo Reports -- I thought that looked cool, though.

You could be right about Astro Boy being pushed aside for already-established anime. You'd think they'd give the one who started it all a chance though!

BTW, welcome to the forum, Astrogirl0407 (I get the 0407 -- that's another way to say my name!!)

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

I heard it was a girl who did Astro Boy's voice in the US version, either way, it's strange how there was 2 different versions of the show for the same continent. Thanks for the welcome AprilSeven. I wonder what that day meant to Mr Tezuka- Any ideas?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

GREAT QUESTION!! I'd love to know, too!

It does say in Wikipedia that the first Astro Boy story was published in April of 1951 . . . so it might be the date of publication

Astrologically, it makes Astro an Aries.

Aries Information
Element: Fire
Quality: Cardinal
Planetary ruler: Mars
Birthstone: Diamond
Flower: Hawthorn
Color: Scarlet
Key characteristic: Leadership :D
Strengths: Intelligent, assertive, adventurous :lol:
Challenges: Trouble with sharing :o hmy:, too much ego :eek: , vindictive :shifty: naaah not Astro!!

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

You might be onto something with that. I will keep looking and if I find more I will post it.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Planetary ruler: Mars

Sono wa Marusu
Jetta Marusu!

Anyhow, I don't think it's because of the smaller population in other countries, or anything else really. Some things just happen to be more popular in other countries, regardless of how big or little they are.

Take Canada for example, it's larger than the States but I think the 80's series was more popular there.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;120571]
Planetary ruler: Mars

Sono wa Marusu
Jetta Marusu!

Anyhow, I don't think it's because of the smaller population in other countries, or anything else really. Some things just happen to be more popular in other countries, regardless of how big or little they are.

Take Canada for example, it's larger than the States but I think the 80's series was more popular there.[/QUOTE]

Whoa!! Great connection - Jetter MARS! I wonder if . . . ! :ninja:

BTW I was comparing the number of people living in our countries.

population of Canada: 33,739,900
population of Australia: 21,874,900
population of USA: 307,006,550

There are approximately ten times the number of people living in the US.

Therefore, statistically there should be ten times the number of American forum members, but that's not the case. My guess is we are close to even in member numbers with both Australia and Canada.

You make a good point -- it could be cultural differences. But I have a feeling Australians and Canadians had more exposure to both the 1980s and 2003 anime than US audiences. Just speculating... :astro:

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

Most people just aren't into anime in America, unfortunately, but the shows that most people know most is Naruto and Dragon Ball, but there are still a good amount of people who know who Astro is, but they didnt think the movie would be good. I have a few friends who are like that.

When I went to rent the movie, it was sold out for both blu-ray and regular for a few weeks after it came out on DVD. I guess that most people wanted to watch it on DVD instead.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"Astro Boy2866" wrote:Most people just aren't into anime in America, unfortunately, but the shows that most people know most is Naruto and Dragon Ball, but there are still a good amount of people who know who Astro is, but they didnt think the movie would be good. I have a few friends who are like that.

When I went to rent the movie, it was sold out for both blu-ray and regular for a few weeks after it came out on DVD. I guess that most people wanted to watch it on DVD instead.

I think AprilSeven was referring back to the 80's, back when Naruto wasn't around. Dragonball 1 (not Z or GT) was however around in the 80's, but maybe not as a dub that early.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”