Tetsuwan Atom and Rockman?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Toshio
Banned

Tetsuwan Atom and Rockman?

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

As far everyone knows, the Rockman series got a lot of inspiration in Tetsuwan Atom like the fact he is a robot who fights for peace between humans and robots (though, that theme was dropped in the Rockman X and Rockman Zero series since a virus make robots to destroy other robots and even kill people).
Funny thing about Rockman is the name of the character (without the blue armor): Rock.
As you fans of Tezuka works, may now of Rock Holmes who plays several villain and antihero roles in early Tezuka works that would even funny if somebody did a crossover fanfic which Rock Holmes start to cause trouble at the city which Rockman lives and the hero must capture him.
Also, many may think the name "Zero Saber".
By the way, the name Zero seems to have appeared in Astro Boy Original anime and manga. Although I suppose it was just the adapted american name since "Denkou" was the name used for 1980 version and the 2003 anime.
In Tetsuwan Atom there are even a gangster character with the name "Wily" who appears briefly.
If somebody knows more about similarities and perhaps even possible source of inspiration then share here.

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 11 years ago

I find both series to be very interesting. Although I don't think the similarities are on purpose, some of them are a bit funny.

About names, Rock(Rockman) and his sister Roll were named for the genre of music. However, before "Rockman" was decided, one of the names that were considered was Mighty Kid (as seen on page 117 in the English version of Mega Man Official Complete Works). That's pretty funny since Tetsuwan is often translated as "mighty".

The idea of Rockman and Rock Holmes meeting reminds me of a funny drawing someone did.

I did not know about the Wily in the Mighty Atom series, that is interesting.

Toshio
Banned

Rock's name from Tezuka may follow the same music formula.
And in Omega Factor he hated robots that would funny that meeting indeed.
Btw, in Rockman V for Gameboy there is a boss called "Pluto", but he is not a bull themed robot. "Uranus" is the bull themed and if he was "Pluto", then it would be weird.
Wily was a minor character in Tezuka stories for what I read.
Some people says that Rockman is inspirated in Casshan because of the robot dog, but they forget that Rush, said robot dog, appeared in Rockman 3 and was a way to give a side-kick and remove the obsolete special weapons which could allow Rockman to reach certain locations.
Rockman may have many series, but it's characters don't have the same charisma as Atom had and neither feel superior.

Satus
Robot President

Isn't Rock Holmes' name based on "Sherlock Holmes"? I don't know that for sure, but it's a possibility. I guess it could also be music themed???

I think that Osamu Tezuka's Pluto was named after the Pluto from mythology and that the Rockman series' Pluto was named after the planet— uh... dwarf planet. :p

But I agree on your last idea, I never understood the Casshan comparison for that reason. The Mighty Atom comparisons at least make more sense. The popular rumour about the first Rockman game being originally intended as a Mighty Atom game is also interesting... I wish there were some solid yes or no answer about it, because it'd be really amusing information.

I think both series have their charm, so I find it hard to call one better than the other.

Toshio
Banned

Yes, it's based.
click for spoilerAlso, in Ravex in Tezuka World, Atom is revived and later merged with Rock who was dead. The result was a blue robot called "Ratom" (Rock + Atom).
It look like a bad pun (not sure if they really wanted to make Ratom look like a Rockman characte, but he have more armor parts), really and he is defeated by the big bad anyway. Shame

Ooops, spoiler tag is not working O_o
*I did a preview first.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Wow, you're RIGHT Toshio . . . Ratom DOES look like Rockman! Of course the name "Ratom" makes me . . . think . . . of . . . RATS!! eeew. I didn't know he got killed off, though. What movie was that in? Geeez if Tezuka Pro ever releases all these things the "Western World" as been deprived of I am DEFINITELY going broke, because I will HAVE TO see/read it all!! XD
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Toshio
Banned

"AprilSeven" wrote:Wow, you're RIGHT Toshio . . . Ratom DOES look like Rockman! Of course the name "Ratom" makes me . . . think . . . of . . . RATS!! eeew. I didn't know he got killed off, though. What movie was that in? Geeez if Tezuka Pro ever releases all these things the "Western World" as been deprived of I am DEFINITELY going broke, because I will HAVE TO see/read it all!! XD

I said it was "Ravex in Tezuka World", but that short is disappointing, Ratom is trapped by the big bad and the three main characters had to make a jam season to defeat it.
Well, it's nothing epic, kind of disappointing.
They had to merge "Rock with Atom" and it felt like a joke as if they're poking fun on Rockman.
Another interesting thing is the fact Ratom have a single point of hair which reminds of the micro Atom from "Micro Adventures".
After they won, Ratom don't had any more quotes which sounds quite bad.
And another Atom appear to dance with him in the celebration party without any explanation.

Satus
Robot President

Haha, wow, Ratom does sound like it'd remind of rats. :lol:

Another thing I just remembered; Nobuyuki Hiyama who voiced Atlas in the 2003 anime, also voiced Forte in Rockman 8 and Rockman Battle & Chase. They do seem to share more similarities besides this (but more so with 1980s Atlas than 2000s Atlas).

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

It might have been Tezuka's idea of a more mature take on the series astro boy remember Atom i was origionally going to be more about discrimination and confilicts and such but Tezuka had to suffer under editors and reader demand to make it diffrent, don't even begin to mention the first Anime but the TV market wasn't even ready for something like that.
I don't even know to much about that series just yet but i might start off with the OVA Anime soon but what i do know is that Tezuka might have intented it as to still make this kind off story.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”