Question about Denkou

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
I-Am-Atom's-Sister
Robot President

Postby I-Am-Atom's-Sister » 13 years ago

"Androids101" wrote:Unless you give them gender-oriented programming. Which is something I would do if I were to build a robot son/daughter. :p

I don't know. You think the producers ever thought about this? :whistling: :lol:

Doh :d oh:
How do you give them gender-oriented programming?? This is a weird discussion X3
Clothed Astro = cute little robot kid;
Naked Astro= Big damn hero.
~Shirubie

I :heart: :astro:

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Whoops... what I meant to say is [Iprogramming based on a gender[/I].

It would be pretty pointless to create a robot son that has no gender...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

'gender' is NOT a synonym for 'sex,' though nearly everyone uses it that way! :mad: The word to use when speaking of words, such as HIS, HERS, & ITS, is GENDER. When the subject is a living thing or robot, SEX is correct. :p

I know that Japanese uses -SAN for both MR. & MRS., & this makes it rather difficult to tell whether the subject is male or female, but Denko's physical appearance in the original manga certainly seemed masculine rather than feminine. Likewise, Epsilon. Denko in the B&W also seemed masculine, as did Epsilon. We know that Gam was male until her appearance as EMILY in the '03, PIPI became PIPIKO in TRITON. Some characters/actors change sex as the role requires, just as some have both adult and child forms.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:'gender' is NOT a synonym for 'sex,' though nearly everyone uses it that way! :mad: The word to use when speaking of words, such as HIS, HERS, & ITS, is GENDER. When the subject is a living thing or robot, SEX is correct. :p

I know that Japanese uses -SAN for both MR. & MRS., & this makes it rather difficult to tell whether the subject is male or female, but Denko's physical appearance in the original manga certainly seemed masculine rather than feminine. Likewise, Epsilon. Denko in the B&W also seemed masculine, as did Epsilon. We know that Gam was male until her appearance as EMILY in the '03, PIPI became PIPIKO in TRITON. Some characters/actors change sex as the role requires, just as some have both adult and child forms.

The way I imagine it is that there's an option in robot programming that lets you include gender attributes, but in Denkou's case, just a few of only the androgynous ones were selected.

As well, Jeffbert, the meaning of words can change over time. :whistling: That's why nobody nicknames someone "Dick" for Richard anymore, or things like that. Besides, I've heard our science teachers use "gender" instead of "sex", and it makes it a whole lot less awkward when trying to talk about things like this.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

I-Am-Atom's-Sister
Robot President

Postby I-Am-Atom's-Sister » 13 years ago

I'm gonna say yes
Clothed Astro = cute little robot kid;
Naked Astro= Big damn hero.
~Shirubie

I :heart: :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

Oh, I fully understand WHY they misuse GENDER; it is because instead of saying SEXUAL INTERCOURSE, they simply say SEX. Thus, a confusion may arise. There was the old joke about the question on forms:

SEX ________

& the guy writes 'occasionally' rather than MALE or FEMALE.

It is just like FRENCH FRIED POTATOES (1894); when was the last time you heard that term? :D 1st, it was shortened to FRENCH FRIES (1918), but they do not even say that anymore! The verb FRY became a noun, FRIES! But the average dictionary goes into the ETYMOLOGY of words very briefly, if at all.

I learned formal grammar by setting my old WORD PERFECT to its highest mark, to formal grammar. I had a ton of trouble with the active Vs. passive sentences, & I still have trouble with fragments. I well know that educated people use colloquial English, I worked with electrical engineers and computer scientists, they all used rather poor grammar.

Back to GENDER, my ETYMOLOGY dictionary says:
Probably about 1350, grammatical class referring to nouns and pronouns; later referring to verbs (about 1450).

It then goes on, to clarify these meanings, but says nothing about its being a synonym for SEX, or anything about the controversy. However, my thesaurus Rex has this:
418.1 SEX
Nouns 1. sex, kind, persuasion [joc.]; gender [coll. exc. gram.],

'col.' = colloquial.

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Gotta Love ASTRO BOY » 13 years ago

oh wow this subject really took a turn from what i was asking at first

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

:lol: As to a non-reproductive physically neuter or non-sexual machine, e.g., a robot's 'sex': Unless physically apparent, it must be a mainly behavioral characteristic. Atom was modeled on Tobio, and named Tobio, and is thus male in purpose & design, though, except for that one comic, Atom was lacking genitals.

There was a video on youtube, made of refuelling clips, in which atom shares his energy with other robots. For that matter, any robot able to refuel another robot-- :blush:

Uran is intended to be a girl; thus appearance, behavior, etc., feminine. Michii, on the other hand, can change from male to female. This was obviously dropped when she entered the STAR SYSTEM.

As to Denko, only physical appearance and behavior give the clues. 2003 Denko was cool among the boys, while Uran was not cool, and ignored in one episode, if not more. Why? Because Uran is obviously a girl! Denko, on the other hand, may indeed be a girl, but not in appearance. :astro:

Astro Ducky
Kokoro Robot

Postby Astro Ducky » 7 years ago

I vividly remember the Danish manga consistently calling Denkoo a "she", and that always seemed pretty realistic to me. Denkoo is a tomboy, and in my eyes, she always looked like a girl with short hair.

Speaking of the Danish manga, it also renames her to Blixten, which is a translation of the word "denkoo" (lightning) ... but in Swedish. Why it didn't call her something like "Lynild" which is a slightly poetic Danish term for lightning, I have no idea.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”