ANTI-AMERICAN SENTIMENT ON THE WIKIPEDIA ASTRO BOY PAGES!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 10 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:
..................... So, is this why this kid was banned?

For being a ra-tard

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

And for being condescending in his opinions (and to those who oppose him), don't forget condescending.
Last edited by Prettywitchiusaka on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

Well, if it's any consolation, I checked and the Astro Boy Wiki on wikia is okay for the most part. He'd made a few edits a long, long time ago but everything's still surprisingly normal over there. Even the Uran page is rant-free. These fan-wikis tend to pull a lot of things off of Wikipedia, so if anybody needs that to help fix the Wikipedia pages, that might help. vwv

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 10 years ago

Thank you to whoever corrected the entries on the Astro Boy Wikipedia pages. Would you also be so kind as to correct the info box for 1980s Astroboy as the item should read US broadcast instead of NA as the broadcast history pertains to the US only as the Canadian broadcast history is different. I tried and had the same problem as before with 1963 Astro Boy. Thank you.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Sigh. I know who did this, I'll have a talk with them. They are not a bad person, just very very passionate about this fandom to the extreme and to obsession. I have a very strong suspicion that this person is autistic (I've had experience with autistic peoples, being misdiagnosed as such when I was a child and through my own social work).

I am not excusing this person's actions because of my suspicions though. I do want to give a little bit of warning though; this person is dogged, they are stubborn and will more than likely edit the pages again to something of their liking because they truly feel that people are misguided and are being 'tricked' by the English dub. They also feel that they have a job to do and that is to educate people that they feel are 'tricked' by said dub.

Their opinions and views are very extreme which is sad because their raw knowledge of the series is phenomenal, if they actually kept their extremist opinions out of their presentations of the series we would have some great source material.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Sigh. I know who did this, I'll have a talk with them. They are not a bad person, just very very passionate about this fandom to the extreme and to obsession. I have a very strong suspicion that this person is autistic (I've had experience with autistic peoples, being misdiagnosed as such when I was a child and through my own social work).

I am not excusing this person's actions because of my suspicions though. I do want to give a little bit of warning though; this person is dogged, they are stubborn and will more than likely edit the pages again to something of their liking because they truly feel that people are misguided and are being 'tricked' by the English dub. They also feel that they have a job to do and that is to educate people that they feel are 'tricked' by said dub.

Their opinions and views are very extreme which is sad because their raw knowledge of the series is phenomenal, if they actually kept their extremist opinions out of their presentations of the series we would have some great source material.

Wait, you do?

Well in that case, good luck.

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Sigh. I know who did this, I'll have a talk with them. They are not a bad person, just very very passionate about this fandom to the extreme and to obsession. I have a very strong suspicion that this person is autistic (I've had experience with autistic peoples, being misdiagnosed as such when I was a child and through my own social work).

I can understand that, and it honestly does make me more patient with the whole situation because I've been there. I once started yelling at a commentary track because the guys in it were arguing whether or not you could take a roller coaster track and put a spinning tea-cup ride car on it without people flying off and getting killed all the time, with one of them adamant that such a ride couldn't exist and the other waffling between "well, I think it's possible" and "you're probably right." I was the one screaming, "YOU FOOLS, YOU TOTALLY CAN! THIS IS 2011! THERE'S BEEN ONE AT DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM SINCE 2002! HOW CAN THE ENTIRE WORLD NOT KNOW THIS!" Just thinking of all the people who listened to that and decided that the commentary was right, never knowing about the Primeval Whirl, was the most horrible thing I could imagine at the time.

So yes, patient and understanding, but not tolerant of Wiki vandalism. The hard part about a wiki is that anyone can edit it, but at least that means anyone can fix it, too.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:
Wait, you do?

Well in that case, good luck.

I know them mostly from DA, we've had a few scuffles and note passing. They are reasonable and they do listen, it's just that they don't realize how they come off to other people when they get on a explanation spree. They don't understand that when they are explaining something it always comes off as a rant because I truly think it is impossible for them to take their opinions out of presenting simple data.

I can understand that, and it honestly does make me more patient with the whole situation because I've been there. I once started yelling at a commentary track because the guys in it were arguing whether or not you could take a roller coaster track and put a spinning tea-cup ride car on it without people flying off and getting killed all the time, with one of them adamant that such a ride couldn't exist and the other waffling between "well, I think it's possible" and "you're probably right." I was the one screaming, "YOU FOOLS, YOU TOTALLY CAN! THIS IS 2011! THERE'S BEEN ONE AT DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM SINCE 2002! HOW CAN THE ENTIRE WORLD NOT KNOW THIS!" Just thinking of all the people who listened to that and decided that the commentary was right, never knowing about the Primeval Whirl, was the most horrible thing I could imagine at the time.

So yes, patient and understanding, but not tolerant of Wiki vandalism. The hard part about a wiki is that anyone can edit it, but at least that means anyone can fix it, too.

I can relate to this as well because although I was misdiagnosed as autistic when I was younger (I didn't TALK until I was 5, and was very withdrawn) and was placed in special education classes until I was about 10 when one special teacher realized that I was functioning well and normal enough to be placed in a normal classroom setting. After years of struggling I was finally labeled as high functioning aspergers (a form of autism but no where near as severe, but carries just as broad of a spectrum).

Needless to say knowing that someone is struggling with autism makes me more sympathetic and more patient but when they have proven to be of sound judgement and able to censor their actions I get a little more tough with them. It's a balance in real life, you have to have empathy and understand their limits but you also have to be challenging (in a nice way) to get your point across.

Anyway, enough about that.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 10 years ago

Holy cow, I just read wiki's Astro page and 1963 series page, and no mention is made of the the 1980s U.S. dub or the subsequent Canadian dub in the first, and only passing reference to the U.S. dub in the second. I don't mind for myself, but a whole lot of other very fine voice-over actors, our producers and directors deserve better -- especially our Canadian friends and peer cast-mates, who are now completely ignored. It's not just "anti-American," it's anti-North America or Western Hemisphere.

Sigh . . . those who need to know already know, I hope.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

I think we'll have to let it sit for a little while and then go in and change it back. Hopefully one of us can reach someone at Wikipedia to fix the damage that's been done, and then block it from more mutilation, but it might be something we'll have to do repeatedly until this person loses interest in degrading the 80's American anime.

I'm so sorry you had to see that, Jayrath. I think I am safe in saying that a majority of us really loved the 80's anime and appreciate the contribution you and the other voice actors made to our lives and anime history!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”