Why you hate the western version of Tetsuwan Atom?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

And in the 2003 dub, Atomu - Astro, actually, I almost think of the 2003 Japanese and American Astro Boys as two people because they are way too different in personality - has a stupid catchphrase that drives me crazy too.

So if you ever catch me watching English dubbed episodes on YouTube, it's got to be the 1963 one ( XD ). I don't watch the 2003 dub anymore. O_O
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:.
Keep in mind that I don't dislike the voice actors and I appreciate their hard work. I only dislike the dubs, of course. XD

Yes, same here. I'm not sure if you've ever seen the thread before but one of my threads I've created a while back called "Anyone else think that some Tezuka dubs are bad?" shows how much I dislike the Astro boy 1980s and Black Jack 1990s english dubs. Anyways, I was just trying to say that I did not like the dubs (I've never said that I did not like the Voice actors.), but apparently, this thread started to become an endless battle. I guess people thought that I didn't like the voice actors and did not appreciate their hard work they put into it. (Which I've never even said that btw.) :shifty: I was just trying to give out my opinions about the shows dub and how it should've been improved.

For one thing, I can not stand bad english dubs of any anime period. It just makes me mad and very frusturated for some reason. And I don't know why, but it just does. I guess I'm thinking to myself "These people don't even try to act at all. It just sounds like they're reading the script. It's like they don't even care about the series and are just dubbing it to make some money. Ugh!" :lol: I guess it's because I want to become a voice actress when I grow up, and I actually train to improve my acting almost everyday by reading stuff from other anime. (Like subs for example. Today, I was actually reading some subs from the three eyed one. Though, I'm not really a big fan of that anime, but its alright. Just wish Sharaku could be less annoying. :lol: I only watched two episodes so far and I started it last year.)

Actually, I've noticed something. I'm getting better at it. I'm even starting to sound a little professional if I do say so myself. :p ! (I remember those last black jack recordings I made. They sound awful. :lol: )

Anyways, The reason why I don't like the 1980s Astro boy series is that I cannot stand the poor voice acting in it. I thought they could've done better. (But they tried. Though I have to be honest, they failed to impress me. Hope this dosen't offend anyone here.)

Though, I enjoyed the 2003 series and the 1960s series dub! They were awesome! :) !
Last edited by tailz on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"tailz" wrote:[QUOTE=Kuo-Yi;218717].
Keep in mind that I don't dislike the voice actors and I appreciate their hard work. I only dislike the dubs, of course. XD

Yes, same here. I'm not sure if you've ever seen the thread before but one of my threads I've created a while back called "Anyone else think that some Tezuka dubs are bad?" shows how much I dislike the Astro boy 1980s and Black Jack 1990s english dubs. Anyways, I was just trying to say that I did not like the dubs (I've never said that I did not like the Voice actors.), but apparently, this thread started to become an endless battle. I guess people thought that I didn't like the voice actors and did not appreciate their hard work they put into it. (Which I've never even said that btw.) :shifty: I was just trying to give out my opinions about the shows dub and how it should've been improved.

For one thing, I can not stand bad english dubs of any anime period. It just makes me mad and very frusturated for some reason. And I don't know why, but it just does. I guess I'm thinking to myself "These people don't even try to act at all. It just sounds like they're reading the script. It's like they don't even care about the series and are just dubbing it to make some money. Ugh!" :lol: I guess it's because I want to become a voice actress when I grow up, and I actually train to improve my acting almost everyday by reading stuff from other anime. (Like subs for example. Today, I was actually reading some subs from the three eyed one. Though, I'm not really a big fan of that anime, but its alright. Just wish Sharaku could be less annoying. :lol: I only watched two episodes so far and I started it last year.)

Actually, I've noticed something. I'm getting better at it. I'm even starting to sound a little professional if I do say so myself. :p ! (I remember those last black jack recordings I made. They sound awful. :lol: )

Anyways, The reason why I don't like the 1980s Astro boy series is that I cannot stand the poor voice acting in it. I thought they could've done better. (But they tried. Though I have to be honest, they failed to impress me. Hope this dosen't offend anyone here.)

Though, I enjoyed the 2003 series and the 1960s series dub! They were awesome! :) ![/QUOTE]

True :D

Though I really didn't like the 2003 English dub XP

In the 1980 dub, Atomu's English voice sounded too whiny for my liking. It seems cute at first but if you listen to it for a long time, it starts getting a little annoying. :shifty:

I personally think Billy Lou Watt did an excellent job voicing Atomu in the 1963 English dub ;)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

tailz
Banned

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:[QUOTE=tailz;218755][QUOTE=Kuo-Yi;218717].

Though, I enjoyed the 2003 series and the 1960s series dub! They were awesome! :) ![/QUOTE]

True :D

Though I really didn't like the 2003 English dub XP

In the 1980 dub, Atomu's English voice sounded too whiny for my liking. It seems cute at first but if you listen to it for a long time, it starts getting a little annoying. :shifty:

I personally think Billy Lou Watt did an excellent job voicing Atomu in the 1963 English dub ;) [/QUOTE]

That's ok. Everyone has they're opinions about things. (I didn't like the BGM for the 2003 dub. It was annoying and the music was mostly just 70s sounds to me. :lol: )

Yeah, a lot of people said that the 1980s english voice of Atom was cute at first, but then after a while it just got whiny and annoying to some. (I've heard this from a few other people in another thread before.) As for me, I just couldn't stand it. :lol:

And yeah! I love Billie Lou Watt's Astro boy voice for the 1960s english dub! It was cute and had that little boy touch to it. It sounded original and was very good voice acting for being made back in the 60s. I liked very much! :) !
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Didn't Billy Lou Watt also voice Uran (Sorry, I can't stand the name Astro Girl! Though it's slightly better than "Zoran" to me) in the 1963 series?

Windswept Cloak
Banned

If she did, then she is quite talented.

tailz
Banned

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:Didn't Billy Lou Watt also voice Uran (Sorry, I can't stand the name Astro Girl! Though it's slightly better than "Zoran" to me) in the 1963 series?

Yes, she also voice Uran as well. :) ! She was also the english voice for Kimba. I think in 2000 she voiced a character (can't remember who.) from Courage the cowardily dog as well. (That was a year before her death. :cry :) It's sad that she's not still with us today, but we will always know Billie Lou Watt's voice as the first Englsih voice for Astro boy!

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"tailz" wrote:[QUOTE=Kuo-Yi;218763]Didn't Billy Lou Watt also voice Uran (Sorry, I can't stand the name Astro Girl! Though it's slightly better than "Zoran" to me) in the 1963 series?

Yes, she also voice Uran as well. :) ! She was also the english voice for Kimba. I think in 2000 she voiced a character (can't remember who.) from Courage the cowardily dog as well. (That was a year before her death. :cry :) It's sad that she's not still with us today, but we will always know Billie Lou Watt's voice as the first Englsih voice for Astro boy![/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't know she voiced Kimba!! :D

我們會永遠記得她的! (We'll remember her forever!)

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Nope nope nope. I don't hate any of the dubs, none of them were awful by my standards and the only negative opinion I have against ANY of them rest in the choice of editing.

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

Ok, I am kind of late to the party in terms of responding here, but I would like to clarify that what I said about the voice actors is what influenced my own opinion. I was merely trying to talk about their efforts, not the people themselves. I never meant to imply anything about anyone else's opinions of the voice actors. If you thought that I was, then I am terribly sorry for any misconceptions I may have caused. vnv;
Last edited by Sporkia on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a magical day!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”