Saddest scene/Most enduring scene

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Photar » 9 years ago

Gosh you guys are good! I never understood why Astro didnt want Lily to know he was a robot but it was heartbreaking nonetheless. And Yushee I couldnt agree more. That scene set the tone and basically the entire story for the entire series.

Commander Keely (is that his name?) that sacrifices himself to destroy the last Alien Mothership after apologising to Astro for giving him an empty energy cassette.

"I'm not leaving Captain Astro alone here!"

Also the commander of the human fighter squadron sent out to destroy Atlas (but it turns out that it's aliens - bleedin STRONG ones at that). His death was sad because he'd also lost his brother. Then there's Mitsy and the White Planet (did she die?) Robio and Robiette being melded into one grotesque robotic sculpture coupled with Dr Elefun's "Are you satisfied! You've destroyed your most beautiful creations.....". Pook's mother, that poor robot Hyena that gets STOMPED! The robotic Lion that cops it after bravely taking on the robot elephant, and even the little 'Zeus' robotic brain's "I just wanted to be your friend'.

Man when you think about it, it's a pretty depressing show!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Ah also the death of the creator of that robot that could turn into whatever he wanted. Man that robot kicked butt! Becomes a lion, a shark and even a horse.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

The name of the mars captain was Ketchup in either the Japanese or elv, not sure which. I used him as an OC in one of my fan fics.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Yushee
Kokoro Robot
Location: USA. I'd much rather be in Metro City though, if it existed ;7;

Postby Yushee » 9 years ago

Another part that seemed sad to me was...I think it was Episode 2 of Astro Boy 1980. Hamegg (or whatever his name is) trapped Astro in a small box, and when Tenma was calling out to find Astro, he couldn't respond or get out, and was pretty much seperated from Tenma.

Didn't Livian die at one point near the beginning and Atlas being sad/angry about it? That seemed sad to me too. XD
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Resisting the adorableness is not an option. :astro: :astro: :astro:

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 9 years ago

Nothing is more sad than the ending episode of 2003 (for me). Especially when Umataro tries to kill himself and makes Atomu cry. They hold each other and.... you know the rest.
I know Tenma's first name in 2003 is not Umataro, but since it was his original and I cannot find proof he is Nagayima. Honestly if anyone has proof I would love to see it. I call him Umataro all the time. I kinda think of it like this- He WAS Umataro, but because of legal reasons he changed it to Nagayima. Just a little idea of mine (even though incorrect).
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Yushee
Kokoro Robot
Location: USA. I'd much rather be in Metro City though, if it existed ;7;

Postby Yushee » 9 years ago

Wah, spoilers :eek:
Meh, I probably wasn't gonna get to the ending of 2003 anime anytime soon, anyway. XD (The 1980 anime is the only one I haven't discovered the ending of yet oAo)

Also, imagine Tenma's friends calling him "Umataro" when he was a kid. It would be a mouthful to say it between quick sentences. But, I'm getting off topic, so XD
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Resisting the adorableness is not an option. :astro: :astro: :astro:

SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 9 years ago

"Fotar" wrote:I never understood why Astro didnt want Lily to know he was a robot but it was heartbreaking nonetheless.

It wasn't stated explicitly in the manga, but judging from Atom's deep desire to be a real human (which can be identified all throughout the manga), it's easy to infer that he wanted at least one person in his life to believe that he was truly human. Especially if that person was a cute girl his age whom he may or may not have had a crush on.

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 9 years ago

"Dante69" wrote:Nothing is more sad than the ending episode of 2003 (for me). Especially when Umataro tries to kill himself and makes Atomu cry. They hold each other and.... you know the rest.

You and I are of the same mind. This was one of the first Astro Boy things I really saw and it's really stuck with me.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

One of the saddest scene for me was in the ELV 1980s anime during episode XI "Goliath's Head".

click for spoilerGoliath at the end of it explodes right as Atom was trying to save him from himself and after it happens Atom flies away screaming, almost sobbing "Why was a robot like that even made!?" referencing Goliath's life as a flawed weapon intended for terraforming.

It was a striking scene for me and probably one of the more intense scene of the anime up until that point, at least for the ELV (not sure about the JLV).

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

That's so true Earthshine. With this (paid) time off work (typical Australian on workers Comp) I'm gonna make a new montage - will start a new thread to get music suggestions (AND scene suggestions)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”