Why you hate the western version of Tetsuwan Atom?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Toshio
Banned

Why you hate the western version of Tetsuwan Atom?

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I have many reasons to hate the western release of Tetsuwan Atom (known as Astro Boy).
a) Censure.
b) Ridiculous names (the original series dub names are a insult).
c) Removal of many scenes like the characters behaving like children as they should act (a example in the 2003 version. They even removed the scene which Uran was having a dream which she is getting along with her brother, something which made the following scene of admitting her feelings lack emotion.).
d) Renaming of several characters (Uran renamed to Zoran was not even necessary. Calling her as "Astro Girl" in early dubs was ridiculous. Dr. Ochanomizu being called as "Elefun" was pathetic.).
e) Episodes merget with lack of important facts (child Atlas being removed from the 1980 version as a example).
f) Lies (A example of Atlas who was just a robot in the 2003 dub, rather than a person who had died).
g) Incorrect order of the episodes (Give me a break, Uran was debuted in episode 13, instead they showed her already getting along with Atom who was having to deal with Pluto).
h) Removal of the original sound tracks (think about the removal of True Blue and the annoying techno soundtrack in the 2003 version).
i) Characters having their personality ruined ("Astro" trying to act tough sounded pretty bad and his lines were too dumb).
h) Bad DVDs releases, instead of having the original version available in DVDs, they just used the junky TV version.
i) Vague origin: They didin't even showed Tobio's death in the dub and neither did mention of what happened with him in the 2003 dub.
Last edited by Toshio on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

This is why I am avoiding the 1963 and 2003 dubbed version, barring of course they're offered for free legally. If I ever get those, it'll be the Japanese versions.

The 1980 dub was pretty good. Despite some cuts here and there and some name change, it's pretty faithful to the original. The only major complaint is that they merged the first two episodes.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

In my country we never got the 1980 series, we got Jetter Mars who had a bad dub.
Mars was voiced by a middle aged man O_o
Anyway, I'm disappointed with the DVDs which were distributed in Brazil, because they have the USA version as basis of translation.
So, we got the junk as well.
They should sell something which is worth of our money and not junk, so people will don't care about fan translations.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

Yes all is true but what can you do waiting untill Anime Souls releases it ;)
and then ignoring the English versions completly but despite all of the i have watched the 03 series and am over half of what is the english version of the 60 series i just bare with it for the time being.

But if you want to talk about edits the 03 dub is more then okay compred to the 60 series so many things where cut out they even skipped episodes that where supose to be to violent (including the strongest robot on earth) to come up with the nummber 104 i read somewhere 104 in English was Japanese episode 124 !!!

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

You're all going to think I'm a loon, but I don't completely hate the dub version of the 2003 series. Or to put it more bluntly, I hate parts of the dub, but not the dub as a whole.

Now I should clarify, I've seen episodes of the Japanese dub. And yes, it is superior in every way. Right down to the point where there are episodes of the 2003 series I will only watch in Japanese. But there are still things the dub did that I actually like. For one, I think the dialogue flows better in the dub compared to the sub. I also really like the voice cast, or rather, how everyone sounds (sans Astro and O'Shay). Aside from that, I agree that the acting sounds very hockey at numerous points, and is nowhere near the quality of a Funimation dub ( or Sony's dub for Metropolis for that matter). I also appreciate that certain scenes (particularly during the Pluto episodes) were left silent (as in, there's no music blaring in the background during certain scenes). It's something you don't often see in a lot of kids anime dubbed for tv at the time, and I wish they'd done it more.

What I hate about the dub is their insistence to remove or play around with certain characters. Now I know that we have codes of standards and practices that tv producers must abide by, but that's still no excuse to alter certain things we as viewers would have been fine with. The mere fact that they took out Tobio's death, and therefore diminishing part of Tenma's backstory is inexcusable in my book. And while I like Candi Milo, I don't think she was right for the part of Astro. I also don't think it was necessary to tone down Astro's innocence just because he's the hero either.

Anyway, that's my two-sense.

AstroBoyGF
On a Flight into Space

Postby AstroBoyGF » 11 years ago

in all honesty i like the dubs for the 60s and 80s. i dont like the 03 that much cause of the catch phrase lets rocket they tried making him sound like naruto kinda or like every cookie cutter anime main protagonist, when he was the baby jesus of anime so to speak. thus that is and insult
And the nursery and Paradise Estate didn't really collapse. The moon's made of green cheese, and I'm the queen of England!"
-MLP lickety split

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

Terrible dubs, too much story changes, chopping out cute parts of Atomu, and list goes on and on and ON.

I prefer the original Japanese version, whether the 1963, 1980 or 2003 series.

Even the Japanese dub of the 2009 movie is better than its original American dub (if you ask me. But that's just my opinion X3)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Windswept Cloak
Banned

And they chopped out lots of wonderful songs, gave the characters silly old names, and the 2003 series wrecked Atomu's personality by focusing only on his heroism and trying to make him a "tough guy". And besides, lots of the important parts with the explainations were chopped out too.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

I'm gonna be honest here, I don't really "hate" any of the dubs. There are some things that I may dislike, but they're not the worst dubs I've heard by any stretch of the imagination.

I actually really love the 1960s dub. Sure, it's not perfect (and I wish we could've had all the episodes dubbed), but I still enjoy it just as much as the Japanese version. The punny names and other silly dubbing choices give it a certain charm. Of course, it's also the first Astro Boy series I was exposed to, so I am admittedly incredibly biased.

While I prefer the Japanese version of the 80s series just a little bit more, going back and reading the Jay Rath's posts about all the work he and the other voice actors and actresses did and the passion they had gave me a very great respect for that dub too.

I'm not happy about what happened to the 03 series, because it really got screwed over, but even then I'll admit some of the corny dialogue made me giggle (sans "Let's Rocket" and all of Astro's other forced catchphrases). But that's just my sense of humor.

Of course, I would gladly advocate the watching of all three versions in Japanese, were they more widely available. But at the same time, I feel like people need to be a little nicer to these dubs.
It's a magical day!

Windswept Cloak
Banned

I don't hate the 1963 dub. I dislike the 2003 English version, but the 1963 one is OK. Atomu's voice is very good in it (Billy Lou Watt, right?), and I like the grownups' voices. Especially the professor's voice, it makes me giggle. XD

But there's one thing I can't stand about it, just one thing: Uran is called Astro Girl, which doesn't make much sense to me. Well, at least it's not as bad as "Zoran" in the 2003 dub. That name drives me crazy.

Keep in mind that I don't dislike the voice actors and I appreciate their hard work. I only dislike the dubs, of course. XD
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”