Names confusing me.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 10 years ago

Actually, there was an episode of the anime that featured the full names of many of Atom's classmates (if only for a few seconds). It was that one where they went to an amusement park and the boy Taku was upset about his robot Al being kidnapped and dismantled. There's Ohme Tamao, Shikishima Kenichi (which we probably already knew, since he has the same name in all of the different series he's in), and Shibugaki Ben. I didn't know that Shibugaki was the kid's last name, so I thought that was cool. Oh, and that one girl in their class, with blue hair and a ponytail, is named Kanaka Sae.

Anyway, Tamao is pronounced "tama-oh". Atom calls him "Tama-chan" much more than "Tamao", so you're not going to hear it much.

Denkou can be written either way, but the "more" correct way is with the -u at the end.

As for Tenma, I guess they just... felt like changing his name. It was probably referenced in canon and developmental material, but who knows. It was never stated in the anime, though.
Last edited by SuwaHana on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

That was #9, フランケン (Franken); I did not know that Shibugaki had any but that one name, either.

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

Whoa, thank you. That is probably only useful to me. No one in my house likes Astro Boy. They are OK with it, but that information is completely irrelevant to them. The more I know, the better I feel. My mother makes fun of me for listening to Japanese stuff. She will not understand. That's why I have you people!
How would you pronounce Ohme?
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 10 years ago

I was lucky in that my mother was the one who introduced me to anime. If it weren't for her technological ineptitude, she'd be watching anime and listening to Vocaloid day in and day out.

Ohme is pronounced "Oh-meh"

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 10 years ago

jeffbert wrote:I believe I have heard 'Tamao' pronounced as 'Tamo.'

Tamao's full name in Japanese is 大目玉男 (oome tamao). Like SuwaHana correctly stated, '大目' is pronounced as 'oh-meh', meaning 'large eyes'. '玉男' is pronounced as 'tama-oh', literally translated as 'jewel man'. However, the kanji '玉' also means 'lens', which makes sense insofar as Tamao is wearing a pair of glasses.

Astro prefers to call Tamao by the abbrevation 'Tama-chan', expressing the close bond with his friend.
Both for Ken and Tamao's first names, Astro applies the suffix 'chan', which emphasizes the familiar realtionship he has with his friends. I never heard or read him saying 'Shibugaki-chan' though, only 'Shibugaki'. I reckon it's because 'chan' doesn't seem to fit Shibugaki's boasting guy image.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

:lol: I had not kept track of the suffixes used, though I assumed that '-kun' was used between males. While watching Melmo, I expected '-chan' but '-kun' is used, even by her sensei, :tezuka: .

This is why I keep my captions on, in my DVR, I just have trouble making things out, more often than I like. 'Tama' or 'Tamo' I should be able to tell which. :blush:
Last edited by jeffbert on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”