ASTRO BOY'S 50th ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATION IN JAPAN!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

ASTRO BOY'S 50th ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATION IN JAPAN!

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

The Tezuka Osamu website reports that an exhibition/lecture is taking place from Jan. 19 thru March 24 called "The Day Atom Flew" commemorating the 50th anniversary of the first broadcast of "Tetsuan Atomu" in Japan.

This year is a big year for Tezuka fans as three anniversaries are marked this year. The 60th anniversary of "Princess Knight", the 40th anniversary of "Black Jack" and of course "Astro Boy", the one that started it all!

One other thing. Contrary to what some people think, Dr. Tezuka was mostly pleased with what Fred Ladd was doing to his "Mighty Atom" and turning him into "Astro Boy". True Tezuka did have some criticism, but these were mostly based on cultural differences. As a matter of fact Dr. Tezuka was pleased with the English names given to his characters, especially "HigeOyaji's" English name, "Mr. Pompous" which it is said he found most amusing.

While there are some who may not care for the original series, just remember this: Of all the series it was the most popular version of all the versions since 1951 and it's the one that started it all.

I :heart: :astro: :D

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Hey, it ran for 193 episodes! Few TV shows made that number! The other two Astro Boy series only made it to 52.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:Hey, it ran for 193 episodes! Few TV shows made that number! The other two Astro Boy series only made it to 52.

The 2003-4 series only made it to 50!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

Well it's a great year for Tezuka stuff indeed with a Live action western black jack series coming out this year possibly and with a american Dororo movie coming out in end of the year maybe also, Dimond comics striking deals to get some off the wall tezuka titles published via comic publishers and of course Anime Souls starting up well and rightstuff getting out more tezuka english dubs :p .
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I just wanna see the 89 60's episodes never release to the west!!! :cry:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

"AprilSeven" wrote:I just wanna see the 89 60's episodes never release to the west!!! :cry:
It may just never happen you have waited 50 years or so for them by now well woudn't make sense for them to pop up out of the blue just because some company's are trying to be a bit more inovative.
I can't even begin to imagene what it is like to wait that long for it and yet i have bought the Japanese set with those episodes so i could actually watch them now but yeha no eng subs .....

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

Anime Sols opens up great possibilities. It would be surprising that the current Mushi doesn't join them, and once they do, the floodgates of great classics will be opened, including the first Astro Boy series in Japanese. Their website has a contact form, so that makes it even better... ;)
I'm on Twitter.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

Hopefully, the off-chance occurs that we get the 1960s and 2000s series in English subs streaming. I'd watch every episode put up if that was the case.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

"astarisborn94" wrote:Hopefully, the off-chance occurs that we get the 1960s and 2000s series in English subs streaming. I'd watch every episode put up if that was the case.
Well i still would want it on dvd then.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Paying to watch the 1963 series doesn't feel so good.
Hope they release something to celebrate the date, rather than making viewers to pay for watching the 1963 japanese version.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”