Tetsuwan Atom Special: Birth of Atom retcon

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Toshio
Banned

Tetsuwan Atom Special: Birth of Atom retcon

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Did you guys watched that special?
I noticed that there are a lot of inconsistence if compared to the origin of Atom in the 2003 version.
What do you think?

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

It seemed to be kind of the opposite of the 2003 series at least in the order that things were mentioned. In the special we're told early on that Tobio died (and were shown :cry :) and how Astro is being made in his image, while in the series it isn't fully referenced until the end, with only a few hints scattered around.

Toshio
Banned

I can tell it's a retcon or just non canon as Tobio doesn't revolt against Dr. Tenma and neither finds the robot disposal facility.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

I don't think it's a retcon, maybe a re-imagining? It looks like it had more in common with the original manga where Tobio is given a model car (instead of a bike) that drives like the real thing, which he then puts together and drives to his demise.

Actually now that I think of it, the 2003 series might be the only version where Tobio outright gets angry at Dr. Tenma.

Either way, I'm not sure what continuity they were following but I still liked it.

Toshio
Banned

"StargazerLili" wrote:I don't think it's a retcon, maybe a re-imagining? It looks like it had more in common with the original manga where Tobio is given a model car (instead of a bike) that drives like the real thing, which he then puts together and drives to his demise.

Actually now that I think of it, the 2003 series might be the only version where Tobio outright gets angry at Dr. Tenma.

Either way, I'm not sure what continuity they were following but I still liked it.

It's mainly based in the mangá version, but we cannot tie-in with the animated 2003 series since it was about the conflict between father and son all around.
Even the final episode shows Tobio revolted to the point he leaded to his own demise.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Yeah, that's what I said. They're not in the same continuities since Astro Boy has had about 4 different adaptations (?) since it first came out, and the really what the special has in common with the 2003 series is the art style.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

What Atom retcon special?

I :heart: :astro: :)

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

This one:
link to illegal material removed
Last edited by Vergere on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: link to illegal material removed

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"StargazerLili" wrote:

This one:

Thank you StargazerLili! Very interesting! But isn't this just an episode of the TetsuWan Atom(u)/Astro Boy series?

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by Vergere on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toshio
Banned

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=StargazerLili;203521]

This one:

Thank you StargazerLili! Very interesting! But isn't this just an episode of the TetsuWan Atom(u)/Astro Boy series?

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
It's just a movie which apparently got released before the TV series and the plot doesn't fit the events of the anime.
Last edited by Vergere on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”