Astro Boy 2003: Sub vs Dub Analysis

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I love this episode so much in the Japanese version especially since it has the sweet bonding moment between Ochanomizu and Atom :heart:

I'm not entirely sure why they took that scene out in the English version, I wouldn't say that it made Atom look weak but who knows what they were thinking. Perhaps the decision was just to take out anything that they deemed was unnecessarily for the plot at hand due to time constrains. :confused:

Looking forward to seeing the rest. :D

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote: Perhaps the decision was just to take out anything that they deemed was unnecessarily for the plot at hand due to time constrains. :confused:

I think I have already said something similar to that before.

Otherwise, yes.
Last edited by tailz on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Postby jennytablina » 10 years ago

I seem to vividly recall on the small "making of" feature the original 2003 DVD set, that the American side of the team supporting the project stressed that they were more interested in Astro being more of an action hero, and less of a boy. Considering the first Episode or two of Japanese 2003 has Astro acting more like a kid, I'm guessing scenes with the toys and such are cut just to reinforce that.

It's ironic really because there's almost no escaping that the 2003 anime is focused very much on Astro's humanity and the question of "family" to him. The dub team seems to fight it somewhat, before totally giving up because that family theme is EVERYWHERE and integral to the series plot.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I'm glad they gave up on it, because that was my main driving force for loving the series so much.

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

Sorry I just read this now. "Triangle on square violence". LOL
I really appreciated the Japanese version better. Though I can only watch that by myself, because if anyone else see it they are always like "what is going on? Why are you watching in Japanese"? I wish I had friend that could understand this awesomeness. If even if it's not 鉄腕アトム, but anime in general.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

I know what you mean Dante69. That does get annoying. I like the Japanese versions of most of Tezuka's works to. They sound better and more realistic. (The Japanese cast can really put a lot of emotion into their lines when acting. :w00t: )

Yeah, Japanese versions of anime are better cause they are the Original! :D
Last edited by tailz on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

"tailz" wrote:I know what you mean Dante69. That does get annoying. I like the Japanese versions of most of Tezuka's works to. They sound better and more realistic. (The Japanese cast can really put a lot of emotion into their lines when acting. :w00t: )

Yeah, Japanese versions of anime are better cause they are the Original! :D

Yes, which is why I only watch the originals. ;)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Whitelion
Kokoro Robot

Postby Whitelion » 10 years ago

Wow, it's like the dubbers were fighting against the themes of the story. Guess they wanted to morph it into a action show to keep kids watching. I'm glad they didn't keep having annoying 'cliche' action hero dialogue through the whole dub, even if in the first episodes it's really annoying (like changing a curious Atom at the planet the Dr. is leaving for, and giving him a sarcastic saying like 'see you real soon' ugh). Cutting out the toy scenes? No, they were adorable! </3 Why cut out Atom sleeping like a cutie? If anything it shows the viewers he's more human than robot..I'm loving these comparisons, thank you for doing this!

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

"Whitelion" wrote:Wow, it's like the dubbers were fighting against the themes of the story. Guess they wanted to morph it into a action show to keep kids watching. I'm glad they didn't keep having annoying 'cliche' action hero dialogue through the whole dub, even if in the first episodes it's really annoying (like changing a curious Atom at the planet the Dr. is leaving for, and giving him a sarcastic saying like 'see you real soon' ugh). Cutting out the toy scenes? No, they were adorable! </3 Why cut out Atom sleeping like a cutie? If anything it shows the viewers he's more human than robot..I'm loving these comparisons, thank you for doing this!

True! I can't see anything wrong with Atomu coming off as "cute", he's meant to be a very innocent character besides being brave, for goodness' sake. :heart:
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Episode Three (Five US): Atom In Space / Destination Deimos

Postby Fauna » 10 years ago

Here we head into episode three. It's important to note that the episode ordering of the dub immediately goes bananas; Sony America really wanted to get into the action immediately, and pushed this character/world building episode to be after the Atlas arc.

In JP, we open with the guy (who looks kind of like Dr. Venture) on Deimos recording a message to his son, but in the dub, we hear some sort of telecom operator talking to the kid, then the guy starts talking? Then the guy talks about his robot staff and says, "At least I do what I tell them. Except on talent night. Picture forty robots...in a conga line! (laughs)"

This GIF is all I can feel. Why is there a "talent night" on one of Mars' moons in a place staffed by one human and hundreds of robots assumed to be emotionless? How have Tenma and Shadow not cracked down on this extremely bizarre form of robot slavery? Why is this line in the dub? Why am I suddenly fading from this plane of existence upon re-listening to it?

After this weird addition, we come across another monumental cut. Right as we pan down to Ochanomizu's house, the dub removes the following:

Yuko telling Ochanomizu about his current assignment while he hurries to get cleaned up, 13 seconds.

Astro playing with toys, 4 seconds.

Yuko getting embarrassed while Ochanomizu hastily changes, 8 seconds.

Ochanomizu accidentally gagging himself with a tie, and Astro reacting to this, 9 seconds. In total we lose 35 seconds of a perfectly fine scene that set up exposition and showed a bit of Astro's family life. I can maybe understand a touchy editor cutting the scene of Yuko accidentally seeing Ochanomizu strip off screen, but the entire thing?

Nora/Robita says that robots could maybe go berserk from "battery acid indigestion"? Also, I have to admit that Wally Wingert is pretty good as Ochanomizu. I know he can act really well, but whoever's directing him in this dub is doing a poor job at times, and he needs to not play 2000 other characters.

Dub Astro gets snarky when seeing Ochanomizu off. "See you soon! (sarcastic) See you real soon."

The dub adds more of the ship captain's directions as they head into space. As well, when Ochanomizu is asked about his overweight luggage, Ochanomizu immediately blames the "cargo manager" for miscalculating, which makes him seem just as snarky as Astro. Bleugh...

The dub changes Astro's weight of 30 kilograms to 62.7 pounds. It'd actually be 66.2 pounds.

1 second is cut of Astro wincing when his name is said sternly.

Astro's reason for coming to space in JP is that he wanted to see "the place beyond the sky", and in ENG he wants to help Ochanomizu. His reason is still a pure-hearted one in the dub, so it's not a bad change at all.

When Astro goes out of the ship, Ochanomizu blames "the magnetic force" for Astro's erratic flight, not how space has no gravity.

Some sort of knockoff 80s hairband metal starts playing in the dub when Astro goes in and lifts up the station. I almost expected Warrant to kick in and start singing about how she's my cherry pie, cool drink of water such a sweet surprise--

Archer enters. He becomes an overwhelming d-bag in the dub, while in JP, he was well-intentioned with his duties but misguided and clueless. His green robot was originally named "Greasy", but in ENG he's renamed "Higgins".

A moment is cut where Ochanomizu explains that robots would only defy orders if they had to save a life, as shots are shown of the mining robots, losing 12 seconds.

The shards they crew sees while descending are changed from being artificial elements to there being an "unknown element" in the rock. The glasses scientist in ENG claims the gravity is increasing rapidly, while in JP, he mentions the rock seems only a few thousand years old (i.e. rather recent for space). Astro asking about this is changed to him saying there's a "life form" nearby.

When Archer checks his watch in JP, he says there's 45 minutes left. In ENG, there's 30 minutes left?

A lot of Archer's lines are made 2XTREME in the dub, but one that certainly makes him a jerk is when he attempts to shoot Greasy/Higgins, but resists. In JP, it's clear he doesn't want to shoot a friend, but in ENG a bit of dialogue is added of him muttering, "No...I may need Higgins." The original scene was most likely intended to show the unexplainable bond that robots have with many humans, even while a lot of those humans may be violent with them. In the dub, Archer just looks like a wad.

The alien is referred to as a he/it, while in JP, she's a grown woman. She also refers to Astro's "power" in JP, while she calls it a "digibeam". It does sound cool, but we're left to assume that the alien is either familiar with beams like Astro's and that's her word, or she somehow knows Tenma's original term for it.

The music in the dub when Astro approaches and sees the alien cocoon is actually really pretty.

The alien seems offended in ENG that Astro doesn't want to go with her and seems to leave briskly. In JP, she understands that Astro "[has] a planet to return to, too."

The bit at the end of Ochanomizu translating her message was totally dub-only. He doesn't even have a translator in his helmet, and "Galaxian" is a dub only term. Ochanomizu in JP says the message could be a mystery until robots and humans can see eye to eye, and at that time, they may meet the alien again.

So far, this is the worst-dubbed episode I've seen. The big scene cut was entirely unnecessary, and the line changes make the episode so aggravating to watch, especially when one knows the original dialogue. The Japanese episode is pleasant filler, while the English episode is just skippable.

Next time, we'll be seeing one of my favourite episodes, "Denko" / "Into Thin Air".
Last edited by Fauna on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”