What's the best Astro Boy series?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
amado
Kokoro Robot

Postby amado » 11 years ago

Many thanks, ASTROBUDDY and Earthshine for your kind replies and trying to help me. :blush:

I ordered Manga Entertainment's release of Astro Boy 1980’s days ago. The DVD box set has just arrived, and it's amazing! It contains the episodes in English as well as in Japanese with English subtitles! ;)

It's really a great experience to watch Astro Boy! :astro:
Attachments
ASTRO BOY 1980.jpg
ASTRO BOY 1980.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

Enjoy! :astro:

amado
Kokoro Robot

Postby amado » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Enjoy! :astro:

Thanks a lot, dear. :)

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

Happy for you amado!

Oh how I wish I had this boxset...

Make sure to watch the first two episodes uncut on Viki for the full experience. :)
I'm on Twitter.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:[QUOTE=amado;208777]

I wish to be able to download the episodes from the link above with English subtitles in order to watch them on my TV. After I had downloaded an episode, I found that the English subtitles were invisible.. :o hmy: Why?! Could anyone help me please?

My TV does this too if it's an MKV and the English subtitles are not listed as English in the file, many subtitles are just listed as 'subtitle' by subbers.

As for the actual thread question...

Well each anime has its own 'flavor' so to speak, making them all unique and enjoyable. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, and I won't declare any one of them as 'the best' because I feel that that is unfair.

I liked the original 60s anime because it had such charm and heart put into it. I liked the 80s anime because it delved deep into the human condition. I liked the 2003 anime because it showed what love really is and can be, and it did not have the robot parents (I never liked that idea for Atom and Uran).[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one, Earthshine. O'Shay is a good enough parent to Astro, that he doesn't really need a legal guardian, plus robot parents. It worked well in the 2003 series as well, because it added to on going conflict Astro had with Tenma. There, he has two fathers with battling ideologies. Only one parent respects who he is and only holds him back when its necessary, and the other tries forcing his ideologies on him to the point of borderline abuse and obsession. It gives O'Shay better reason to be angry with Tenma as he grows to love Astro himself, and it gives Tenma more reason to be jealous ands frustrated with O'Shay being a better parent than he is.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"amado" wrote:I can't thank all of you enough for the wonderful response to my thread! :blush: Your replies were very informative!

I've started watching the Astro Boy series of 80's on Viki Anime with Japanese audio and English subtitles.. The series seems amazing and very interesting to watch! :wub: I've watched the first three episodes so far.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiq0tMhi3HHQoGLjkP8-iTN_R1lgGDnjz

;)

I wish to be able to download the episodes from the link above with English subtitles in order to watch them on my TV. After I had downloaded an episode, I found that the English subtitles were invisible.. :o hmy: Why?! Could anyone help me please?

The subtitles ONLY work with Youtubes web based application via your web browser. I don't think you can use youtube-dl or similar download software to capture the subtitles as well as the video, I think they are in separate streams.

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 11 years ago

I really suggest giving 2003 a chance to. It's gives a breath of fresh air while still being loyal to the Astroboy story.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"Hikari Tail" wrote:I really suggest giving 2003 a chance to. It's gives a breath of fresh air while still being loyal to the Astroboy story.

Agreed.

It also has a great storyline, made better by smart writing that help develop the stories darker themes, but also help enhance the many moments of genuine sincerity the story has to offer.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

There's no doubt that all 3 series are absolutely fantastic to be honest!
I'm on Twitter.

falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

Postby falloutflowers » 9 years ago

(Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread!) My personal favorite is the 2003 series. I love the astro/tenma relationship they add in there and the story is a little darker. But honestly, every series has a little touch to it that makes them different from all the rest. I love them all!
[FONT="Garamond"]"Humans are lost. Alone, they struggle in the darkness, and hurt themselves in fear. They don't know where they came from, or where they're going."[/FONT]

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”