Marine Express Movie

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Skymouth
Kokoro Robot

Marine Express Movie

Postby Skymouth » 12 years ago

It's been a while since I've come here, but I've been watching a lot of Astro Boy lately again and came across the Tezuka film 'Marine Express'. While it does seem to contain quite a few of characters from Astro Boy such as Astro himself, Dr Elefun, Mr. Kisagari, and a few others that are easy to recognize, all their names have changed, even Astro's... tho I'm not sure if Adam is taken from Atom or not. Also Dr. Elefun's name and character seems to have taken a 360 degree turn as well.

I'm just wondering if 'Marine Express' is some sort of AU in Astro Boy's universe or what? I just got started watching it and am trying to figure out what the heck it is. I know Tezuka has a habit of having characters from one anime show up in another... prime example is Mr. Ham Egg. Would appreciate anyone able to explain where 'Marine Express' fits into the Astro Boy series!

Thanks!

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

Adam is close in pronunciation to Atom in both English and Japanese. So there you go for his name.

As far as universes go in Tezuka fiction, you just have to know that he viewed his characters as actors. There is actually a whole universe in Tezuka's mind where they just play roles, get paid, and talk to their producer Tezuka himself. In that universe, they played roles for the Marine Express movie as well as their more regular roles in their respective ongoing series.
I'm on Twitter.

Skymouth
Kokoro Robot

Postby Skymouth » 12 years ago

Thanks so much!

Bigdog
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bigdog » 12 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Adam is close in pronunciation to Atom in both English and Japanese. So there you go for his name.

As far as universes go in Tezuka fiction, you just have to know that he viewed his characters as actors. There is actually a whole universe in Tezuka's mind where they just play roles, get paid, and talk to their producer Tezuka himself. In that universe, they played roles for the Marine Express movie as well as their more regular roles in their respective ongoing series.

It kinda sucks Tezuka never did a manga one shot where it shows them outside their "worlds" and shows their daily lives in a comedic way of sorts, almost like the Real World or Candid Camera or TMZ in comic form.

But it begs the question of wh they are all wearing the same clothes/wear as they do in their individual features and not pull something different. I'm thinking there's a twist to all of this.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 12 years ago

I think there is a movie where Tezuka appears with many of his characters, something like a "special Christmas".
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

I think Fafner might be referring to "The last mystery of the twentieth century" - a special movie that featured a lot of his characters in a "murder mystery"
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 12 years ago

That's it :)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

It's now streaming with subs, everyone.
I'm on Twitter.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

Thanks so much, F-Man - I just joined and I'm going to watch it tonight.

YAAY Viki!!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 12 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Adam is close in pronunciation to Atom in both English and Japanese. So there you go for his name.

Never thought I'd see the day when someone views characters as actors. If someone held a similar philosophy, they would not make it in this world.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”