Pluto Manga Movie

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Pluto Manga Movie

Postby Photar » 11 years ago

Anybody heard anything else about Illumination entertainment/Universal making a film on this? Last thread was nearly two years ago
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Hope they don't turn Pluto supposedly movie into a failure like ruining all the concept to follow the american censorship standarts.
The americanization of Tetsuwan Atom is filled with lies, sigh...

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

They still haven't announced a screenwriter. :/ I stand by my 2018 release prediction, for now. Plus they probably want an anime to come out first, and there's some problems with getting that going.
I'm on Twitter.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Hrmm, I've never read it; but the description of it being like a "grown-ups' Astro Boy" has always been a turn-off (even if I AM over 18 nowadays).
lolwut

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

It is an ASTROBOY for grown-ups, rather than a grown-up ASTROBOY. Pluto depicts realistic characters, no huge noses, etc. Atom & Uran are indistinguishable from human children; most of the robots are likewise highly human-like in appearance. But the story itself is what is so compelling.

BTW, grown up Astroboy:
ABANDONED PRETEEN BODIES (UNIT7-3_066).jpg
ABANDONED PRETEEN BODIES (UNIT7-3_066).jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 14103 times

Toshio
Banned

Guess you could put that pic under spoiler since it's too big.
Also, it looks quite weird.
Anyway, the fact that Pluto/Jahad liked flowers reminds of a scene of the 2003 mangá which Uran requests Pluto to not step in the flowers and even give a flower crown so he would look "cute".

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Heh, that's what I meant in the first place, Jeffbert! :D And really, that picture was quite unneccesary; like I've said before, grown-up Astro really creeps me out... in fact, if at all possible, this one looks even creepier. *shudder*
lolwut

Toshio
Banned

That pic give the idea of incest which doesn't suit Tetsuwan Atom and considering Atom, he would not want a grow up body at all. He is a robot and having an adult body would be like becoming another robot.
Anyway, Uran in Pluto reminds of her 2003 version considering she can understand animals and help people around her without any sign of doubt.
Too bad that Pluto carried his order to terminate Atom right away without caring about Uran, but at least he don't destroyed Atom completely and seems he only zapped him somehow.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

Where is that picture from? Is it concept art (for that 60's episode where Astro gets an older body)? That naked Uran is kinda freaking me out O.O

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

Postby GreenDarthVader » 11 years ago

Personally, I went in a little worried that Pluto would be Astro Boy: Darker N' Edgier. But it turned out to be Darker and Edgier done right with good depth. It is very different, but it's fun to see the similarities, and see Atom react to more modern day things. Also, every villain is given understandable motives EXCEPT (I'm afraid i don't know how to do spoiler tags, but I'll try click for spoiler"Not-George Bush". Also, I feel Uran isn't very faithful to the 80s Uran. It also brings up a lot of problems that would come from robots wanting to be human. And it's epic. I mean REALLY epic. If nothing else, at least pick up the first volume, there's a stand alone story in there about North No. 2 that's really worth the read.

Back to the movie, honestly, I believe there is no possible way, even without censorship restrictions, a Pluto movie can be made that even slightly does the original justice. It would have to be cut down to a Greatest Robots in the World multi fight with a little mystery. In America, I doubt it would be able to reach it's older audience with 3D animation. I feel a japanese made OVA would be the best possible adaption, and even then I have my worries.

While we're talking about this, anyone else find it interesting that only in the manga Epsilon isn't a complete goody two shoes?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”