ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1st & 4th GRADER EDITIONS)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1st & 4th GRADER EDITIONS)

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

While visiting TIE, a discussion was started about the differences between "Astro Boy Returns" which appeared in Fourth Grader magazine (and can be seen in English in "Osamu Tezuka's Original Astro Boy" vol.# 22) and a manga serial known as "Astro Boy--First Grader" edition. These are the versions of Astro Boy published in 1972 in which Dr. Tezuka tried to change the appearance of Astro Boy. (see illustration one)
While I have not had time to translate the captions with these images, suffice it to say Jeffbert who owns complete copies of both series has noted their dissimilarity even though apparently they both start from the same point. (Image two) They appear to both take place after the events of episode 193 of the 1960s series, "The Greatest Adventure on Earth" in which after giving his life to save the Earth, Astro Boy is shown drifting in space and here is where the versions begin to differ. (Again this is only going by appearances.) In Fourth Grader, the body of Astro Boy is shown as a melted husk, while in First Grader, he is shown in what appears to be a block of ice. Any one who has more information (or can read the captions) please feel free to enlighten us!

I :heart: :astro: :)
Attachments
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS)# 2.jpg
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS)# 2.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS).jpg
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS).jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have any information that could help you out. But, I got say, I LOVE how cool Astro looks in the fourth grade edition!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Here are some more images: The first image is from "Astro Boy Returns" and shows Astro Boy with a white cape as he appears in the first installment in "Fourth Grader" magazine.
The second is from a book titled, "Let's Draw Manga: Astro Boy" and provides some information re: the changes shown in "First Grader" and "Fourth Grader" magazines. (Here translated as "First Grade Student" and "Fourth Grade Student".) Again any one who has more info please feel free to contribute! (The page also included Astro Boy as he appears in the story, "You're Guilty!" which is a Black Jack story in which Astro Boy makes an appearance, albeit in a different guise.)
Attachments
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS)# 4.jpg
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS)# 4.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS)# 3.jpg
ASTRO BOY RETURNS (1ST & 4TH GRADER EDITIONS)# 3.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Gotta say . . . those "nipples" are just plain odd looking. Then Dr. Tezuka seemed to incorporate them into Astro's "body protector." The cape is a nice touch (very super-hero) but Astro - as some of us have pointed out - doesn't hide his identity, and the cape seems to be almost frivilous (whereas with Jetter Mars, he used it to fly).

But that does make me wonder if Astro's (temporary) cape gave Tezuka the idea to make that a permenant part of Jetter Mars (and notice, JM doesn't wear clothes, but Astro does)

Great stuff, Astrobuddy!! Thanks for sharing. I noticed they said he wasn't well recieved, but maybe it's more because of his new outfit instead of being drawn as a slightly older character.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"AprilSeven" wrote:Gotta say . . . those "nipples" are just plain odd looking. Then Dr. Tezuka seemed to incorporate them into Astro's "body protector." The cape is a nice touch (very super-hero) but Astro - as some of us have pointed out - doesn't hide his identity, and the cape seems to be almost frivilous (whereas with Jetter Mars, he used it to fly).

But that does make me wonder if Astro's (temporary) cape gave Tezuka the idea to make that a permenant part of Jetter Mars (and notice, JM doesn't wear clothes, but Astro does)

Great stuff, Astrobuddy!! Thanks for sharing. I noticed they said he wasn't well recieved, but maybe it's more because of his new outfit instead of being drawn as a slightly older character.

I also think the cape is a nice touch, but I don't see how wearing it is "hiding his identity". Any way he doesn't wear it all the time. Just sort of as formal wear; the way Wonder Woman did.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Just out of quick curiosity; was this particular story in the original publication for the Darkhorse editions of the manga?

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Just out of quick curiosity; was this particular story in the original publication for the Darkhorse editions of the manga?

If you look at the first post in this thread you will notice that I mentioned that "Astro Returns" published in "Fourth Grader" magazine appeared in English in Dark Horse's "Osamu Tezuka's Original Astro Boy" vol.# 22! So the scene with Astro Boy wearing a cape is from that volume.

"Astro Boy"--First Grader" edition has never been translated into English and apparently only recently has been reprinted possibly this year to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the "TetsuWan Atom(u)" manga's inaugural appearance.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=Prettywitchiusaka;203037]Just out of quick curiosity; was this particular story in the original publication for the Darkhorse editions of the manga?

If you look at the first post in this thread you will notice that I mentioned that "Astro Returns" published in "Fourth Grader" magazine appeared in English in Dark Horse's "Osamu Tezuka's Original Astro Boy" vol.# 22! So the scene with Astro Boy wearing a cape is from that volume.

"Astro Boy"--First Grader" edition has never been translated into English and apparently only recently has been reprinted possibly this year to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the "TetsuWan Atom(u)" manga's inaugural appearance.

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
Our friend Strangewings is currently translating the 1st grade, & has already translated all but 3 pages of the 4th. I had to reinstall my security suite on my PC & am now running a scan, so all I can do now with respect to the 1st grade version is (because I am on my laptop) tell you that Atom has at least 3 new powers, or, I should say different powers, including the ability to become ATOMCOW! Those nipples are not so prominent for nothing!

5-ATOMCOWUNIT7-3_063-P-12-14.jpg
5-ATOMCOWUNIT7-3_063-P-12-14.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

He simply inhales, then juice! :ninja:

He can also time-travel. :astro:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;203052][QUOTE=Prettywitchiusaka;203037]Just out of quick curiosity; was this particular story in the original publication for the Darkhorse editions of the manga?

Our friend Strangewings is currently translating the 1st grade, & has already translated all but 3 pages of the 4th. I had to reinstall my security suite on my PC & am now running a scan, so all I can do now with respect to the 1st grade version is (because I am on my laptop) tell you that Atom has at least 3 new powers, or, I should say different powers, including the ability to become ATOMCOW! Those nipples are not so prominent for nothing!

[attachment=]1909[/attachment]

He can also time-travel. :astro: [/QUOTE]

Thank you, Jeffbert! And thank you to Stragewings.
To Strangewings: If you have time maybe you can take a look at the first post in this thread and see if you can translate some or all of it. I would try, but with so much Kanji, it would take me possibly over a week or more to do. So if you can, please do.
Also the overall story of "Astro Boy Returns" is that he is sort of a wanderer trying to get back home to his proper place and time. Is this the case for "Astro Boy--First Grader"?

Thank you again, you guys for your contributions!

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;203052][QUOTE=Prettywitchiusaka;203037]Just out of quick curiosity; was this particular story in the original publication for the Darkhorse editions of the manga?

[attachment=]1909[/attachment]

He can also time-travel. :astro: [/QUOTE]

:eek:

:tenma: They've my turned Tobio into a walking convenience store! My... Dream... Shattered... Forever... BANG!... Ka-pow.

Moral: If you have to do, go with a bang.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”