ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1st & 4th GRADER EDITIONS)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Very interesting thread. The Atom from this series looks like the prototype for Jetter Mars. A prototype for Jetter's sister is there too. As far as Astro's nipples go, they did appear on Atlas in the 1983 anime. Also this Atom is a bit of a throwback to the original "Captain Atom" as far as the artwork goes.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Yeah, as far as I can tell, he DID look a bit older when he was first introduced... (I still find it weird that he wasn't the main character of a series that was named after him. :eek: )
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Another thing. Someone mentioned that Atom appeared in a Manga episode of Black Jack as a human. Well Atom DID have a human alter-igo of Tobio and that is actually the character that would have been used by Tezuka in the Manga. Atom-Tobio actually appeared in several episodes of Black Jack, there was one episode where Black Jack did plastic surgery on a man to protect him from criminals. There is one frame showing the man walking out of the hospital with 'Atom-Tobio' crossing the street.
Atom-Tobio and Dr. Tenma also starred in a Black Jack Anime as father and son. Tenma was a movie mogol who wanted to make a film featured Black Jack curing his son. (The Manga that this Anime was based on did NOT use Tenma and Atom from the star system).

There was also ONE episode of the 1963 Astro Boy Anime that had both Dr. Tenma and Tobio in an alternate history story.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

There was also ONE episode of the 1963 Astro Boy Anime that had both Dr. Tenma and Tobio in an alternate history story.

That would be "Mystery of the Metal Men" - one of my favs! :) Atom gets blown into an alternative universe where Tobio didn't die. It's VERY cool.

Another episode that has Atom and Tobio together is Japanese People from Space - and in this one we see Astro as a boy and Tobio as an adult (Astro's the same age, but because he can't grow, he still looks 9 years old) This ep was never dubbed for outside of Japan (to my great dismay!) But thanks to Jeffbert, we can all take a look.

BTW - welcome to the forums! :D
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

I skipped ahead to watch that specific episode, actually. Black Jack is totally badass, but the subject matter of the show sometimes makes me queasy. ^-^;

I read in an older thread once that Atom shows up in at least two more Black Jack manga stories (or was it just one?), both in more prominent roles. And Uran and Tenma appear in a story together, as father and daughter. :) I'd like to read those stories. (But I wonder if the Black Jack manga might make me queasy, too? :( )
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:I skipped ahead to watch that specific episode, actually. Black Jack is totally badass, but the subject matter of the show sometimes makes me queasy. ^-^;

I read in an older thread once that Atom shows up in at least two more Black Jack manga stories (or was it just one?), both in more prominent roles. And Uran and Tenma appear in a story together, as father and daughter. :) I'd like to read those stories. (But I wonder if the Black Jack manga might make me queasy, too? :( )

I think the medical scenes on some TV shows (such as Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Fire) are more "queasy" than anything Tezuka drew in Black Jack. Note that Tezuka WAS a licensed doctor and knew his subject when drawing the medical scenes in Black Jack. AFAI remember the Anime didn't show any of the operation scenes in any of the detail that Tezuka drew in the manga.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

"AprilSeven" wrote:

That would be "Mystery of the Metal Men" - one of my favs! :) Atom gets blown into an alternative universe where Tobio didn't die. It's VERY cool.

Another episode that has Atom and Tobio together is Japanese People from Space - and in this one we see Astro as a boy and Tobio as an adult (Astro's the same age, but because he can't grow, he still looks 9 years old) This ep was never dubbed for outside of Japan (to my great dismay!) But thanks to Jeffbert, we can all take a look.

BTW - welcome to the forums! :D

The plot for Japanese People from Space sounds like a spinoff from the "Captain Atom" story.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:The plot for Japanese People from Space sounds like a spinoff from the "Captain Atom" story.

It was indeed, the 2nd version of Captain Atom in the B&W series.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

"kscharf" wrote:[QUOTE=Little Brown Fox;204178]I skipped ahead to watch that specific episode, actually. Black Jack is totally badass, but the subject matter of the show sometimes makes me queasy. ^-^;

I think the medical scenes on some TV shows (such as Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Fire) are more "queasy" than anything Tezuka drew in Black Jack. Note that Tezuka WAS a licensed doctor and knew his subject when drawing the medical scenes in Black Jack. AFAI remember the Anime didn't show any of the operation scenes in any of the detail that Tezuka drew in the manga.[/QUOTE]

Urg... If that's the case, then I dunno if I can even read that... although on the upside, it's just pictures, as opposed to animation, complete with tense voice acting, and a dramatic soundtrack.

I am aware that it isn't terribly graphic, but it still bothers me. It doesn't have to be excessively gorey to get under my skin; it's more the subject matter in and of itself that makes me a touch squeamish and tense (I HATED "The Lost Needle", partly due to my own powerful aversion to needles).
lolwut

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

I had an IV for some 5 weeks way back in 1975; they only used a metal needle to make the initial insertion; in fact, it was encased in a plastic 'needle' & withdrawn once in place. So, there was no way, the metal needle was left in the arm, & no way, it could have broken loose. :p The plastic one was flexible, so it would not irritate.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”