When / How did you become an Astro fan?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Yushee
Kokoro Robot
Location: USA. I'd much rather be in Metro City though, if it existed ;7;

Postby Yushee » 9 years ago

Wuuagh I'm so glad I'm not the only new member here ;7;

On topic of 'how you became an Astro Boy fan,' I already explained how I did, but I do wish I could relive the moment I discovered it. It was out of plain curiosity, too. Once I saw the 'car crash' scene with Tobio, it immediately sucked me into watching more ;w;
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Resisting the adorableness is not an option. :astro: :astro: :astro:

Reid958
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Reid958 » 9 years ago

I think I became an fan of Astro boy, it started when watched the 2009 Astro boy movie for the first time, and got hooked on it, well not straight way. I forgotten about afew months ago, I didn't know anything about Astro on that time. So one time I invited my friend to my place, and decide to go the DVD shop to barrow one to watch. Until I stopped and saw the DVD of Astro boy, I end up taking it and watch again. But not with my friend she didn't want to watch it. So she an also got a different DVD. But anyway, I later few days I decided to google and found lots of information, until weeks, weeks later I found all the tv shows on YouTube and other sites. I got totally hooked and became my favorite character of all time :-)

So yeah ^.^ not much a story huh.

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 9 years ago

I think my story is the same as Reid's, but a bit different. So not much to say here. I saw the movie when it came out, and watched some of the 2003 anime on netflix, then forgot about it until August this year. I watched it again, then truly got into it. So yeah, not that different. ^-^'
:hyo: whoops

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 9 years ago

I wacthed the movie first, but never got into it until i saw the series of 2003 on netflix. I didnt understand when i first watched it how awesome it was. Maybe because all anime was RIPPED and TORN TO PIECES fom the moive, but that is just a thought.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

I first saw the 1980 series on STV - now owned by Global - in its Canada-exclusive English dub in my earliest consciousness. I think it ran up until 1997, when I would've only been four. My parents worked at the TV station at the time and knew the theme song in great detail. (Unfortunately, when AB stopped running there, they were contractually obligated to magnetize and reuse the tapes with the Canadian-dubbed episodes, urghhhhhh.)

It kind of stayed in the back of my mind, until mid-2005, when I wanted to write my own story about a robot child. I wound up pulling the entirety of Astro Boy's origin out by memory, and I paused the story project for about a year. The 2003 series was running on YTV at the time, but I only ever saw the promos for it:

O'Shay: [Roughly what he said] He's the perfect blend of humanity and science!
Announcer: [As Astro flies on screen] TOO BAD NOBODY GAVE HIM A SHIRT...

I never watched it, because back then, there was still a really bad stigma about girls engaging in male-oriented media, and I thought the show was just for guys.

Some months later, I did discover the Astro Boy manga at my city's library, and I figured, "Oh hey, I should read this to make sure my thing doesn't rip this off." Shockingly, I liked it, read every volume the library had, and wound up buying the 1980 series on DVD that September. I got into Tezuka this way, too.

I grew out of Astro Boy stuff around 2010. Then, early this year, I start trying to restart that old robot child story, and begin drawing the villain again. I think, "Oh hey, I should revisit Astro Boy to make sure my character's design doesn't rip Tenma off." Now I'm here.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 9 years ago

I had heard of Astro Boy for years. First hearing the name in a Calvin and Hobbes comic and thinking the name was made up until my dad explained it was a show he watched as a kid but I never thought much of it.
Then came 2002-2003 I think and they released the manga. I decided to read it being a big anime/manga fan and thinking I should read where it started. BAM! I got hooked and Astro as a character officially owned my soul XD

astro-boy-2003
Kokoro Robot

Postby astro-boy-2003 » 9 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:It's a pleasure to have you here Astro Boy 2003! I look forward to your posts! I see that you're in Germany! I'm curious as to if you saw the 1980's German language version of Astro Boy?
Thank you! I haven't seen the german version of Astro Boy (only the movie) But I saw every series and I read every manga of astro boy.
"Reid958" wrote:I think I became an fan of Astro boy, it started when watched the 2009 Astro boy movie for the first time, and got hooked on it, well not straight way. I forgotten about afew months ago, I didn't know anything about Astro on that time. So one time I invited my friend to my place, and decide to go the DVD shop to barrow one to watch. Until I stopped and saw the DVD of Astro boy, I end up taking it and watch again. But not with my friend she didn't want to watch it. So she an also got a different DVD. But anyway, I later few days I decided to google and found lots of information, until weeks, weeks later I found all the tv shows on YouTube and other sites. I got totally hooked and became my favorite character of all time :-) So yeah ^.^ not much a story huh.
8 months ago, I saw the german version of the Astro Boy movie on TV and I just loved it! After watching I wanted to watch it again. I googled, and found out about the 1963's series. Then I saw the 1980's series on youtube and decided to watch it. I first thought there would be a german version, till i read in wikipedia that there is no german version, only a few episodes of the 1980's. But no matter wich language it was I just loved Astro Boy! 2 weeks later after watching the 1980's series, I found out about the 2003 series. And I was blown away only by the intro! I searched everywhere and watched the series over and over on youtube. I bought the movie on DVD and soon the full 2003 series too. Then I started drawing Astro. I drew almost 200 pictures and I won't stop drawing Astro Boy! Now I'm at getting all soundtracks, figures and other Astro Boy stuff. :heart: :astro:
Last edited by Earthshine on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we do not allow double posting when avoidable

BigFox8
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby BigFox8 » 9 years ago

Here's how I became an Astro Boy fan. When it was shown on CBBC in 2004, I was introduced to Astro Boy. I can't remember that. But as time went by, I can't remember watching it in 2005 when I was 3. When it was 2009, I found the kids ABC website and it had Astro Boy on there. Then, I knew who Astro Boy was. In 2010, I don't know whenever I remember it, I saw it advertised on buses, billboards, on TV and on the radio. I saw it advertised everywhere around Bristol. And now in 2014, I saw an Astro Boy AMV with a Basshunter song in called Hello There. Afterwards, the movie was the first one I can remember watching in 2014. Then, I watched and looked at all the other Astro Boy stuff and watched the 1st episode of the 80's anime. Then, I looked at this website, downloaded the MIDI files, played the theme song on there app Perfect Piano & there, I AM NOW AN OFFICIAL ASTRO BOY FAN!!!!
:astro: On YouTube, I am CodeLyokoFan2002. Astro Boy is the cutest robot in town! :astro:

SonicRainboomsXD
Kokoro Robot

Postby SonicRainboomsXD » 9 years ago

That's quite a story! Mine's a little shorter, yet interesting all the same. It was back in 2009 when I first found out about Astro Boy, for I had seen the trailer for the new movie that was coming to the cinema soon. I remember seeing that trailer a bunch of times on television and I seemed interested in it each time I'd re-watched it. Beside almost seeing that trailer everyday, I never went to see the film, and Astro Boy kept to the back of my mind until 2011. Around that time, the movie was airing on TV and me and my family decided to all watch it for the first time together.
Of course, I'd enjoyed the film, and shortly after it was finished, I found out that my older brother had watched one of the series when he was younger, so I decided to do some re-search.

I found out about all three animes that had been released, watching a few of the 80's episodes and the entirety of the 2003 (the series which my brother had seen), which made me fall in love with the growing Astro Boy franchise. After that, I was obsessed with Astro Boy, always listening to the music and drawing pictures in my sketch book; oh, and of course staring at photos of the merchandise and just hoping I'd be able to find some of the books or something.
Literally, for a long while, I was a huge fan (I guess I watched the movie DVD rather a lot too), but... after a while, I'd slightly slipped away from Astro Boy. I'd never stopped liking the show, and I still thought about it, but rather, I was keen on different things instead (such as My Little Pony, which is my favourite show/franchise), and yet again, The Mighty Atom was pushed aside for a while.

Back in 2013 though, I began to get back into the fandom, re-finding my love for Astro and his adventures, and since then, I've been re-watching the anime's & movies, drawing, writing fanfiction, and of course now, I've joined this site!

So, that's my story! Kind of on-off but, it seems that's just the way it rolls! :astro:
:hyo: "When are we ever going to stop fighting each other?!" :astro:

:heart: ~~~~~ :heart:
My Deviantart ~ My YouTube ~ My FanFiction ~

AstroBoyGF
On a Flight into Space

Postby AstroBoyGF » 9 years ago

it was thru my mother accutally. it was on the after toon show on WB and it was really cool and she remember all the characters and that launch me into it and drawing then everything else kinda fell into place. :3
And the nursery and Paradise Estate didn't really collapse. The moon's made of green cheese, and I'm the queen of England!"
-MLP lickety split

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”