Why you hate the western version of Tetsuwan Atom?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Yeah the change in format bothered me a touch when I found out. That is one thing in the editing that really bothered me. I wonder why they decided to change the format?

At the very least dubbing is much better than it was 11 years ago and guidelines have changed drastically. If the show was re-dubbed today it would probably match the original much more.

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

@-Nick-

No, just because cyborg 009 is shounen, dosen't mean it's a kids show. Maybe the 60s anime could've been rated G, but as far as I know, in the original manga of cyborg 009, Joe and Francoise had a close relationship, and I've heard that at one point, they even had sex! (Which is a rare thing to see in classic anime and manga.)
Last edited by tailz on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Japanese are a completely different culture in which their guidelines for 'age appropriate' material are different than in other nations.

While I can't say for any certainty if Cyborg 009 is or is not meant for kids (and I mean kids under the age of 12) it is usually typical of anime/manga that are labeled as shounen or shoujo to be aimed at youth. It stems from the MEANING of the two words which implies 'boy' and 'girl' (as in adolescent under the ages of about 17).

Shounen/shoujo manga is typically aimed at Japanese youth under the age of 17 but older than 12 (of course older individuals read it!). So depending on how you define 'kid' it could be considered a kid's show, but more accurately I think it would be a 'young adult' show by Western standards.

tailz
Banned

"Earthshine" wrote:Japanese are a completely different culture in which their guidelines for 'age appropriate' material are different than in other nations.

While I can't say for any certainty if Cyborg 009 is or is not meant for kids (and I mean kids under the age of 12) it is usually typical of anime/manga that are labeled as shounen or shoujo to be aimed at youth. It stems from the MEANING of the two words which implies 'boy' and 'girl' (as in adolescent under the ages of about 17).

Shounen/shoujo manga is typically aimed at Japanese youth under the age of 17 but older than 12 (of course older individuals read it!). So depending on how you define 'kid' it could be considered a kid's show, but more accurately I think it would be a 'young adult' show by Western standards.

Yes, I already know that Earthshine. :D

I read the manga today, well, there's no signs of any "sex" or "nudity" yet, :rolleyes: but they do seem to cuss in it alot (Though, could be just a fan typing it out while scanning it.) also, they have racist comments and jokes in it.

I'm also certain that in the anime, they had sex jokes in it. I'm surprised that wasn't removed in the english dub. :w00t:
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Whitelion
Kokoro Robot

Postby Whitelion » 10 years ago

I don't really mind the original, as many other's have said before me, Billie Lou Watt was not a soprano, but she really seemed to love voicing Atom (and Leo for that matter) so I'll let that slide, just not something I'd wanna watch much. The 2003 version annoys me more though, because with that censorship, are you kidding me? I can understand the cuts in the 60's because violence in children's television wasn't really a thing back then. But still, at least Tobio dies in that dub! Even in 2003, kids were seeing Mufasa die! Ugh that dub makes me so mad, but the Voice Acting isn't that bad. :P If anything, I will say that so far the 80's dub is pretty good, I'm in the process of watching it right now.

tailz
Banned

"Whitelion" wrote:I don't really mind the original, as many other's have said before me, Billie Lou Watt was not a soprano, but she really seemed to love voicing Atom (and Leo for that matter) so I'll let that slide, just not something I'd wanna watch much. The 2003 version annoys me more though, because with that censorship, are you kidding me? I can understand the cuts in the 60's because violence in children's television wasn't really a thing back then. But still, at least Tobio dies in that dub! Even in 2003, kids were seeing Mufasa die! Ugh that dub makes me so mad, but the Voice Acting isn't that bad. :P If anything, I will say that so far the 80's dub is pretty good, I'm in the process of watching it right now.

Yeah, I didn't like how they cut the scene where Tobio dies in the 2003 series either. But, at least the Voice acting's ok. I liked it becuase I thought Candi Milo had a great voice for Astro boy. Though, I really like Billie Lou Watt's Astro voice. It's a classic. :cool:

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Whitelion
Kokoro Robot

Postby Whitelion » 10 years ago

"tailz" wrote:[QUOTE=Whitelion;218923]I don't really mind the original, as many other's have said before me, Billie Lou Watt was not a soprano, but she really seemed to love voicing Atom (and Leo for that matter) so I'll let that slide, just not something I'd wanna watch much. The 2003 version annoys me more though, because with that censorship, are you kidding me? I can understand the cuts in the 60's because violence in children's television wasn't really a thing back then. But still, at least Tobio dies in that dub! Even in 2003, kids were seeing Mufasa die! Ugh that dub makes me so mad, but the Voice Acting isn't that bad. :P If anything, I will say that so far the 80's dub is pretty good, I'm in the process of watching it right now.

Yeah, I didn't like how they cut the scene where Tobio dies in the 2003 series either. But, at least the Voice acting's ok. I liked it becuase I thought Candi Milo had a great voice for Astro boy. Though, I really like Billie Lou Watt's Astro voice. It's a classic. :cool: [/QUOTE]
Yeah, cutting out Tobio's death was pretty ridiculous. I really liked Astro's voice actor in that series though. Yeah, Billie was a great actor for her time, apparently she even wrote the scripts for a few episodes of Astro and Kimba.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"Whitelion" wrote:[QUOTE=tailz;218924][QUOTE=Whitelion;218923]I don't really mind the original, as many other's have said before me, Billie Lou Watt was not a soprano, but she really seemed to love voicing Atom (and Leo for that matter) so I'll let that slide, just not something I'd wanna watch much. The 2003 version annoys me more though, because with that censorship, are you kidding me? I can understand the cuts in the 60's because violence in children's television wasn't really a thing back then. But still, at least Tobio dies in that dub! Even in 2003, kids were seeing Mufasa die! Ugh that dub makes me so mad, but the Voice Acting isn't that bad. :P If anything, I will say that so far the 80's dub is pretty good, I'm in the process of watching it right now.

Yeah, I didn't like how they cut the scene where Tobio dies in the 2003 series either. But, at least the Voice acting's ok. I liked it becuase I thought Candi Milo had a great voice for Astro boy. Though, I really like Billie Lou Watt's Astro voice. It's a classic. :cool: [/QUOTE]
Yeah, cutting out Tobio's death was pretty ridiculous. I really liked Astro's voice actor in that series though. Yeah, Billie was a great actor for her time, apparently she even wrote the scripts for a few episodes of Astro and Kimba.[/QUOTE]

I find it even more ridiculous when you consider that you don't even see the kid die, you just see the aftermath.

Oh well, that's censorship for you I guess.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

"Sporkia" wrote:I'm gonna be honest here, I don't really "hate" any of the dubs. There are some things that I may dislike, but they're not the worst dubs I've heard by any stretch of the imagination.

I actually really love the 1960s dub. Sure, it's not perfect (and I wish we could've had all the episodes dubbed), but I still enjoy it just as much as the Japanese version. The punny names and other silly dubbing choices give it a certain charm. Of course, it's also the first Astro Boy series I was exposed to, so I am admittedly incredibly biased.

While I prefer the Japanese version of the 80s series just a little bit more, going back and reading the Jay Rath's posts about all the work he and the other voice actors and actresses did and the passion they had gave me a very great respect for that dub too.

I'm not happy about what happened to the 03 series, because it really got screwed over, but even then I'll admit some of the corny dialogue made me giggle (sans "Let's Rocket" and all of Astro's other forced catchphrases). But that's just my sense of humor.

Of course, I would gladly advocate the watching of all three versions in Japanese, were they more widely available. But at the same time, I feel like people need to be a little nicer to these dubs.
A case could be made for the 1960s and 1980s dubs considering the former was responsible for exposing anime outside of Japan and the 1980s dub was decent.

What I don't see is how anyone could defend the 2003 dub. It was rife with how a bad dub was made; cutting an episode, changing Atom's personality, some bad voice acting choices, editing out death references and highly censoring the show when it didn't need it. Unlike the 1960s dubs and shows like Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon, it also can't be credited with exposing anime outside of Japan or to a new audience since it bombed. In fact, this dub is the reason why Tezuka products is obscure in English-speaking parts of the world.

For these reason I show no respect towards the 2003 dub. I would have rather the show not been dubbed at all.

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

Let it be said that despite whatever corny dialogue I enjoyed, I don't defend the 2003 dub or the way it was handled. It was positively abysmal and my opinions of it would just be repeating what everyone else has already said. I'm just trying to make the best out of a bad situation instead of getting angry about it.
Yes, it sucks that English speaking countries can't seem to get a decent version of Astro to show to a new audience in recent years, but I doubt the 03 series will ever get the proper treatment it deserves (i.e., a better dub, or decent subtitles at the very least). But dubbing has gotten better since then, so all we can really do is hope that whatever comes along next will be better, I guess.
It's a magical day!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”