Why you hated the Astro Boy Movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

Postby GreenDarthVader » 11 years ago

I cannot express how much I loathed the movie. And by that I mean I literally cannot express it due to that movie being locked away in my psyche where it can hurt me no longer.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I believe that Tezuka himself would refuse something like that to be done if he was alive.
It's nothing like what he did to make the series shine, it's just a failure.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Actually, if he was around, I don't think he'd object. Rather, he would probably hang around and help things along, assuming he wasn't in charge. It'd be like how Shigeru Miyamoto helps with each new Zelda game: he's not in the actual process anymore, but he still helps every now and then, alongside producing the series.

Of course, we'll never know for sure how it would have been. But I'm sure he would've been involved in the case of one of his most beloved creations.

As for myself, the movie is kind of bad, but not unwatchable. The harsh milataristic and political themes of the story sucked, and there was plenty of corny humor (granted, it IS a kids' movie), and Nick Cage is- well, he's just Nick Cage. :|

The one thing that gets the most under my skin, is the way it ended. My god, the theremin and everything... I dunno whether to laugh, or cry in exasperation at its sheer awfulness. This is what makes an already bastardized and unpleasant trip down memory lane, a disaster. ;-;
lolwut

Toshio
Banned

Tezuka would not like his characted to be represented like the movie did.
A lot of people who are not familiar with the series got misleaded.
He would want something which would make justice with his work and not a pile of trash like that half assed movie was.
Even the brazilian dub of it was junk...

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

I liked the movie that how I got into astro boy I heard about the movie then about the cartoon I do like the cartoon better the movie changed what really happen and what astro's energy really is
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

racoonangel
Robot President

but it did show all of his super powers unlike 2003 versions it didn't show his machine guns, but they replaced that for scanning vision
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Toshio
Banned

The butt machine guns were a bad idea which they wanted to add. It was still junk, nevertless...

racoonangel
Robot President

well what did you like about the movie I enjoyed that astro made friends with cora and how he showed a relation ship with Dr.Elefun and where did that name come from anyway wasn't it actually Dr.Ochanomizu
Last edited by racoonangel on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

racoonangel
Robot President

I liked the movie but it didn't really show what really happened in the cartoon
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Actually, if he was around, I don't think he'd object. Rather, he would probably hang around and help things along, assuming he wasn't in charge. It'd be like how Shigeru Miyamoto helps with each new Zelda game: he's not in the actual process anymore, but he still helps every now and then, alongside producing the series.

Of course, we'll never know for sure how it would have been. But I'm sure he would've been involved in the case of one of his most beloved creations.

As for myself, the movie is kind of bad, but not unwatchable. The harsh milataristic and political themes of the story sucked, and there was plenty of corny humor (granted, it IS a kids' movie), and Nick Cage is- well, he's just Nick Cage. :|

The one thing that gets the most under my skin, is the way it ended. My god, the theremin and everything... I dunno whether to laugh, or cry in exasperation at its sheer awfulness. This is what makes an already bastardized and unpleasant trip down memory lane, a disaster. ;-;

I would hope so. Trying to create film without the creator's direct involvement (while they're still alive) is kind of off-putting. But to be fair, Tezuka was a very strong minded person, so I doubt he would have just let anything fly with Astro Boy if he was still alive.

Yeah, I don't get the logic of casting Nick Cage as Tenma. This might be my own personal bias(given the 03 series), but Tenma should be a bit more deep-voiced than he is in the film. Heck, he should have been a bit more dark personality wise than he was depicted. Or at the very least imply that he could go off his rocker if pushed too far, but I guess it was considered "too dark" for a kids movie or something.

As for the humor...yeah, I agree, it was pretty awkward and kind of forced. I've actually seen some people try to defend the humor in this film, citing that Tezuka also put in slapstick humor into his manga. And while that's true, the difference is that Tezuka seamlessly blended the comedy into the drama, so that it felt natural. The movie tries to do that, but it just comes off as forced to me, and very awkward in where it's placed.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”