Astro Boy Reboot (Future Animated Series)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 9 years ago

EyeOydessey, you are hysterical!! :lol:

Okay Here is my Comparision. Astro is NOT Happy. And yes, my hubby (Mr. Illustrator/animator) took one look, snorted and says - he looks like an amateur's drawing of Peter Pan!

WE MUST SPEAK UP NOW!! MAYBE WE CAN SAVE ASTRO!!! (I didn't realize he had green eyes in BOTH pictures). That's just not right. For what it's worth, at least "Little Astro Boy" retained the charm, sweetness and "energy" of the original. This is just FLAT.

astro_compare.jpg
astro_compare.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

[Reporter crew approaches me on the street]
REPORTER: Ah yes, miss? What are your feelings on the new Astro Boy reboot style?
ME: Is Tenma going to be attractive? I mean, Astro could have crab hands and I wouldn't care, so long as it's like...you know Robert Palmer? Him and a bit of--
[Report immediately cuts to another street interview]

"Shiyonasan" wrote:[QUOTE=RyHerbs;231911]The company producing this is based in France, and Tezuka Productions is obviously on board since they hold the rights to Astro Boy. Which means it's a given that the show will have French and Japanese dubs, but what about English? Has there been any word on this? I REALLY don't want to watch this show with subtitles, I will if I have to, but still...

According to a reply on a Facebook status Shibuya Productions made back in October, it'll be released in French and English first, followed by Japanese and other languages depending on broadcasters in other countries.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=722400601178478&id=277251422360067

Not sure if this means dubs or subs, but if Shibuya Productions plans on distributing this series worldwide, they're most likely going to dub this show in other languages.[/QUOTE]

I think an English dub would come pretty quickly. A lot of French cartoons wind up being dubbed in Canada, so I can predict this airing on Teletoon sooner than anywhere else in the Anglophone world. (This has happened with a lot of other shows from this same production company.)
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:[QUOTE=RyHerbs;231929]If the show's going to go mainstream, Astro's design had to be changed. The "boots and underwear" look is too outdated/weird for the average western audience. For Japan and long time Astro Boy fans its fine, but they're probably hoping to give Astro a broader appeal. After the 2009 animated movie flopped, Astro's been considered a risky franchise to take on, so personally I'm just glad the series is being rebooted at all...I can live with the design changes.

As I alluded, I could do without the boots/underwear/spikey eyelashes of the orignal anime/manga Astro.

However, consider the beautiful technique used on Urasawa's Pluto. Astro was completely "updated" (some would say unrecognizable) - but the quality was wonderful, and he wasn't drawn to emulate the look of many/most manga characters. Green eyes may have been a compromise. As far as I am concerned, I am less than enthusiastic about any new series, especially when made outside Japan. At least the unlicensed comics had recognizable characters.

A franchise such as Astro Boy really doesn't have to lower its visual impact to appeal to a "broad audience." It's also about the writing -- and also the marketing. Sorry, but I stand by my feeling about the style. Being an artist -- and being married to an illustrator -- might make me a bit more critical of the result, but I'm going to post a series of Astro faces, and I think it will be evident what I'm saying. That's not to say I'm not thrilled to have a new series -- but if it's being treated too "casually" they could hasten it's demise instead of expanding its appeal. Heck, it looks like they spent more time on the BACKGROUND than on the main character!!![/QUOTE]
I agree about the eye color, NBC ENTERPRISES was no doubt behind Leo's blue eyes in the 196x Jungle Emperor (Kimba the White Lion). While brown eyes are no doubt dominant, it is almost certain that the US syndicated market was at least assumed to relate better to blue eyes than to brown, even though color TVs were far from universal at that time.

Akino
Kokoro Robot

Link for Astroboy reboot site

Postby Akino » 9 years ago

Hello hello
I'm Akino, I found a link which allows to join the Astroboy reboot community ^^
http://signup.astroboy-reboot.com/

Bye Bye ^^

rescuebot
Metro City Citizen

Postby rescuebot » 9 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:EyeOydessey, you are hysterical!! :lol:

Okay Here is my Comparision. Astro is NOT Happy. And yes, my hubby (Mr. Illustrator/animator) took one look, snorted and says - he looks like an amateur's drawing of Peter Pan!

WE MUST SPEAK UP NOW!! MAYBE WE CAN SAVE ASTRO!!! (I didn't realize he had green eyes in BOTH pictures). That's just not right. For what it's worth, at least "Little Astro Boy" retained the charm, sweetness and "energy" of the original. This is just FLAT.

[attachment=]3696[/attachment]

As much as Astro doesn't look like the usual Tezuka style I think we should give him and the show a chance. We hardly know anything about it yet aside from a few pictures released right? I think I'll save my judgement for when I hear the voice acting and see a few episodes/what plot they're going with. I... actually don't have too much of a problem with the art style change, it looks interesting - reminds me of bubbirobot's art. Maybe I'm just spoiled with transformers which seems to get a reboot and style change every two years but... I digress... I don't think we should dismiss it so swiftly given what little we know of the show but... that's just my opinion.

As for speaking up now and saving Astro I don't think very much is going to change in terms of style at this point in production....

I'm Rescue and I love robots!
Feel free to ask for my username on other websites!

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 9 years ago

"EyeOdyssey" wrote:
He will actually, but in the reboot he is barely recognizable when compared to his past appearances...

I'm not sure if you mean the picture you drew.

On another thing, can we please stop bashing the pic of Astro flying? It's a perspective view, and you can tell even more with the first picture.
I'm not trying to be a offend anyone, I just want it to end. :unsure:
:hyo: whoops

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

"Umbral-Coltwings" wrote:[QUOTE=EyeOdyssey;231936]

He will actually, but in the reboot he is barely recognizable when compared to his past appearances...

I'm not sure if you mean the picture you drew.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's what he meant. He was just joking about how Cobalt would return and look "barely recognizable" in Astro Boy Reboot.

On another thing, can we please stop bashing the pic of Astro flying? It's a perspective view, and you can tell even more with the first picture.
I'm not trying to be a offend anyone, I just want it to end. :unsure:

Your request definitely isn't without merit. For all we know, it's probably just a mid-animation shot that isn't meant to be seen for more than a second while watching the show.

While I do agree it isn't the greatest art style, I don't think it's that terrible to be honest. To use an old adage: don't judge a book by it's cover. We still have yet to see the show in animation and we've only seen four official images of the show so far. We might as well give it a chance at this point.

Yushee
Kokoro Robot
Location: USA. I'd much rather be in Metro City though, if it existed ;7;

Postby Yushee » 9 years ago

It be March 3rd, and if the trailer comes out on the 21st, we've got 18 days.
So close but so long at the same time >U<
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Resisting the adorableness is not an option. :astro: :astro: :astro:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

"Yushee" wrote:It be March 3rd, and if the trailer comes out on the 21st, we've got 18 days.
So close but so long at the same time >U<

The teaser trailer is definitely coming out on the 21st, so you won't have to worry about that "if". ;)

alexcat
Metro City Citizen

Postby alexcat » 9 years ago

Anyone see this fan's highly accurate rendition of the new Astro Design, giving us a better look at how he may look in the series.

astro_reboot_by_astro_boy_2003-d8gw4w3.jpg
astro_reboot_by_astro_boy_2003-d8gw4w3.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the image an attachment to prevent the screen from stretching.
Check out my comics:
http://www.drunkduck.com/user/alexcat321/

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”