Names confusing me.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

Well I was just wonder where this name even came from. Was it actually said in the show (in Japanese of course)? I have always refereed to him as Umatarou.
As for Denkou, I have seen it spelled both ways, many times. But then again, people make mistakes.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 10 years ago

The spelling of "Denkou" is to approximate the pronunciation in Japanese, as the "ou" would mean that the vowel is given the long "oh" sound when pronouncing the name. Ergo pronounce the name as if a line were over the "o".

The names are different depending on the language translation. Did you guys know that one of the original translated spellings of Astro Boy's sister's name was "Oran". This is because that spelling approximated the pronunciation of "Uran" as with the short "u" sound as in "moon". As spelled the name should be pronounced "You ran", instead of "You rain" as it is pronounced in the English dub.

One last item! I believe Umataro is the name given in the manga.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"Dante69" wrote:Well I was just wonder where this name even came from. Was it actually said in the show (in Japanese of course)? I have always refereed to him as Umatarou.
As for Denkou, I have seen it spelled both ways, many times. But then again, people make mistakes.

I don't think that the name Nagamiya is eve spoken in the 2003 series itself ( I haven't seen the entire series in Japanese, so if it is said I wouldn't know), but I believe you can find it by looking through extra canonical material.

Also, does anyone else find it an odd irony that we know Tenma's first name, but not O'Shay's? And yet, we know O'Shay's age, but not Tenma's?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

Well, I've read here in at least one thread that Ochanomizu was born in 1951 and Tenma was born in 1966 (from the orignal manga)

But you're right about Dr. O's first name. Fred Ladd's comical "Packadermus J. Elefun" at least includes a "J." so we can at least assume in his American incarnation he has a first AND middle name! Hmmmm . . . good grief, if his name actually was "Packadermus" - couldn't you just see his nickname being "Pac Man!?" :d oh: :rolleyes: :lol:

Now I envision a Pac Man with a big ol' nose :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

That "J" may have been Ladd throwing homage at J.Ward who gave most of his characters the same middle initial. I.E. Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle J. Moose.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

Lol, the name Packadermus makes me laugh! Anyway, I wish there was more information about Ochanomizu in 2003 (or at all).
Which reminds me, Atoms last name? I think using the name Tenma would be a kick in the face. I don't think he would use Ochanomizu. But think about the problems with only having a first name. I am just thinking because robots have the same rights as humans at the end of the series. Do you think he would use some sort of unit code if he needed a new legal document?
I am just wondering what you people think.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

I can't think of any robots in the series that have last names off the top of my head, so it's likely that they'd have some other way of identifying robots without them, like through serial numbers or something.

Though as a personal preference, I do refer to Astro's family collectively as the Tetsuwan family, but I don't use it for individual family members because it just sounds weird to me. :I

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

I remember asking that same question when I first joined. Jeffbert refers to them as the "Tetsuwan Family" -

I rather like Astro Tenma, but then is his sister Uran O'Shay? :p

Darn you, Dr. Tezuka for not being here to answer these things for us!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 10 years ago

This is so "interesting"! I also like "TetsuWan family"!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Well, I've read here in at least one thread that Ochanomizu was born in 1951 and Tenma was born in 1966 (from the orignal manga)

But you're right about Dr. O's first name. Fred Ladd's comical "Packadermus J. Elefun" at least includes a "J." so we can at least assume in his American incarnation he has a first AND middle name! Hmmmm . . . good grief, if his name actually was "Packadermus" - couldn't you just see his nickname being "Pac Man!?" :d oh: :rolleyes: :lol:

Now I envision a Pac Man with a big ol' nose :p

Really? So then that means by 2003 (when Astro is born in the manga) that Tenma is at least in his late thirties. Neato! In a way, it kind of aligns with my Tenma one-shot I wrote awhile back.

Dante
Yeah, I agree. O'Shay is a character that I wish would get more development, but at the same time I just like him the way he is. It's pretty much how I feel about him in the 2003 series; yeah, he didn't undergo any development. But he didn't need to.

Astro Buddy

You know, now that I hear that, I rather like the ring of the Tetsuwan family myself.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”