Depends on the character
53%
Doesn't matter to me
6%

Total votes: 17

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Oh here is something interesting. The Japanese space agency (bet you didn't know they HAD one) has launched various science research satellites. They usually give them two names, one while it is under development, and another when it is finally in orbit. Well one such satellite (http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/tenma/tenma.html) was called "Tenma" but was developed under the project name "Astro B" (there was also an "Astro A"). See the connection here? Wonder if someone at the JSA was a Tezuka fan?

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

I, for one, doubt it is a coincidence. :D

@April: Oh, really? I wish I had more volumes. All I have is a value-combination of the first two. >.<

It is interesting to note that in Japan, the 2003 series used both names in the title. In Japan, he is both the Mighty Atom AND Astro Boy. He's widely recognized by both names/titles. Besides, that is not the worst dub name in the world, I'm sure.

@Toshio: A pinto is either a bean, an old type of car, or a pony where I come from.

The problem with "Uran" isn't just the "urine" dilemma (and if you pronounce it right, there shouldn't be any problems at all); there is also the close sound to the word "Uranus", which just so happens to have two unflattering standard pronunciations- which is a shame, because Uranus is cool- both the planet AND the definition (a personification of the sky). But like I said, if you say it the right way, then no big deal. And I had NO IDEA that Zoran is a dude's name. :eek:

And by the way, Toshio... what kind of problem do you have against Zoras? :mad:
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Actually Uran is a form of Element #92, AKA Uranium which WAS named after the planet or god take your pick. Probably picked this name since her brother is named 'Atom', maybe Tezuka had a thing for atomic power.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Zoran sounds like a stupid name for her.
Come on, guys... The series is about a atom powered robot.
And it's obvious that the names of possible siblings would be based in that matter.
We should give more value for the real names, rather than adapted names which only exist because the translators are a bunch of sissies who keep messing everything.
Remember: the ORIGINAL NAMES will NEVER change.
That's why the adapted names are USELESS, they keep changing due new translation groups.
And you may even lose track of characters because of it.
Osamu Tezuka believed that atomic power could be used for peaceful ways.
Don't give attention to sissies who keep changing names as if the show would promotion atomic bombs or atomic accidents.
Uran could be also the short for "Uranus" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus_%28mythology%29 as well. But Uranium is the real reason.
By the way, would you like if they said that "Zoran" represented a element called "Zoranium"? It would reminds of "Zeronium" too, but it's forced...
Hah, hah, hah!!

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 11 years ago

I actually prefer the Japanese names, because they were the names Osamu Tezuka intended.

But a good localized name is good too if it works. For example, I think Mustachio is a good swapped name for Higeoyaji, I feel it carries the meaning of the name while making it understandable to English speakers. In this type of localization, I can't say I'd wanna be calling Professor Ochanomizu as Professor Teawater or Professor Tenma as Professor Pegasus though. :lol:

As for complete name changes, it's hit or miss. Elefun is okay, but not liking the name O'Shay as much. The name Astro Boy... I've never been completely sure what I think of it, but I don't dislike it.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

I wasn't suggesting that Uran was named after Uranus; just pointing out similarities in pronunciation, as far as most English adaptations go.

The idea that it promotes nuclear warfare is outstandingly absurd. That wasn't the reason for Atom's name change, and history is what keeps his dub name the same.
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Exactly, especially when you consider that he's known in Japan under both titles. Yes, he will always be known to the Japanese as Mighty Atom. But at the same time, Japan, nor Tezuka Productions seems very disowning of the name either, since he has been mentioned as Astro Boy a few times before.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

Generally I prefer and use the original Japanese names, but for some reason I use Atom/Astro and Photar/Epsilon interchangeably.
"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."

Come and see me at:http://liliopsida.deviantart.com/

Astro-Rokku-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astro-Rokku-chan » 11 years ago

Really, it all depends on the person. Some people prefer using the original Japanese names, some prefer the English names. I couldn't care less what people decide to use. I usually find myself using the English names, because I live in America and that's what I grew up with and hear most often. Occasionally I use the original names, but that doesn't mean that they are any less important or hold any less value in my mind just because I don't use them as often. And yes, many times the original names hold more meaning and sound better, but really, it has a lot to do with the character, what you grew up with and what you prefer. Honestly, I don't think it should matter at all which ones people decide to use. :P

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

"Zoran" was a lack of consistense of the character's name, she was Uran back in the 1983 series dub and "Astro Girl" in the 1963 dub which doesn't made sense since she could be mistook with the title character if somebody said "Astro" when she was present. Also, it would stupid if her full name was "Zoranium", yuck...
We should not say that Miki Maruyama voiced "Zoran" in the original, because it was just a name chosen by the dub team.
Also, it doesn't make sense refering to "Zoran" when you're clearly commenting a pic or fanart of Uran from the 1983 series.
It also don't make sense saying that "Zoran" splashed water in "Astro" face in the original version, as that scene was removed from the dub.
Nor it does make sense saying that "Zoran" made several episode previews in the original, as the episode previews were omitted from the dub.
And the voice was clearly of Miki Maruyama as well.
Last edited by Toshio on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”