Astro Boy 1980 Blu-Ray

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Kirben
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kirben » 10 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Still, in the case of Astro Boy and the new release of the Black Jack OVAs, I find it safer to wait for Anime Sols. Especially since they're supposed to do the Black Jack OVAs very soon, if they end up being Blu-ray, that will be extremely telling about their future intentions for Astro Boy. Anime Sols's sets would not only be about 3 times cheaper and have English packaging, but they would also have English subs on the discs from the get-go.

The problem with Anime Sols is they are limited to Canada & USA only, so they struggle to get enough funding. People outside the USA miss out on any bonuses, and only have the more expensive option of ordering via RightStuf later. I think we will be lucky to see complete series of Black Jack, at the rate they are going, since they are been split into sets.

Anime Sols really need to expand their rights, to Australia and Europe at the very least. Then Anime Sols can use a better service like Kickstarter, which would get much better funding.

The English dub for Wakfu (French cartoon series) would be an excellent example of how successful Kickstarter can be, when rights aren't any issue.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 10 years ago

"Kirben" wrote:[QUOTE=F-Man;223576]Still, in the case of Astro Boy and the new release of the Black Jack OVAs, I find it safer to wait for Anime Sols. Especially since they're supposed to do the Black Jack OVAs very soon, if they end up being Blu-ray, that will be extremely telling about their future intentions for Astro Boy. Anime Sols's sets would not only be about 3 times cheaper and have English packaging, but they would also have English subs on the discs from the get-go.

The problem with Anime Sols is they are limited to Canada & USA only, so they struggle to get enough funding. People outside the USA miss out on any bonuses, and only have the more expensive option of ordering via RightStuf later. I think we will be lucky to see complete series of Black Jack, at the rate they are going, since they are been split into sets.

Anime Sols really need to expand their rights, to Australia and Europe at the very least. Then Anime Sols can use a better service like Kickstarter, which would get much better funding.

The English dub for Wakfu (French cartoon series) would be an excellent example of how successful Kickstarter can be, when rights aren't any issue.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too worried for big titles such as the Black Jack OVAs or Astro Boy, especially if they're on Blu-ray. The support from Blu-ray.com members alone would be substantial. And all those people who've completely converted to HD and don't even want to buy DVDs anymore (like me, Tezuka stuff is my only exception).

By the way, I offer my services to people outside of North America who want to pledge. I've helped 4 people with this and they've saved a lot of money compared to buying on Right Stuf or Amazon.
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 10 years ago

"Kirben" wrote:The problem with Anime Sols is they are limited to Canada & USA only, so they struggle to get enough funding. People outside the USA miss out on any bonuses, and only have the more expensive option of ordering via RightStuf later. I think we will be lucky to see complete series of Black Jack, at the rate they are going, since they are been split into sets.

The English dub for Wakfu (French cartoon series) would be an excellent example of how successful Kickstarter can be, when rights aren't any issue.
Jup These American companies are actually underestimating how many copies they sell more by people importing outside of NA or at the very least those releases being sold around the world by vendors still makes a diffrence.

Then again i hate being blocked all the time period it's like i might ass well could have been a alien.
Not being abble to watch legal streams or video's on the Funimation channel etc it's retarded.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:Jup These American companies are actually underestimating how many copies they sell more by people importing outside of NA or at the very least those releases being sold around the world by vendors still makes a difference.

People overestimate how important the regional issue is for Anime Sols. Sure, it does make a real noticeable difference, but if they used Kickstarter and still blocked everyone outside of the US only, these sets would get fully funded in a single day regardless.

People like being part of a movement with Kickstarter. The website is so well known, so talked about regularly in every corner of the web, that they feel like their heroic deeds will be discussed for years to come when they pledge for an important project. Anime Sols on the other hand is a dark and tiny badly-coded website that no one ever talks about, and even after they do get a DVD released, a few people will notice and then never mention it again.

In the end it's the DVD products they release that matter and there's no question that if I lived elsewhere, I would do what I must to send them my money using any middle man that I could find, but the fact that most would not even consider that just shows that they don't really care about the products all that much, and that passionate fans of classic anime are truly a small group.

The only glimmer of hope at the end of all this is that as the Anime Sols member base continues to grow, and they keep receiving emails from the site to remind them of its existence, things can only go up from here. There will come a day when they can retry the Tezuka specials and Blue Blink, and even succeed.
Last edited by F-Man on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm on Twitter.

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

"F-Man" wrote:I'm not too worried for big titles such as the Black Jack OVAs or Astro Boy, especially if they're on Blu-ray. The support from Blu-ray.com members alone would be substantial. And all those people who've completely converted to HD and don't even want to buy DVDs anymore (like me, Tezuka stuff is my only exception).

I'm more interested in Black Jack (TV), and Black Jack 21 myself, which are going very slowly so far, with only DVD releases offered.

Talking of Blu-Ray, it would be great if Anime Sols released these titles on Blu-Ray too. Especially in the case of older cell animated series and specials, which still have excellent masters available. It is amazing how much difference a HD release can make, as shown by the images above for Astro Boy.

I don't know how people manage to limit themselves to Blu-Ray only, there is far too much animation that is still only released in English on DVD.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Kirben" wrote:I'm more interested in Black Jack (TV), and Black Jack 21 myself, which are going very slowly so far, with only DVD releases offered.

Talking of Blu-Ray, it would be great if Anime Sols released these titles on Blu-Ray too. Especially in the case of older cell animated series and specials, which still have excellent masters available. It is amazing how much difference a HD release can make, as shown by the images above for Astro Boy.

Yeah, but for the newer Black Jack TV series, they look to me like they were animated digitally, and in the early 2k's, digital anime was made in standard definition. Thankfully Astro Boy 2003 was painted on cels, and you can even see some fine grain on the high quality R2/R3 DVDs, but such is not the case for Black Jack TV.
I'm on Twitter.

-Nick-
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby -Nick- » 10 years ago

Whoa thanks for the great response! It's been awhile since I have checked in here.

I may bite the bullet and order them. Or at least the Black Jack set, as the English is not bad.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 10 years ago

I'm late to the party, but noting how the English audio is intact, does this mean that the set has episodes one and two dubbed in their entirety? I remember Jay Roth saying that the dub cast did record audio for the first two episodes, and he never knew why they were cut into one episode. If the two are dubbed on this set, I'm going to snap it up in an instant!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

At $200 per box set, plus $500 for an Oppo digital BD player, this is going to get expensive....
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

"Fauna" wrote:I'm late to the party, but noting how the English audio is intact, does this mean that the set has episodes one and two dubbed in their entirety? I remember Jay Roth saying that the dub cast did record audio for the first two episodes, and he never knew why they were cut into one episode. If the two are dubbed on this set, I'm going to snap it up in an instant!

That was answered my previous message by DrFrag:
"DrFrag" wrote:There's 2 audio streams for every episode, but episodes 1 and 2 have the same Japanese track for both streams. The rest of the episodes have dual Japanese and English audio. No subtitles. The English audio appears to have been taken from the USA DVD release which re-inserted deleted scenes that had no dialogue. The remaining deleted scenes are there with background music and sound effects, but no talking. So you get people's mouths moving and no voice coming out. Not a bad compromise I suppose.

If an uncut English dub exists for episode 2 and other missing scenes, it looks like it has been lost over time.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”