Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"Toshio" wrote:[QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;203532][QUOTE=StargazerLili;203521]
What Atom retcon special?

This one:
link to illegal material removed

Thank you StargazerLili! Very interesting! But isn't this just an episode of the TetsuWan Atom(u)/Astro Boy series?

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
It's just a movie which apparently got released before the TV series and the plot doesn't fit the events of the anime.[/QUOTE]

Oh! Thank you, Toshio!

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by Vergere on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to illegal material removed

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

There was a mangá chapter loosely based on it, although it showed Atom getting revolted with the older model robots getting discarted.
In that movie we don't see Tobio getting revolted and he doesn't even visit the robot recycle sector which turned a important plot in the final episode.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"StargazerLili" wrote:Yeah, that's what I said. They're not in the same continuities since Astro Boy has had about 4 different adaptations (?) since it first came out, and the really what the special has in common with the 2003 series is the art style.

Actually, in addition to having the same art style, they also share the same Japanese cast of the 2003 series. True, O'Shay has always had the same voice actor since the beginning. But that's clearly Shinya Owada as Tenma.

Actually, I find it kind of interesting that this short takes place after Hoshie's death. And while I do think there's a way to incorporate Hoshie and make her an interesting character, I love this short the way it is. It really gives credence to the idea of why Tenma wants to revive Tobio; it's more than just redemption, he has no one else.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:[QUOTE=StargazerLili;203510]Yeah, that's what I said. They're not in the same continuities since Astro Boy has had about 4 different adaptations (?) since it first came out, and the really what the special has in common with the 2003 series is the art style.

Actually, in addition to having the same art style, they also share the same Japanese cast of the 2003 series. True, O'Shay has always had the same voice actor since the beginning. But that's clearly Shinya Owada as Tenma.

Actually, I find it kind of interesting that this short takes place after Hoshie's death. And while I do think there's a way to incorporate Hoshie and make her an interesting character, I love this short the way it is. It really gives credence to the idea of why Tenma wants to revive Tobio; it's more than just redemption, he has no one else.[/QUOTE]

I think I saw somewhere that in one of the flashbacks, Tobio is saying that he was grateful for having his father after his mother died, but now Tenma is busy all the time (don't hold me to that, I can't speak Japanese).

With how somber the short is, it seemed like Dr. Tenma tried to distract himself from the pain of losing his wife with his work, and in the process shut everyone out. Even his own son. I'd like to think that he might not have realized he was doing this until it was too late, but only Tezuka :tezuka: knows for sure.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"StargazerLili" wrote:[QUOTE=Prettywitchiusaka;203536][QUOTE=StargazerLili;203510]Yeah, that's what I said. They're not in the same continuities since Astro Boy has had about 4 different adaptations (?) since it first came out, and the really what the special has in common with the 2003 series is the art style.

Actually, I find it kind of interesting that this short takes place after Hoshie's death. And while I do think there's a way to incorporate Hoshie and make her an interesting character, I love this short the way it is. It really gives credence to the idea of why Tenma wants to revive Tobio; it's more than just redemption, he has no one else.[/QUOTE]

I think I saw somewhere that in one of the flashbacks, Tobio is saying that he was grateful for having his father after his mother died, but now Tenma is busy all the time (don't hold me to that, I can't speak Japanese).

With how somber the short is, it seemed like Dr. Tenma tried to distract himself from the pain of losing his wife with his work, and in the process shut everyone out. Even his own son. I'd like to think that he might not have realized he was doing this until it was too late, but only Tezuka :tezuka: knows for sure.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you're far off in that statement. Tenma's character generally seems reclusive, so he probably didn't let many people in. If he had a good relationship with his wife, then I could defenitely see his work being an outlet to escape the pain he felt, and probably didn't notice he was shutting out his son until it was too late.

I personally like to think he eventually got over the pain, since he still had Tobio at that point. But Tobio's death eventually shocked him back into the reality that he's lost everyone he ever loved.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

I'm on Twitter.

Vergere
Administrator

Postby Vergere » 11 years ago

Thanks F-Man.

I would like to remind all of you that we do not allow links to illegal material, even if it is difficult to find. The reason is because laws protecting copyrighted material are becoming increasingly strict. Whether we like them or not, if we allow illegal links to be posted, we may end up like megaupload.
Restless guardian of this forum.

Despair spammer ye who enter here.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

I personally like to think he eventually got over the pain, since he still had Tobio at that point. But Tobio's death eventually shocked him back into the reality that he's lost everyone he ever loved.

It either did that or it sent him into some kind of denial.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”