What's the best Astro Boy series?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

Why were dubs even brought into this topic? The original poster didn't ask about dubs or if dubs were better than subs or vice versa.
I'm on Twitter.

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 11 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Why were dubs even brought into this topic? The original poster didn't ask about dubs or if dubs were better than subs or vice versa.

I'm with you, F-Man. To be honest, I'm getting kind of tried that almost all the Astro Boy related topics become a subs Vs dub debate.

As for getting into the series, the 1960s and the 1980s versions are officially on YouTube. You can usually tell by a few episodes which version you'd prefer. The 1960s version has the most gags out of all the series but there's a lot of action in it too. I'm aware that you're a Jetter Mars fan, some of the people who worked on Jetter Mars worked on the 1960s series. Rintaro (the director of Jetter Mars) started his directing career as an episode director for the 1960s version.

The 1980s is less episodic then the 1960s one as there's a sub plot that focuses on Astro Boy's relationship with Atlas. Astro Boy origin story is longer, as it lasted for around 3 episodes. It's less comedic then the 1960s version as there a lot of character deaths in the series. The animation is technically better but I prefer the character designs of the 1960s version.
Last edited by Crazy_Red on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Why were dubs even brought into this topic? The original poster didn't ask about dubs or if dubs were better than subs or vice versa.

I agree, but when what I loved since childhood is discredited, I feel compelled to come to it's defense. And if I remove the off-topic comments, I hear that I am "censoring."
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

well if I were you I'd try watching all the series because they show Astro in a different way in each series, I've seen the 2003 and the 80s I do wish to see the 60s.
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

:o hmy: Everything worthwhile has already been said! :cry: I am not needed here, but I will add my comments anyway:

As to which series is better, I suppose I could go into detail about strengths vs weaknesses of each, but I will say only that the one you watched as a kid will likely be your favorite, regardless of strengths or weaknesses. :lol:

amado
Kokoro Robot

Postby amado » 11 years ago

I can't thank all of you enough for the wonderful response to my thread! :blush: Your replies were very informative!

I've started watching the Astro Boy series of 80's on Viki Anime with Japanese audio and English subtitles.. The series seems amazing and very interesting to watch! :wub: I've watched the first three episodes so far.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiq0tMhi3HHQoGLjkP8-iTN_R1lgGDnjz

;)

I wish to be able to download the episodes from the link above with English subtitles in order to watch them on my TV. After I had downloaded an episode, I found that the English subtitles were invisible.. :o hmy: Why?! Could anyone help me please?

Xandreita93X
Kokoro Robot

Postby Xandreita93X » 11 years ago

i haven't watched 1960's serie so i can't opine
between 1980 and 2003 y prefer 2003.
i like it more because my favs characters Tenma and Tobio (and also Atom), make more participation in the series (Tobio and Tenma). And because i like more a "darker" story.
Could be too, because i saw 2003 before the others.
My DA ->http://xandreita93x.deviantart.com/
I <3 Atom, Tenma , Tobio *o* and Ratom xDDD
I'M NOT SO GOOD AT ENGLISH, SORRY IF I MESSED UP XD
Si alguien aquí habla español, bienvenido sea :D DDD

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Why were dubs even brought into this topic? The original poster didn't ask about dubs or if dubs were better than subs or vice versa.

The original poster asked about the availability of English subtitled versions of the 3 "Atom" anime and was informed that the availability of English subs was slim as there only existed one English sub of the "Atom" anime and that the others were dubbed in to English only, with no English subtitles provided.

I :heart: :astro: :)

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"amado" wrote:I can't thank all of you enough for the wonderful response to my thread! :blush: Your replies were very informative!

I've started watching the Astro Boy series of 80's on Viki Anime with Japanese audio and English subtitles.. The series seems amazing and very interesting to watch! :wub: I've watched the first three episodes so far.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiq0tMhi3HHQoGLjkP8-iTN_R1lgGDnjz

;)

I wish to be able to download the episodes from the link above with English subtitles in order to watch them on my TV. After I had downloaded an episode, I found that the English subtitles were invisible.. :o hmy: Why?! Could anyone help me please?

Did you try clicking your TV remote button for subtitles? (That is of course if your TV remote has such a button. Just in case it's not the link. But maybe someone else can come up with a better solution. Hope I am helpful.)
Oh and by the way, if you get around to viewing the other series you might find the differences interesting. As I said before all the series have their merits.

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 11 years ago

"amado" wrote:

My TV does this too if it's an MKV and the English subtitles are not listed as English in the file, many subtitles are just listed as 'subtitle' by subbers.

As for the actual thread question...

Well each anime has its own 'flavor' so to speak, making them all unique and enjoyable. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, and I won't declare any one of them as 'the best' because I feel that that is unfair.

I liked the original 60s anime because it had such charm and heart put into it. I liked the 80s anime because it delved deep into the human condition. I liked the 2003 anime because it showed what love really is and can be, and it did not have the robot parents (I never liked that idea for Atom and Uran).

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”