Astro Boy Reboot (Future Animated Series)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

With the amount of creative freedom they have, they could end up making something really good or really bad. That makes me nervous. If they stuck to the same plot, they'd be guaranteed a pretty good score. But the story has been told several times already in different ways and I think I'd like to see another variation, if that makes sense.

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 8 years ago

Seeing those holograms in the background showed the 80's anime, perhaps they'll go in that direction with the story. Judging by his silhouette Atlas looks almost identical to Atom's design, just like how he was based off Atom's blueprints in the 80's. Who knows, maybe Atlas IS Atom this time? I think it be cool if Atlas was a name of a computer program/virus that Atom contains.

One thing for sure, this waiting time is letting me create so many possible ideas XD
Last edited by YJ_Doodle on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammatical Errors

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Rejoyce wrote:With the amount of creative freedom they have, they could end up making something really good or really bad. That makes me nervous. If they stuck to the same plot, they'd be guaranteed a pretty good score. But the story has been told several times already in different ways and I think I'd like to see another variation, if that makes sense.

Oh, absolutely. I mean I actually don't like most of the original stories that much, it would seem; I like the 2003 series the best so far, and that one had the most original storylines out of all the major incarnations thus far. (Plus it looks pretty.) I'd actually like to see something new; a breath of fresh air! And besides, even a rehash runs the risk of becoming stagnant; just because it worked once or twice, doesn't mean it should happen again... and again... and again. :T

Plus, the animation looks gorgeous so far. And once you get used to him, Astro is actually really cute!

YJ_Doodle wrote:Seeing those holograms in the background showed the 80's anime, perhaps they'll go in that direction with the story. Judging by his silhouette Atlas looks almost identical to Atom's design, just like how he was based off Atom's blueprints in the 80's. Who knows, maybe Atlas IS Atom this time? I think it be cool if Atlas was a name of a computer program/virus that Atom contains.

One thing for sure, this waiting time is letting me create so many possible ideas XD

Actually, that was from the original 1963 series! Atlas was completely different in that offering, too; he was based off of his manga counterpart, for the most part, from my understanding. Atlas wasn't supposed to be related to Astro at all; he did have sort of an issue with humans and authority, always, though. It was how he was designed by his bitter and vengeful creator... (Although he had an excellent reason for it. Granted, creating something as dangerous as Atlas was probably a very bad idea...)

I actually... had a thought not unlike that. Like a virus, sure; or maybe even a programmed alternate personality-type thing; an intense battle mode where he sort of loses himself. Of course, he could just be a copy (or an original!) that's out to get Astro this time around, for some reason. We don't even know if he''s anything like his previous incarnations; although he seems to at least share a connection with Astro, as in the 80's version. The extent of this relationship remains to be seen... as well as much of Atlas' appearance. :T
lolwut

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 8 years ago

Oh HUMBUG, I keep making mistakes about everything! I feel bad :( I need to get my facts straight about this.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Oh nonononono, don't feel bad! It wasn't too bad of a mistake! And there are only so many versions, anyways... At least as far as major animated incarnations go. Thus far, there are only about three. (I only count series here, so the movie and OVAs are out (and the OVAs tend to borrow styles from one source or another anyways). Also, since Little Astro Boy is a little-known branch that's fairly far removed from the rest of the franchise, and because it is not very long- like, 12 episodes, I think?- I'm not counting that one, either.)
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

I might be reading too much into this, but the fact that they put those bits of the 1963 series into the teaser inside of hologram like artwork makes me think that they are going to respect the canon and the original characters to some degree. They are (obviously) going to change the artwork style, but one could argue that anime and manga have changed since Tezuka, and they might want to update things to reflect that. One thing for sure, the way that they hid those bits of the 1963 anime inside of the teaser required a bit of special video editing software and an HD download to be able to discover it!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Um. Video-editing is pretty standard in that line of work, methinks...

Anyways, that was certainly a nod to the original, but it might not have been anything more than that: an homage.
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Um. Video-editing is pretty standard in that line of work, methinks...

Yeah, I meant that we had some people here on the forum that were able to dissect the video and enhance the buried images so it was obvious what it was. Otherwise, it went by a bit too fast for the eye to catch.

Anyways, that was certainly a nod to the original, but it might not have been anything more than that: an homage.

Maybe, but someone there must be a Tezuka fan.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Which bodes rather well, I hope. This means that they will probably try their hardest to produce a quality series. I'm still all for the original content, as I don't seem to much like most of the original very much in retrospect (or at least, I don't like it enough to look at it again and again, ad nauseam). I'm hoping for something fresh, and fun to look at; I hope there's substance to it, outside of just "it looks pretty".
lolwut

EyeOdyssey

Postby EyeOdyssey » 8 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:I actually... had a thought not unlike that. Like a virus, sure; or maybe even a programmed alternate personality-type thing; an intense battle mode where he sort of loses himself. Of course, he could just be a copy (or an original!) that's out to get Astro this time around, for some reason. We don't even know if he''s anything like his previous incarnations; although he seems to at least share a connection with Astro, as in the 80's version. The extent of this relationship remains to be seen... as well as much of Atlas' appearance. :T

While the war mode thing is more likely (being that it's been a common Sci Fi cliche since The Iron Giant), I do think the Atlas virus would be a better approach to take. In the series it could be a method to induce terror that somehow found its way into Astro's A.I. chip, the author of the virus being unknown.

I do recall writing something similar about the whole virus thing, and you said it was similar to your war mode concept. With the whole virus idea I had, it was less of an alter ego and more of an actual virus. Doing progressive harm to the host as it takes effect. Deleting memories, wearing down mechanics, essentially killing the host from the inside out. It's unlikely they would ever do that for the show, but it would be a neat upgrade to the canon referencing the computer tech we have now. Maybe the characters could even install an Adblocker to Astro's computer to prevent the whole thing from happening (cue comedic drum fill).
For more, have a stop by The EyeOdyssey Lounge.
http://eyeodyssey.tumblr.com/

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”