Names confusing me.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

I like those redrawn pages. Don't care to much for the cat though.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

Atom cat was the last time that Tezuka drew Astro in any manga. He did only seven stories for that series. In selling it to his publisher, he sold the name as a play on words. You see Atom Cat is also A-Tom-Cat, or a tomcat.
I rather like the way he drew the cat, its ears being Atom's hair spikes, and the coloring of its fur matched the rest of Atom's hair line, with the boots and hind portions being dark. All he needed was a green belt to look just like Astro!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Very true, the cat does look like Atom. :) Quite an interesting story to, with a second look at the original Astro Boy.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

I got Atomcat as a bonus for my Kickstarter support of publishing Tezuka's Barbara - I wasn't sure I'd care for it, but it's actually really cute. Little Atom the Cat grows on you - trust me!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

dragonpawclaws
Kokoro Robot

Postby dragonpawclaws » 10 years ago

Chapter 4. Atom the orphan. I cried so hard it was just embarrassing. I'll never look at a maneki neko the same way again.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

Ahhhhh I remember that. The first time I read those stories was from a fan translation of it, actually... Kind of surprising for anything related to Astro Boy. It's unfortunate, really, how little love the series gets nowadays, when really, it should get so much more affection that it deserves for so many reasons, all of my issues aside... ahem. You know, I didn't know at the time that that was all there was, just those seven or so stories. It's a shame; I could easily see a lot more, even without a serious or cohesive plot behind it. Seems like it'd appeal very well to younger children.

That's not the first time his appearance was canonically likened to a cat, though. There was one story in the Dark Horse volumes somewhere, where Atom and his entire family was brainwashed by a robot that believed herself to be a "cat goddess". Parts of that story were actually really cute, especially when the stray kittens the robot had freed attacked Ochanomizu when he tried to convince them that she wasn't really their mama. :lol:

I hadn't recalled that scene precisely- it's been a few years since I actually read Atom Cat- but look at that precious bby. It's impossible to dislike him. :heart: Of course, I happen to have a hard time disliking pictures of most real kittens, so. :3

Hmm, I remembered it being a scale... perhaps it was in one of the animes (the black and white, most likely). Or maybe I saw that image earlier and thought of it before. I remember that it was posted in the topic where we were discussing Atom's height and weight...

Btw, dragonpawsclaws; on an off-topic note, are you ever going to finish that story?
lolwut

dragonpawclaws
Kokoro Robot

Postby dragonpawclaws » 10 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote: Btw, dragonpawsclaws; on an off-topic note, are you ever going to finish that story?

Working on it. Actually, now that I'm finally, (FINALLY! *screams real loud Kermit the frog style*) getting a little free time on my hands, my mind has exploded into six different directions at once. I'm working on that, two really long one-shots, started a sequel, two totally Astro Boy unrelated stories and I STILL have yet to leave Aprilseven a big fat review for Full Circle! (sorry April!!!) I used to get mad when other writers dropped everything to do something new without finishing what they started, but now I know why they do! If it doesn't come out while you're fresh and excited, it may never get written!
Last edited by dragonpawclaws on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

True enough, I suppose. Which is why I have left a lot of stuff just sitting there, collecting dust ("Jetto's Mansion", anyone?). Although sometimes the problem is the lack of any idea of how to finish it. That, and I never seem to have a concrete idea of an overarching plot to begin with, whenever I write my stories. I just have a few ideas pop into my head all of a sudden, and then I write down whatever bullcrap comes to me in those moments. I have a short attention span and a perfectionist problem, too- and it shows. :(
lolwut

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

What story are you talking about?

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

"dragonpawclaws" wrote:[
Working on it. Actually, now that I'm finally, (FINALLY! *screams real loud Kermit the frog style*) getting a little free time on my hands, my mind has exploded into six different directions at once. I'm working on that, two really long one-shots, started a sequel, two totally Astro Boy unrelated stories and I STILL have yet to leave Aprilseven a big fat review for Full Circle! (sorry April!!!) I used to get mad when other writers dropped everything to do something new without finishing what they started, but now I know why they do! If it doesn't come out while you're fresh and excited, it may never get written!

That has happened to me several times. Once while writing a story I came up with a side idea that I had to write as a one shot right away (though it seemed to not have been too popular, no reviews and not too much traffic for "Atom and Cora", I know LBF didn't like it, and I also know that kind of story is outside of my comfort zone anyway).

I was finishing up "119" when the idea of Tobio is a ghost came up on this forum and somehow the movie popped into my head and suddenly I had an entire story plot gel up. I had to at least write an outline!

The UFO story also entered my head while writing something else. Same with the Toro Nagashi story. Even the Chipmunks crossover was a 'face palm, light bulb over the head' type inspiration demanding immediate attention!

I wish I had those kind of ideas more often. I'm still waiting for the next one. They usually come 'out of left field' anyway.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”