180 THE BLUE KNIGHT pt 2

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

180 THE BLUE KNIGHT pt 2

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

This is Cuzco, named after a S.A. mountain, I believe.

I could not get this guy's name. :(

Is the robot CUT MAN a ripoff, or an homage to Cuzco? :p

Count Berg's flying sub has an insignia that bears a strong resemblance to the swastika.

"see, ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!"
:hyo:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Now, Aoikishi rather than Dr. Loss ('Ross') tells Atom of how it all began:

Count Berg makes Simon Legree look like Mr. Rodgers.

Maria now realizes her husband is not a nice guy.

Blue Bon is very sad, but this is only the beginning.

Atlas will do likewise; thus, Atlas (80s) is both Tonto & Blue Bon, while Livian is Maria.

"Why did you make a freak of me?"

Little did Blue Bon realize that this would give him an edge over Berg.
:d evil:

"and that is how it all began."

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Oh GOD, NOT again.

Cut Man is NOT a rip-off. Rather their appearances are purely coincidental. Cut Man was based on a pair of scissors. Which works well because much of the gameplay formula can be considered parallel to Rock, Paper, Scissors. Much of the robot designs in the 60's series were very generic and did not have much thought put into them.

Was going to comment about something on the Blue Knight, but now I'm way too vexed to do so now.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Did you not notice the scissors both opened and closed in the images above? :lol:

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Oh GOD, NOT again.

Cut Man is NOT a rip-off. Rather their appearances are purely coincidental. Cut Man was based on a pair of scissors. Which works well because much of the gameplay formula can be considered parallel to Rock, Paper, Scissors. Much of the robot designs in the 60's series were very generic and did not have much thought put into them.

Was going to comment about something on the Blue Knight, but now I'm way too vexed to do so now.

Unless you have a source saying explicitly that he "he was not inspired by one of the Astro Boy" robots, you can't be sure of that. Jeffbert was just raising an interesting possibility. Please stop acting like this sort of thing would level a great shame onto Mega Man or its fans; it doesn't. I'm not sure if it's just the term "ripoff" that annoys you, and "inspired" would be fine, but to most people they're one and the same when writing random thoughts on a web forum.
I'm on Twitter.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

I have searched everywhere for the supposed source that Mega was based on AB. I have found none. I've even tried to look through the Complete Works artbooks, and the most that was said was that this one staff member said that he "Likes Rockman because it reminds him of Atom", however that's not the same as stating "We based him off of Astro."

People have told me that if there is no source for something, then it is more than likely to not be true.

Rockman, nor any other related characters, were not directly based on characters from the Tetsuwan Atom franchise. It's possible, yes I won't deny it if it's true, but there is no source on it.

And again, that robot was extremely generic. And yes, the scissor-like parts did move like a pair of scissors like Cut Man's would, I REALIZE that Jeffbert. But that's still generic. There's been a lot of robots with similar designs before.

Edit: Also F-Man, you're not the one to deal with the OH SO COMMON fake rumor that "Rockman was initially supposed to be an Atom game" that I have to face EVERYWHERE. Not just here.
Last edited by Dr. Jerk on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:
People have told me that if there is no source for something, then it is more than likely to not be true.

Just because you were unable to find a source does not mean that something does not have a source. I myself read in an article at the time Mega Man made his first appearance on American television that Mega Man was inspired by Atom although unfortunately I cannot remember where I read it or if I still have the magazine in which that statement was made.

Any way who cares if the chicken came before the egg or vice versa, If you like Mega Man more power to you! As I've said before--

I :heart: :astro: :lol:

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

A lot of things are changed or assumed in America. What the television said was NOT official source and shall therefore be considered not truthful. Unless Capcom themselves states it, I will not hear a thing about it.
Last edited by AprilSeven on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of content

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:A lot of things are changed or assumed in America. What the television said was NOT official source and shall therefore be considered not truthful. Unless Capcom themselves states it, I will not hear a thing about it.

Good bye.

There, there, Dr. Jerk, I still agree with you that Rock Man is a great character! (No matter where he came from!)

I :heart: :astro: :lol:
Last edited by AprilSeven on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Nothing anyone says anymore is going to change anything.

Good freaking bye.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”