Astro'63 timeline?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Saruta
Metro City Citizen

Astro'63 timeline?

Postby Saruta » 10 years ago

Hello,

Does any timeline of fictional events in Astro'63 exist? OK, Astro completed in 2003 - but when was he sold to the circus, etc. etc., when did he go to the Sun? I noticed a date of 2017 for the latter somewhere but not sure where.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure that Tezuka was pretty fluid when it came to his timeline; meaning that he simply did not give it much thought or concern. The truth of the matter is is that fans like us are most of the time more passionate about a series than those that are actually involved in making the stories and think of things like this to explore. When a series is episodic and not cumulative it makes the need for writers to stay consistent with a 'timeline' almost 100% unnecessary. If it serves no point for the actual writing of the show, then it doesn't need to be expanded on officially.

Of course some vague times might be stated when the need pops up or when the writers think to do so, but nothing concrete. They will keep one or two dates sacred (such as Atom's 'birthday' being in 2003) but everything else might be left open for interpretation.

In the manga in the story "The Man Who Returned from Mars" the opening pages tells of Atom gazing out of a window as the snow falls contemplating his life - that a whole 18 years have passed since his creation, technically making him an adult by human standards. So that would technically put that particular story at 2021.

Edit:

Perhaps the best way to get a 'timeline' of the series if one officially doesn't exist, is to go over each story very carefully to try and find clues (such as in The Man Who Returned from Mars) when they state numbers in relation to other events. Try to organize the stories in chronological order as best as possible and guess. This of course I think will be extremely difficult to do as most of Tezuka's stories simply do not mention the passage of time.

So... Who can really say? Apparently Atom's adventures take place over a really long time.
Last edited by Earthshine on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 10 years ago

hi- I LOVE THE IDEA OF ASTROBOY'S adventures taking place over many years!
THANKS EARTHSHINE....... PRAY YOU AND EVERYONE ETERNAL SALVATION AND SAFETY
ALWAYS! WITH LOVE FROM MY HEART ALWAYS- AVATARGIRL

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

Atomu timeline = throughout time and space (wait, now I am thinking of something else).
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”