Favorite Minor Characters

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Ureshii bot
Kokoro Robot

Postby Ureshii bot » 10 years ago

I think Shunsaku Ban is my favorite. I love his personality, he's silly. I was reading through the astro boy manga and there was this scene where he was watching Ochanomizu fix astro. His facial expressions were hilarious (it was like he was seeing an actual human surgery) so instant love for the character cx this is just one scene that came to mind, he has made made lol (oh gosh) many times which is pretty hard to get me to do when reading comics. I also have to mention rock. I don't know why, but I like him c:

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

Well he was called Mr. Pompus in the english dub of the 1960s series. "Pompus meaning showing or feeling great importance." So I guess that's why he appears soo much in other of Tezuka's works. Must've thought he was a pretty important character of Tezuka's..."Star System"? Is that what it's called? (Sorry if I got that wrong. :blush: )
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

He's been called by quite a few names. Most have been a variation of Mustachio, referring to his distinctive mustache. The name has also been translated as Mr. Beard (guess some Japanese had trouble separating Beard and Mustache in English!), Daddy Walrus (His face might resemble a walrus) and a few others. I think he was also referred to as Mr. Pompus during his appearance in Kimba. (BTW even Astro had a Cameo role in Kimba! Look at my signature, it's a screen shot from Kimba).
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I was most fond of him in his incarnation during Metropolis, both the animated movie and manga.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"Ureshii bot" wrote:I think Shunsaku Ban is my favorite. I love his personality, he's silly. I was reading through the astro boy manga and there was this scene where he was watching Ochanomizu fix astro. His facial expressions were hilarious (it was like he was seeing an actual human surgery) so instant love for the character cx this is just one scene that came to mind, he has made made lol (oh gosh) many times which is pretty hard to get me to do when reading comics. I also have to mention rock. I don't know why, but I like him c:

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about Skunk being a minor character! Definitely add him to the list.

I guess Kato/The Rainbow Parakeet in the 2003 series would qualify as well then.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

"Sporkia" wrote:Shunsaku Ban is absolutely wonderful yes. Definitely one of my favorite Tezuka characters from across the board. vwv
I also like Tamao, Denkou, and True the lying robot from the 80s series. Funny enough, Tamao was actually my favorite character before I discovered Cobalt. :D And I just really liked Denkou and True's stories a lot ok. Not to mention that '03 Denkou is an absolute cutie patootie. >w<

I'm pretty sure his name was "Thor", not "True"... I suppose it could be a botched translation, as is frequent in the subs from Viki; but it even sounds like Thor to me. He is cute, though. :3

The subs I have of the '03 version say that Denkou is a boy, but in the English version, Denkou was a girl... (even in the English translation for the manga, Denkou was a girl...) Perhaps the problem here was simply perception? It's very likely that in the actual original dub, Denkou wasn't gendered at all, and whoever put subtitles on it (and whoever did the official English translation) just decided to stick whatever gender they thought fit best on it? Although it would make sense if it was a boy, because all of the Denkou characters that came before were all male... but then, it wouldn't be the first time that they decided to flip the genders of a character around (although chronologically speaking it would, as Denkou appears in the anime before Epsilon does! :P ).
lolwut

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

Mine would be Bimo too. X3
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

And I don't think Shunsaku Ban would count as a "minor character" strictly speaking, cuz he appears in a bunch of episodes X3
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Astrogirl500
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astrogirl500 » 10 years ago

Me it's Skunk Kusai (mostly the best from 2003's)

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:
"Sporkia" wrote:Shunsaku Ban is absolutely wonderful yes. Definitely one of my favorite Tezuka characters from across the board. vwv
I also like Tamao, Denkou, and True the lying robot from the 80s series. Funny enough, Tamao was actually my favorite character before I discovered Cobalt. :D And I just really liked Denkou and True's stories a lot ok. Not to mention that '03 Denkou is an absolute cutie patootie. >w<

I'm pretty sure his name was "Thor", not "True"... I suppose it could be a botched translation, as is frequent in the subs from Viki; but it even sounds like Thor to me. He is cute, though. :3

The subs I have of the '03 version say that Denkou is a boy, but in the English version, Denkou was a girl... (even in the English translation for the manga, Denkou was a girl...) Perhaps the problem here was simply perception? It's very likely that in the actual original dub, Denkou wasn't gendered at all, and whoever put subtitles on it (and whoever did the official English translation) just decided to stick whatever gender they thought fit best on it? Although it would make sense if it was a boy, because all of the Denkou characters that came before were all male... but then, it wouldn't be the first time that they decided to flip the genders of a character around (although chronologically speaking it would, as Denkou appears in the anime before Epsilon does! :P ).

Pretty sure he was True in the dub. I haven't seen it in Japanese so I couldn't say for sure if it's different or not. :I But if he's Thor in Japanese I'm just picturing him as part of the Avengers now, haha. :D

Yeah, I know all about Denkou's weird gender issues. That's why I tried to avoid bringing up any pronouns to avoid any sort of argument. It's kind of becoming my headcanon now that Denkou actually has no gender, though. At least until we can get some kind of official confirmation, anyway. Makes things a lot easier. vwv
I know in Omega Factor, they call Epsilon a "he" too, but the sprite is very obviously a woman. And I'm pretty sure they weren't getting into cross-dressing robots, here. :T
It's a magical day!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”