Who's your favorite vilian from Astro Boy (or ANY Tezuka story)?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Although he's technically not a "villain," I'd say the "villainous side" of Tenma! :d evil: Especially considering how they interpreted his character in the 2003 series . . . he is the consummate "mad scientist!" :w00t:

Well thought!

"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:3. Atlas since this is still an Astro Boy forum let's give Atlas third place shall we but seriously the way he was portrayed in the 1980 Anime was just amazing once again a Tezuka villan who isn't evil from his own will this one of course even gives his the life to safe earth but is stil evil for most of the story.

That was my first choice.

And so my two "villains" are actually not 100% villains. I guess that is because I really like more complex character. If I had to choose a villain that has no real "good" side known (at least to my knowledge), I would go with Skunk. He's very entertaining! :D

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Before I even consider this question, kscharf, are you restricting it to just the stars, or do even single episode characters qualify for consideration? The posts thus far, are only supporting stars, but they all have many roles. Lamp, for instance, had a comical role in 1 AB episode, the conclusion of which had not only him, but the other crooks decide that though the rocket's fuel was low, they were not going to leave Atom behind. But that was a departure from Lamp's usual character.

I'm not sure that there are many true 'single episode' characters, as Tezuka does seem to 'recycle' at least parts of all of his characters (though various 'monsters', aliens, and robots may be unique). However if you have a favorite heavy who appears only once or twice, go give him/her their fifteen minutes of fame.

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 11 years ago

I chose Atlas, kinda the whole bad-good guy thing, not sure.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

O.k., offhand, I select Itachi. He is one of Hamegg's characters, yet, near the end of Dororo, he seems sympathetic & even supportive of Dororo, whom he had just discovered was a girl. She was very upset, because as long as she passed for a boy, she felt strong; once revealed to be a girl, she was ashamed.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

^Spoiler warnings dude.
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:O.k., offhand, I select Itachi. He is one of Hamegg's characters, yet, near the end of Dororo, he seems sympathetic & even supportive of Dororo, whom he had just discovered was a girl. She was very upset, because as long as she passed for a boy, she felt strong; once revealed to be a girl, she was ashamed.

I just finished reading Dorono a few weeks ago so I remember that one. I think Tezuka got tired of Dorono, at least he cut the series short before all of the demons were found an killed off. Still, one Dorono's secret was let know (it was hinted at several times earlier though) that kinda closed the story.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;208046]Although he's technically not a "villain," I'd say the "villainous side" of Tenma! :d evil: Especially considering how they interpreted his character in the 2003 series . . . he is the consummate "mad scientist!" :w00t:

Well thought!

"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:3. Atlas since this is still an Astro Boy forum let's give Atlas third place shall we but seriously the way he was portrayed in the 1980 Anime was just amazing once again a Tezuka villan who isn't evil from his own will this one of course even gives his the life to safe earth but is stil evil for most of the story.

That was my first choice.

And so my two "villains" are actually not 100% villains. I guess that is because I really like more complex character. If I had to choose a villain that has no real "good" side known (at least to my knowledge), I would go with Skunk. He's very entertaining! :D [/QUOTE]

I'd go one step further and say that he's a mad scientist fully realized.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;208333]O.k., offhand, I select Itachi. He is one of Hamegg's characters, yet, near the end of Dororo, he seems sympathetic & even supportive of Dororo, whom he had just discovered was a girl. She was very upset, because as long as she passed for a boy, she felt strong; once revealed to be a girl, she was ashamed.

I just finished reading Dorono a few weeks ago so I remember that one. I think Tezuka got tired of Dorono, at least he cut the series short before all of the demons were found an killed off. Still, one Dorono's secret was let know (it was hinted at several times earlier though) that kinda closed the story.[/QUOTE]Well the main reason still was because Tezuka needed time for his sci-fi epic Prince Norman and it so happened to turn out this way ... i don't actually think he got tired of Dororo it was pretty popular and still got animated a few years later despite the fact that the TV network Fuji TV din't wanted to pay much for production costs but Tezuka still wanted it to go on so it actually became the last Anime to be made in Black and white (1969)

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:^Spoiler warnings dude.

:blush: Oops! I was only thinking of the three volume set that was released a few years ago! :blush: I forgot that Dororo had been re-released as a single volume, just recently.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

I'm just gonna jump in here...

My favorite Astroboy villain is Skunk. I really enjoy his 2003 voice and design and his laugh from the 1980s Japanese version. The way he plans things and carries them out, such as setting up a bigger problem somewhere else to force the police away from him, is really cool to me. He's diabolical but smart, and that makes him a great villain to me.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”