Science fiction or Science Fantasy

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Science fiction or Science Fantasy

Postby Photar » 11 years ago

I usually avoid wizards and magic themed books in the same way a jogger avoids stepping on dog sh** at the park but my thesis topic is centred around how we classify fantasy texts (written and filmic) and whether cross-cultural texts like the studio Ghibli films garner different readings/experiences when engaged with by people of other cultures.....WOOOOOOOOOOSH

My qstn is: Do we class Tetsuwan-Atom as science fiction.....or science fantasy?

I am putting a single condition on your very-much-appreciated responses.

NO looking up definitions of either term on the internet i.e you read the post and you answer using what you already know or think.

But here's a small helper......

'Star Wars' is generally considered as cra-- sorry 'Science Fantasy' whilst Prometheus or Blade Runner is 'Science Fiction'

Thanks gang
[sigpic][/sigpic]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

I think SciFi is characterized by stories that stick to scientifically plausible elements. Though time travel & speed of light travel are at this time beyond the current technology, & are in fact, as I recall, theoretically impossible for living beings, anyway, they are based upon solid science. But, telekinesis, on the other hand, seems more like a fantasy element. So, to answer the question, I think the Mighty Atom corpus contains both scifi & fantasy elements.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

I'll have to agree with Jeffbert that Astro Boy contains both science fiction and science fantasy elements, but I think it leans more toward science fiction. For example, when there are fantasy-type creatures in Astro Boy, they're a robot. Also, there's not really anything like magic in Astro Boy even though certain robots can shoot laser beams.

When I think of science fantasy, I think of Star Wars (like you said Fotar), Star Trek, John Carter, or other stories of that sort. To me, Astro Boy doesn't fit into the category that those stories fall under.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

There is also both science fiction and fantasy in Star Wars. The space travel elements and the 'droids are pure SciFi, the Jedi stuff is fantasy. BTW, Robots at one time WOULD have been considered Sci-Fantasy, not so today. The original robot story goes back to Jewish folklore in the Golem story upon which R.U.R., where the word 'robot' was coined, was based.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I consider Atom to be science fiction.

Back the late 80's when I got my first VHS of the 60's anime from The Right Stuf, I was stunned at the "fantasy" elements that had become 'reality' - "camcorder," cell phone, architecture - but yeah, no FLYING CARS (or Mighty Atom . . . at least as far as we know! :whistling :)

Still, I feel Tezuka was really making an effort to describe a future that might actually come to pass - not just "tell a story" or try to dream up "magical" characters. There certainly were aspects of "fantasy" throughout all the different incarnations of Astro . . . but I think keeping a focus on things that could actually come to pass is what made the work compelling and held my interest (as well as the over-arching message).
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

"Shiyonasan" wrote:I'll have to agree with Jeffbert that Astro Boy contains both science fiction and science fantasy elements, but I think it leans more toward science fiction. For example, when there are fantasy-type creatures in Astro Boy, they're a robot. Also, there's not really anything like magic in Astro Boy even though certain robots can shoot laser beams.

When I think of science fantasy, I think of Star Wars (like you said Fotar), Star Trek, John Carter, or other stories of that sort. To me, Astro Boy doesn't fit into the category that those stories fall under.

Actually, there were a few episodes with characters possessing supernatural powers. 134, Operation Escape (-- --), of which -- a thread will be forthcoming, has a few. 185, Star of Africa (-- --) also has such power.

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 11 years ago

I agree with everyone, I think it is both. But more so leaning towards the science fiction side.

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Photar » 11 years ago

You guys are beyond awesome. And can you see why I asked to give your OWN opinions (and not wikipedia's). I believe Jeffbert nailed it first when he said that the element of [I]plausibility[I] in any filmic text where technology and advancement of such features heavily will determine its genre. I mean the entire meaning of fantasy is based around that which is NOT plausible.

Damn. Cant use Astroboy in my thesis.....................sigh

Thanks heaps guys
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 11 years ago

hi- to me ASTROBOY is possible future! JULES VERNE I THINK SAID- SOMETHING LIKE TELEVISION would be possible in a thousand year- he was wrong by over 900 hundred years- pray everyone eternal salvation and safety- your friend always!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Isaac Asimov predicted hand held calculators in his 1950's 'Foundation' series. He also predicted something called 'Psycho-history' something that is now being experimented with thanks to today's super computers. Asimov was probably one of the most accurate predictors of future technology among science fiction authors of the last century, much of his 'fiction' is now becoming fact. One of his most popular science fiction topics was, of course, robotics. He started his robot series just a tad before Tezuka started writing about them. I wonder if either one of them influenced the other.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”