172, Herald Brothers

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;209436][QUOTE=kscharf;209432]The only episodes in the English language issue of the 1963 series with Tenma in them were the very first, and the 'mystery of the metal men'. I wonder how many there were in total including the Japanese only episodes. The 'metal men' episode was an alternate reality episode so it didn't happen in 'the real' world though.

Check this post, the latest in the index of B&W episodes[/QUOTE]
I suspected there was a Jetter Mars episode with Tenma in it because of this poster I found on an auction listing on ebay:[/QUOTE]

Dr. Tenma appeared in Jetter Mars on episode 26 as a lonely millionare that left the city for the countryside after a tragic event.

"jeffbert" wrote: :heart: Cute! :heart: Hmm; it seems odd to me that Tenma would be on the cover of the soundtrack, since he was in just 1 episode.

I don't recall seeing him in episode 1. :confused:

Back on topic, I'm surprised to see that Tenma appeared in a later episode in the 1960s series. I wonder if they explained why he had been absent for so long?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

Episode 1 of the B&W series, not the JM series. Check the link I provided, it is to an index of Tenma's appearances.

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Episode 1 of the B&W series, not the JM series. Check the link I provided, it is to an index of Tenma's appearances.

Ah sorry about that, I thought you were replaying to kscharf's comment for a second there... :blush:

I should of read your comment more closely... :d oh:

Anyways, thanks for the index of Dr. Tenma's apperances. :)
Last edited by Crazy_Red on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:p It happens from time to time, fret not, Crazy_Red.

BTW all, I added many images to the 171 Kutcher Forever Thread!
Last edited by jeffbert on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astrogirl500
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astrogirl500 » 11 years ago

i prefer Tenma than Papa Robot,because i feels he's so kind and a good father for Astro :) we can seen my fathers contests on my tumblr : http://kitara-lein.tumblr.com/day/2013/03/12/

Don't leave us,Tenma,we love you!! : Cry:: Heart:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

Here is something you might find interesting! Back when I first rediscovered Astro Boy and had taken a rudimentary course in Japanese, I had purchased a "Roman album" titled "Memories of Atom"! This book not only had color scenes from the various Atom episodes, it also had synopses for all 193 episodes. As #172 was one of the episodes on a Japanese video I purchased, I translated the synopsis for #172, which is what you see below. I translated the title as "The Herald Siblings", as I found that title more accurate. I also translated the character name of the little robot as "Bolt". (Below I have also added the synopsis from the Roman album, in case Strange Wings wants to take look.)

I :heart: :astro: :)
Attachments
EP.# 172--THE HERALD SIBLINGS.jpg
EP.# 172--THE HERALD SIBLINGS.jpg (64.94 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Oh! Thanks a lot, ASTROBUDDY! I had thought that the use of the word 'brothers' meant that there were two humans involved, but this clears up that misconception. Bolt or Volt & his big sister are the siblings.

I had assumed Volt was meant because it seemed more like a name for a robot, & given that 'B' is substituted for 'V' & such. Livian becomes Libian, etc. :lol:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

The problems of translating! We both have seen how one translator says, "Guernica", while another says "Gelnika" for the same katakana. In this case "Volt" and "Bolt", both have something to do with lightning and electricity.
As for "Livian" and "Libian", Libian is too close to Libyan, that the idea of the character may be mistaken, which might be a reason to go with "Livian".

Any way what I found interesting when I did the translation is the fact the Omega factor seems to be a device Tezuka used on more than one occasion.

I :heart: :astro: :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:blush: I forgot about your mentioning the Omega Factor! :blush: I need to add the reference to my notes for 172. As for Guernica Vs. Gelnika, that is a topic for another thread, & I was hoping to defer any discussion of it until my book is published.

:ninja:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”