A new voice for Astro?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

A new voice for Astro?

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Since I first got on here, I've noticed that there are many who would like to see the 03 series re-dubbed. With not cuts ala Miyazaki, the original score, and a new cast.

As much as I'd like to see that happen however (especially by Funi), it's mostly likely just a dream to be sought after, and will most likely remain one. Still though, there's always new stuff to look forward to with our little hero. Such as potential films, and even (potentially) a new anime series in the near future. And with the possibility of those making their way over to the United States, you're going to need a voice cast.

And in likelihood of that ever happening, I think it's safe to say we all have our own opinions on who should voice which character. Specifically, Astro himself.

That's what I'd like to discuss today;

Who do you think should be Astro's new dub voice?

For me, I have only one choice in mind. And that's Maxey Whitehead.

She is a Funimation regular, who got her start in live theatre. She's only been with Funi for three years now, but already, she has gotten quite a few significant roles. Specifically replacing Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse Elric in FMA Brotherhood. She's also played some other significant roles, such as Crona in Soul Eater, and Czeslaw Meyer in Baccano.

So, yeah, she's played a lot of boyish or dark characters in her tender with Funi. But she has great acting chops, and can deliver emotion well.

That's ultimately my reason for choosing her to be Astro. For the type of character Astro is, you need someone who sounds wide eyed and innocent, but can easily turn around and be serious when called for. Whitehead has all of those, and I think she'd be a great Astro.

But that's just me.

Who would you guys like to see cast as Astro?

AstroBoyGF
On a Flight into Space

Postby AstroBoyGF » 11 years ago

well i think it would be fun i love to voice act and i can do uran and astro 60s voices. and i can play females and older women. possible another boys voice
And the nursery and Paradise Estate didn't really collapse. The moon's made of green cheese, and I'm the queen of England!"
-MLP lickety split

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

hmmm . . . I don't know any young actors or female voice actors to tackle that role. I enjoyed the poise and humility Billie Lou Watt gave the 1960's anime Astro. And I really liked Freddie Highmore's voice for him (although that characterization was much more savvy and "attitude" than the Astro of the 60's)

I guess something between those two . . . but it would be great if it could actually be a boy. Come to think of it . . . I really liked the sound of the fellow who voiced the 80's Canadian dub - Steven Bernardski or something like that...
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

I really liked freddie highmore's voice in the movie love the accent really suited astro for the movie
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 11 years ago

For the 2003 series, I would have liked it if they kept the voice he had in the pilot trailer thing. I really like it.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Yeah, same here. Speaking if which, does anyone know if that was Mona Marshall doing Astros' voice in the pilot?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

I never saw the pilot . . . is there a clip of it anywhere (legal?). I have the boxed set, but it's not included

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

yeah I wouldn't want to change his dub voice in the 2003, I like it it's cute
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"AprilSeven" wrote:I never saw the pilot . . . is there a clip of it anywhere (legal?). I have the boxed set, but it's not included

I can help you with that, April;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7U-XbAp-s

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Oh, that IS a cute voice . . . I guess it all depends what "age" he's supposed to be . . . the voice in the pilot sounds like a boy of 9 or 10. The voice in the 2003 series sounds sligthly older - like around 12-14. The 80's American dub sounds like a young 8, and the 60's dub could be anywhere from 9 - 12.

Move and 2003 Astro couldn't sing in a boy's choir anymore - but the rest could! :p

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”