Why you hated the Astro Boy Movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

I agree he was more dark in the cartoon it didn't show that side of him in the flim
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Tezuka liked stories which had a message...
That movie is so shamefull, because it killed the concept of Atom powered robot, it gone to the ridiculous non existing "blue core" and "red core".
As Tezuka did apphroved the use of atomic energy for peaceful purposes removing it just because the american politic of not making mention of atomic energy is a insult for his ideals.
Even the scene which Dr. Tenma had a final chat with Atom before he fought the Peace Keeper was more awkward than dramatic.
Why they can't make something which can make justice with the original series? In the end a lot of people make false judgement of the series because of that junk.
It was like when a bunch of idiots from Brazil decided to make their "own manga" of Megaman, they made the "self proclaimed" mangá become into a ridiculous story with discaracterized characters, aimless stories and even nudity from Roll's part (YUCK).
So a lot of people thought the Megaman games were junk like that.
Another huge mistake was made by Mauricio de Sousa Productions, see that thread and discuss. Unfortunatelly is not only the americans who misleaded the people about Tetsuwan Atom series, but also a brazilian studio...
Last edited by Toshio on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

well the way astro got his name was so different and the way he died too
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

The original plot could've been different- I heard that they swapped directors (as well as axed over half of the working staff) about halfway through development.

I really wish I could see more of the early animation from before that period. Astro even looked different (granted, he was still too much older-looking, and those eyelashes were kinda creepy- imagine THOSE in 3D! :lol: ).

I actually really like his machine guns. (although it's debatable whether they come from his hips, or his rear end) In the right context, they are actually quite practical. The movie only used them once, though (in a kinda corny joke, that I admit kinda makes me smile a little; when you really think about how odd such a design choice really is, and how unusual it would be for him to find out, had he not known that they were there). I wish they added the finger lasers, though.

They probably patched together a weird and futuristic power source simply because an atomic powered robot of that scale is probably impossible (and yet, his jet boots manage to keep him airborne... :confused: ) I don't even think he was atomic powered in the 2003 anime; his name came from a random company's acronym, instead of being based on his power source.
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Yeah, I'd love to know what those original plans were. Heck, I'd love to know what Genndy Tartakovsky was planning on doing with this movie, especially given his track record of success in cartoons and film.

Toshio
Banned

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:The original plot could've been different- I heard that they swapped directors (as well as axed over half of the working staff) about halfway through development.

I really wish I could see more of the early animation from before that period. Astro even looked different (granted, he was still too much older-looking, and those eyelashes were kinda creepy- imagine THOSE in 3D! :lol: ).

I actually really like his machine guns. (although it's debatable whether they come from his hips, or his rear end) In the right context, they are actually quite practical. The movie only used them once, though (in a kinda corny joke, that I admit kinda makes me smile a little; when you really think about how odd such a design choice really is, and how unusual it would be for him to find out, had he not known that they were there). I wish they added the finger lasers, though.

They probably patched together a weird and futuristic power source simply because an atomic powered robot of that scale is probably impossible (and yet, his jet boots manage to keep him airborne... :confused: ) I don't even think he was atomic powered in the 2003 anime; his name came from a random company's acronym, instead of being based on his power source.

You don't seem to have played Tetsuwan Atom for Playstation 2, lol
It was based in the 2003 anime and the 3D models were much more convincing than that pile of junk which was the movie.
In most scenes the 'movie' character looked like a retard rather than the robot which we know and love.
Also the voice acting was pretty poor and lacked real emotion.
And the music? What the hell was that, they call that trash as music??
The butt machine gun is still something obsolete...
Imagine if he went to jump in a chair and missfired and if he used the butt machine gun and turned around to hit his targets while human or robots bystanders were nearby?
A weapon like machine guns are pretty senseless for a robot who is meant to not harm humans, because the chance of shotting innocents is huge.
Last edited by Toshio on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 11 years ago

You are aware the butt machine guns are from the original manga right?
It wasn't perfect but I actually think it's better than Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution.
I admit Nicholas Cage should NOT be doing voice acting :P
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toshio
Banned

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:You are aware the butt machine guns are from the original manga right?
It wasn't perfect but I actually think it's better than Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution.

I know it perfectly well, but the machine guns were pretty pointless for a robot who fought for peace.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"Toshio" wrote:[QUOTE=Dragonrider1227;204415]You are aware the butt machine guns are from the original manga right?

I know it perfectly well, but the machine guns were pretty pointless for a robot who fought for peace.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Regardless of how pacifistic you are, you're going to need weapons to at least defend yourself. Heck, Vash the Stampede carries around a gun he uses solely for defence and stun purposes, and he's just as much a stickler for love and peace as Astro is.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 11 years ago

I ADORED the movie. And everyone I know who saw it loved it. I think it was the best incarnation of Astro Boy to date. The writers of the film tried to make him more relevant, and more human and sympathetic. And I think they succeeded. The production values were stellar. The voice acting was excellent - yes, even Nic Cage. My only quibble is that the original awesome Astro Boy theme song was left out of the film, which I think was a major mistake, because it has great nostalgia value, and nostalgia is certainly part of Astro Boy's appeal.

Why the film failed is probably due to Astro's long absence from the big and small screens - people in general don't know who he is, and why they should care, and also Summit Entertainment's abysmal marketing. The trailers for the film were terrible - they failed to introduce/re-introduce the character to audiences, and failed to make it clear that the film was for ALL audiences, not just little kids.

Take a look at the reviews for the film over at Amazon. Most of them are very appreciative, and the film has been given 4 out of 5 stars. I think it's a movie that will gain status as the years go by, as has another "failed" film, The Iron Giant. It kinda breaks my heart that Astro Boy the movie failed. I would have loved to see a sequel, and/or seen it gain a TV spinoff. As it is, all I can do is watch the movie over and over, and treasure it every time...*sigh*

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”