Astro Boy (1980) and Black Jack now streaming on Viki (translations in progress)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

"-Nick-" wrote:This site is great. Having a bunch of the japanese versions subbed is great to be able to watch. Is it possible to download the japanese astroboy anywhere? I own the english release, but wouldn't mind having the subbed version on the computer or something.

The English release includes the Japanese audio track with subs, so you should be able to rip them to your computer (except for the complete version of the first two episodes).

On topic, I wrote this list for Tezuka in English recently: http://tezukainenglish.com/bm/news/39-tezuka-titles-now-streaming-on-viki.shtml

4 of the 10 Black Jack OVAs have been subbed as well since (one of the best Tezuka anime ever (I may have already said that)).
I'm on Twitter.

-Nick-
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby -Nick- » 11 years ago

Hm did the American release do seamless branching or something? I bought the Madman 1980s tin when it was released and I am pretty sure it does not include subs. Only he first two eps were included as a special feature.

EDIT: Ok so the release by Manga entertainment includes the Japanese audio. That's interesting, but how did they achieve it with the editors episodes?
Last edited by -Nick- on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"-Nick-" wrote:EDIT: Ok so the release by Manga entertainment includes the Japanese audio. That's interesting, but how did they achieve it with the editors episodes?

There were only a few scenes with dialogue that had to be cut but they're left in the special features. The first two episodes are not included unfortunately except for the edited-into-one-episode version.
I'm on Twitter.

-Nick-
Rocket Ball Champion

Ok, so did manga edit the Japanese audio to match with the English footage?

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"-Nick-" wrote:Ok, so did manga edit the Japanese audio to match with the English footage?

For the first episodes? Most likely. I don't have the boxset myself, so maybe they just left episode 1 in English only, but I doubt it.
I'm on Twitter.

-Nick-
Rocket Ball Champion

I ment the majority of the episodes. I'm trying to work out what they actually did to be able to do this. I read somewhere that this set even uses the Japanese opening animation instead of the English version.

Maybe if I see this set cheap I will pick it up.

Thanks for the help.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

"-Nick-" wrote:I ment the majority of the episodes. I'm trying to work out what they actually did to be able to do this. I read somewhere that this set even uses the Japanese opening animation instead of the English version.

Maybe if I see this set cheap I will pick it up.

Thanks for the help.
I have those bouth, the US only uses the japanese opening animation there's no american animation opening and as for cutting out Manga just had to do the same thing as Madman especially since madman came out earlier with it.

How they actually would be able to cut the Japanese version without it beeing verry weird that's another thing and seems like they had to go to a awful lot of trouble to do something stupid like that while you would kinda wanna have it so it doesn't even make any sense :confused:
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Viki opened a Tezuka Anime channel on YouTube! The shows are getting an awful lot more views this way, and hopefully new fans.

They've also been subbing more Astro Boy episodes, now for a total of 16. I have a feeling they're gonna handle their own translations more now, in order to get as many episodes on YouTube as possible.
I'm on Twitter.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

Awesome to see that they're doing that. I am definitely going to subscribe to that channel.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

Thanks for the info, F-Man! :lol: My desktop is nearly filled by shortcuts.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”