Astro Boy Reboot (Future Animated Series)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
rescuebot
Metro City Citizen

Postby rescuebot » 9 years ago

I really love the style of it. It's a modern take on what the "future" would be like in comparison to how the future was viewed in the 50s. I really like the aesthetic of the city and everything. Feels like a blend of all previous astro boy incarnations in a good way!

I'm Rescue and I love robots!
Feel free to ask for my username on other websites!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

Take a close look at the pink box suspended in the cityscape at around 30-32 seconds. If you look closely you can see a face in there (might have to freeze frame). It's Astro's face from the 60's or 80's!

You can see the same effect after 1:02 in the lower left corner as well.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

Is it just me, or does Atom's feet look like Toon Links? (Thanks to EyeOdyssey for the first image!)

ToonLinkAstro.png
ToonLinkAstro.png (171.14 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

468px-Toonlinkmain23.JPG
468px-Toonlinkmain23.JPG (16.61 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

Take a look at the image that was buried in the pink box. That is from the opening of the 1960's Astro Anime where his face first appears surrounded by a halo.
Attachments
AstroTeaseOrg.png
AstroTeaseOrg.png (65.92 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

I believe the other screens are showing footage from old Astro Boy series as well. Pretty cool.

the 鉄腕アトム fan
Beyond the Stars

Postby the 鉄腕アトム fan » 9 years ago

I just watched it!!! Omggggg. Atom~~~~~~~~ I'm not even sure I like it but I've been waiting for this forever. All I though how cute he looked, but the animation, I'm not really deciding yet because that was only a short clip of it. :astro:

That is so cool~~~~~~ I didn't notice that, the 1960 Atom <3 I'm so excited for the "more to come" :) :) :)
Last edited by the 鉄腕アトム fan on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Go Go Assstttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooo Boooooooooooooooooy :astro:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 9 years ago

Well, it looks like this whole project hasn't progressed much since the first few images were released, or I have a feeling they would have presented more than Astro just leaping into the air and flying away. :shifty:

The frustrating part is they spent as much time "building" the city as they did with Astro.

Yeah, it's "modern" looking, if using bright colors and minimizing details is what makes something "modern." As an artist, I don't feel this "flat" technique offers Astro the emotional palette that every other incarnation of him has allowed. He basically has the same expression throughout the whole segment - the little lopsided smile (which, he HAS always had). While I don't miss the corny, spiky eyelashes, and I actually really like the way they handled his hair (notice the spikes seem to move/swivel) - and I do like that he's wearing clothes, I feel the "flatness" and minimalist illustrative style on for him being the main character will work against him, unless there are other visual "surprises" coming our way.

Astro's stories were always extremely emotional - this is a very bland face (more "robotic" dare I say?)

I always felt Tezuka drew him in a somewhat "beautiful/Disneyesque" style, and this image is really devoid of that "magic." I'm not sure how this is going to work.

It's also a shame they couldn't have thrown in a few of the beloved "co-stars" - just so we could see their faces. That's why I have a feeling they are "testing" this out on audiences, but I don't think they gave us enough to get excited and curious about. The 2009 movie and 2003 anime did a MUCH more effective job at that.

Devoted fans are going to be enthusiastic, no matter what - but I'm still waiting for someone to take this wonderful character and really set him free. I don't see this venture as doing it - at least not from this 1 minute animation of him flying.

ab_tease_63_image.jpg
ab_tease_63_image.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Did you guys catch Astro's original image at about 33 seconds in?

ab_tease_jet_boost_2.jpg
ab_tease_jet_boost_2.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
ab_tease_jet_boost.jpg
ab_tease_jet_boost.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
I'm trying to understand if Astro still flies with jets, or if something else is going on here. Also why his eyes are green/blue

ab_tease_jet_view.jpg
ab_tease_jet_view.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
There seems to be "smoke" but maybe not? And I wonder what's with those blue squares on the back of his boots?

ab_tease_cobalt_hair.jpg
ab_tease_cobalt_hair.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Look! His spikes have gone "Cobalt!"
Last edited by AprilSeven on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

AstroBlaster1998
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroBlaster1998 » 9 years ago

I agree with you April. This is different from the other ones that followed Tezuka. This is a neat trailer as a whole even though I wish we could have seen more of the landscape. My theory is the white pad that Astro goes on to is an information terminal by how everything lights up and how his eyes look like little streams of data. I'm really hyped to see more of this. Also is it just be or are they reviving a lot of old cartoons. Ex. Digimon 2015. Anyhow have a good day. :o cha: :tezuka: :astro: :tezuka: :o cha:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 9 years ago

I wondered about that round "pad" too, AstroBlaster. I think you may be onto something. Seems like Astro would have "wifi" though, doesn't it? Maybe that's how he "recharges?" I look forward to finding out!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

I'm glad everyone's having a good time, but...a seven month delay for 90 seconds of Astro going to the store.

"When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!"
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”