New Astro Boy series could be on the way!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

I think that the problem with the '09 film was that they started at the beginning, & had to include Tobio's death. If the '03 series had put that in the 1st episode, it might not have run in the USA for even a few episodes. :astro: Well, it also hurt that they tried to make it fit the SATURDAY MORNING 'ghetto' that Fred Patton wrote about.

Anyway, any new US series will surely suffer the same fate as the '03 one did. It may have been ASTROBOY, but it just was not MIGHT ATOM. Recall that when JE Leo was made with US $$, it was also a far cry from what Tezuka had envisioned. KTWL still cut some, & drastically changed the dialogue to remove any references to death or mortality. So they moved any refences to Tobio's demise to the end of the series, & the US dialogue made Atom into a smartass, etc., & it still failed in the SATURDAY MORNING line up.

Any US made ASTROBOY series will be more like that unlicensed comic book than like Tezuka's concept. :hyo:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

There is one hope. There are now more cable networks that have their own 'standards'.
SciFi for one. So long as the big three (or four) are not involved it might work.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I think that the problem with the '09 film was that they started at the beginning, & had to include Tobio's death. If the '03 series had put that in the 1st episode, it might not have run in the USA for even a few episodes. :astro: Well, it also hurt that they tried to make it fit the SATURDAY MORNING 'ghetto' that Fred Patton wrote about.

Anyway, any new US series will surely suffer the same fate as the '03 one did. It may have been ASTROBOY, but it just was not MIGHT ATOM. Recall that when JE Leo was made with US $$, it was also a far cry from what Tezuka had envisioned. KTWL still cut some, & drastically changed the dialogue to remove any references to death or mortality. So they moved any refences to Tobio's demise to the end of the series, & the US dialogue made Atom into a smartass, etc., & it still failed in the SATURDAY MORNING line up.

Any US made ASTROBOY series will be more like that unlicensed comic book than like Tezuka's concept. :hyo:

I see your point, and I agree that is a real possibility. But to be honest, I prefer to be cautiously optimistic about news like this.

I may be a bit naive in saying this, but I believe that quality kids shows that speak to older audiences can be done, provided you have the right team on board. I mean yes, the standards for cartoon shows now has changed since the 90s, but that doesn't mean you can't get around censorship laws. You just need the right team (or scriptwriter) is all.

Look at Batman TAS or Animaniacs, both of those shows have jokes and content that some may find questionable in a kids show. But the writers approached them in such a way that they were able to get it on the air without breaching the censorship rules.

Now I do agree that there is cause for concern, especially with the project only being in the works at this point. But you never know, the stars just might align for us this time.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I'd be very curious to see the different version of Atom, his birth and his adventures and his country of origin (if each nation decides to have him as a local hero instead of hailing from Japan). Like the Sesame Street thing, I anticipate him being depicted to match the culture of each nation of broadcast as well, instilled with the morals and ethnic concerns of each culture.

I wonder how this will play out with so many versions of Atom... will they have new adventures for him or will they have to just do their own interpretations of Tezuka's classic stories? I also wonder which countries will be in the run to do this... I know America and Germany both played Astro Boy in addition to Japan but I'm not sure about any other nations...

A Brazilian Atom has me very curious (the Brazilians LOVE their action and fighting so I wonder how he might be, will he be a martial arts master?)

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Update information on the Oversea Astro Boy

Postby Crazy_Red » 10 years ago

Here is more information on the Overseas Astro Boy production:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25E3%2582%25B8%25E3%2582%25A7%25E3%2583%2583%25E3%2582%25BF%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2583%259E%25E3%2583%25AB%25E3%2582%25B9%2B2013%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D667&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=ja&u=http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0053849&usg=ALkJrhhENkpVg2XOCzWYdX_Th0eqjUl1vA

The site is in Japanese so I’ll try my best to summarize the gist of it.

• Production itself is planned to start in 2014
  • Production will collaborate with many countries outside of Japan
  • We know that some of the production will take place in Middle Eastern countries as well as Asian countries outside of Japan (it mentioned that the reasoning has to do with the country’s “economic growth” ;) .

• They intend to start production in the next fiscal year if all goes well.

That’s what I understood from the article, but if someone understands more of it or if I gave information that is misleading, feel free to share it/correct me. :)

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

Awesome. We're getting closer. :)
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

[QUOTE=Crazy_Red;213524]Here is more information on the Overseas Astro Boy production:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25E3%2582%25B8%25E3%2582%25A7%25E3%2583%2583%25E3%2582%25BF%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2583%259E%25E3%2583%25AB%25E3%2582%25B9%2B2013%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D667&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=ja&u=http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0053849&usg=ALkJrhhENkpVg2XOCzWYdX_Th0eqjUl1vA

The site is in Japanese so I’ll try my best to summarize the gist of it.

• Production itself is planned to start in 2014
  • Production will collaborate with many countries outside of Japan
  • We know that some of the production will take place in Middle Eastern countries as well as Asian countries outside of Japan (it mentioned that the reasoning has to do with the country’s “economic growth”).

• They intend to start production in the next fiscal year if all goes well.

That’s what I understood from the article, but if someone understands more of it or if I gave information that is misleading, feel free to share it/correct me. :) [/QUOTE

Yes! Hopefully, that means we'll get news from the Anerican animation industry on this.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”