Why do 1980 Astro's "arm joints" show?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Why do 1980 Astro's "arm joints" show?

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

This just occurred to me . . . in the very first episode of the 1980's anime we see Dr. Tenma pulling a stretchy "skin" over Astro's body which made him appear "human" (including his speedo, skin and "hair").

And yet . . . throughout the 80's anime, the artists draw in "joint marks" at his wrists, elbows, shoulders and sometimes at his neck (but not at his knees or ankles - even if he isn't wearing boots).

What adds to this oddity is that other robots - Livian for instance - do not display the tell-tale "joint marks."

In the original manga, Astro was indeed "jointed" - so maybe this is a nod to his original design, but it seems a little incongruous! :p

Anybody else notice this?
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Astragirl
Kokoro Robot

Postby Astragirl » 12 years ago

I kk

BlueCore
Robot President

Postby BlueCore » 12 years ago

i agree! this is very strange. I also didnt notice that in the series he doesnt have finger nail until "astros first love"..... thats something that a human would have, so why did tenma not give him any???
"My name is Jack Frost. How do I know that? Because the moon told me. So if the moon tells you something, believe it..." ~jack frost, Rise of The Guardians

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 12 years ago

I liked the joints on the 1980's Astro Boy. Although now that you mention it, it is weird that they appear. Maybe his "skin" eventually got a permanent crease of some kind from his actual joints?

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 12 years ago

Perhaps other people didn't have the money for a fitted body suit and had there bodies painted? I mean come on Tenma was loaded
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

Yes, I had noticed this too. It didn't seem odd that Astro's joints would show throughout the "skin" (for the reason mentioned by Satus), but I did notice that not all robots were displaying them. I would think this would serve as a reminder that Astro is still a robot and must deal with his "difference" when among humans. However, conveniently for the scenarios, some humans at times still do not seem to notice he's a robot right away (such as the hijacker in "The Hijacked Airship").

I suppose the joints would make a robot such as Livian perhaps less "feminine" in the anime creator's view, while on other robots, they accentuate how powerful the robot is.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

Can you imagine an Astro Fan getting "joint marks" tattooed on their arms/wrists/shoulders? :lol: :rolleyes: Maybe I should post that under "You know you're an Astro Boy Fan"...
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

Robots have exoskeletons, humans do not. Thus, the visible joints. Though I admit, sometimes it seems inconsistent as to when they are visible. When in the factory, mama & papa's joints were visible because their artificial skins had not yet been applied. Likewise, when at the robot disposal camp in BLUE KNIGHT, had the humans taken away their skins?

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Can you imagine an Astro Fan getting "joint marks" tattooed on their arms/wrists/shoulders? :lol: :rolleyes: Maybe I should post that under "You know you're an Astro Boy Fan"...

YOU SHOULD

Bender the Sniper
Metro City Citizen

Postby Bender the Sniper » 11 years ago

They were probably trying to throw more detail into how the characters looked.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
ATLAS - The #1 threat to Japan.

I'll be back.

Avatar painted by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”