27, Wings Flapping Towards Tomorrow (Jet Mars)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 9 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Hm, this is the series' end, right? I think I saw a clip of the last few moments of the episode... Why does he fly away with Melchi like that? Where are they going? And while Yamanoue seems to have survived the accident, is he still alive at this point? You said he was captured by some villain, so...

In the end clip Mars is looking for Yamanoue. He was kidnapped. If this helps explain things, in the second last scene, Kawashimo notices that Miri’s worried about Mars. Kawashimo tells her that Mars won’t return until he finds Yamanoue and when the country (the one that Ropuras had control over) is stable, they will return to Japan. Adios did tell Mars and Melchi to team up; it shows that after episode 23, he does appreciate their sibling relationship. Melchi is also connected to Yamanoue because, technically speaking, he is his son.

Yamanoue in episode 8 was left for dead but they never found the body. The Japanese episode is also called “Where did Father Went?”, which hints that he’s missing more than he’s dead. Unlike the others at the weapon test, he hid in a truck which was the main reason he survived.

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:Unlike Astro boy, I don't think the final episode of Mars was planned as such.

I wouldn’t say that the 1960s ending was being evoked nor that Tezuka wanted to end it this way because he wanted to move on from the 1960s anime. Jetter Mars’s ending has more unanswered questions but it’s mostly because they brought up Yamanoue again and it’s was somewhat ambiguous what Mars’s fate will be. (Kawashimo strongly hinted that Mars will return). Also, Tezuka followed up on Astro Boy’s ending through the manga. Thematically, I think the Jetter Mars ending fits the message of the series and it was well thought out. This episode shows that Mars and Yamanoue matured throughout the course of the series.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 9 years ago

Mm, it was a very short series... I wouldn't think that that would be enough time for any real development, but... I haven't seen all of it, and it would matter very little if I did, given my lack of comprehension of any of its dub languages.

Didn't someone once say that Mars was supposed to take a leading role in a sort of sequel series to the 1960's one?
lolwut

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Mm, it was a very short series... I wouldn't think that that would be enough time for any real development, but... I haven't seen all of it, and it would matter very little if I did, given my lack of comprehension of any of its dub languages.

Actually, Mars did grow a lot within a 27 episode period. He learned valuable lesions though his experiences and became more compassionate and wiser throughout the course of the series. At first, Yamanoue was concerned about Mars growing into a warrior to protect Japan. He made Mars study for long periods of time and trained him physically. Yamanoue also would tell Mars that emotions were not necessary for being a strong man, and for a while, Mars believed his father. But Mars managed to grow emotionally with the help of Miri and his experiences. In the end, Mars starts follow what he thinks is right even if it goes against Yamanoue’s wishes.

Yamanoue started to grow as well, since he first treats Mars as a tool but becomes more fatherly towards Mars. However, his change is slower and more gradual and he still acts authoritative towards Mars. Even so, by the end of the series Yamanoue does learn to value emotions.

When he lives with Kawashimo, Mars wasn’t pressured to study or train for long periods of time. Kawashimo didn’t treat Mars like he was a bad kid while Yamanoue would often threaten Mars to get him to do something that he wanted. Kawashimo also allowed Mars to interact with the outside world. Mars matured in his new environment. Because of Mars’s experiences, Mars became more in tune with his emotions.

Jetter Mars still conveys its message well; it didn’t need a lot of episodes to develop its themes. Even with more episodes, the narrative probably wouldn’t change that much.

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Didn't someone once say that Mars was supposed to take a leading role in a sort of sequel series to the 1960's one?

Mars was initially meant to be an successor to Astro Boy, but that idea was ditched early in production because the 1960’s version of Astro Boy’s rights was owned by their sponsorship company.
Last edited by Crazy_Red on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

:o hmy: I thought Mars was made because of the ownership issue! As I recall, A network wanted an Atom series of its own, & :tezuka: made Jet Mars as the closest thing he could legally make.

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

"jeffbert" wrote: :o hmy: I thought Mars was made because of the ownership issue! As I recall, A network wanted an Atom series of its own, & :tezuka: made Jet Mars as the closest thing he could legally make.

Nope, that’s not what happened. According to a Japanese book: Astro Boy Illustrated, Jetter Mars was meant to be a successor series to the 1960’s Astro Boy series. Jetter Mars and Astro Boy were both broadcasted on Fuji Television so it wouldn’t make any sense for Fuiji to request their own Astro Boy-like series. It’s more like Fuji wanted a sequel.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 9 years ago

See, that's very different from my understanding of it. From what I heard, the anime rights to Astro Boy was up in the air when Mushi studios went bankrupt and Tezuka (and probably Fuji TV) decided to make a new character. I could see Tezuka and Fuji TV deciding Jetter Mars would be the "successor" to Astro mainly because they lost the anime rights to him and were unsure if they'd get it back

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 9 years ago

I just noticed. Something
Mars sleeps in PJs and yet is in nothing but briefs and boots when he's out in public? O_o

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 9 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol: Excellent observation!

His "spikes" are also more like :astro:

Maybe this is Jetter Mars' version of "bed head!" ;)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”