Thoughts about the Astro/ Tenma relationship in the 2003 series?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

Thoughts about the Astro/ Tenma relationship in the 2003 series?

Postby falloutflowers » 9 years ago

Can we talk about Dr. Tenma though?
I personally don’t think he was recognized as much as he should of have been in the 1963 and 1980’s cartoon as he was in the 2003 anime.

I’m thankful that the 2003 show got more in depth with his character, because he is what really makes the show interesting.
Without it Astro would just be an amazingly heroic character without any real backstory. (He’d still be a cutie, though.)
I don’t even think Tenma is a bad character. I have a headcanon where he secretly missed Astro and wanted to make things right with him. Imagine seeing a robot that looks exactly like your son going against you. I mean really.

What are your thoughts about the subject?
[FONT="Garamond"]"Humans are lost. Alone, they struggle in the darkness, and hurt themselves in fear. They don't know where they came from, or where they're going."[/FONT]

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

I personally was really happy that Dr. Tenma got more of a role in the 2003 anime than he did in the manga or the other two animes. As we know, in the other incarnations of Dr. Tenma he just kind of fades into the distance after a certain point (only appearing briefly for certain events or just cameoing).

In the 2003 anime he was a really interesting character and crucial to the plot, it gave the series some substance and he acted both as Atom's guardian angel and his enemy (OMG Maleficent) which is always a great trope (if rare).

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 9 years ago

LOL! Talk about Umataro? I would rather not. Too embarrassing for me to say anything.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

"Dante69" wrote:LOL! Talk about Umataro? I would rather not. Too embarrassing for me to say anything.

I still can't figure out if it would be bad or good. Lol! :lol:
[FONT="Garamond"]"Humans are lost. Alone, they struggle in the darkness, and hurt themselves in fear. They don't know where they came from, or where they're going."[/FONT]

falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

"Earthshine" wrote:I personally was really happy that Dr. Tenma got more of a role in the 2003 anime than he did in the manga or the other two animes. As we know, in the other incarnations of Dr. Tenma he just kind of fades into the distance after a certain point (only appearing briefly for certain events or just cameoing).

In the 2003 anime he was a really interesting character and crucial to the plot, it gave the series some substance and he acted both as Atom's guardian angel and his enemy (OMG Maleficent) which is always a great trope (if rare).

I love how you called Tenma Astro's "guardian angel" I really think that fits him well! I agree

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

Tenma sort of was a 'guardian angel' in that he threw challenges at Atom but never anything that he did not feel confident that he couldn't handle - and he also saved him from harm although from a distance. However he also acted as the main antagonist to Atom and the main source of conflict for the show. He never was "evil" nor was he innately "bad" either but could have justifiably been "lost" or even "mentally traumatized" due to the loss of his son.

This is an interesting character with lots of room for interpretation. There are others that simply view him as "a bad guy" and not worth much thought (he did chase Atom with a shovel in the manga, and he did sell him so that's pretty bad). However we're blessed with different incarnations that are distinct.

I wonder how the new anime from France will portray him?

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

Well, I think that their relationship in the 2003 series is much more deeper and complex than the previous series, which is good because it lets the audience think more, if you know what I mean.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

:lol: I will add a few things to this discussion.

1st, falloutflowers, are you aware that Tenma appeared in episodes that were not in the USA version of the 1960s series? I have made threads on all 89 of these, & in this current thread, can put links to those threads.

2nd (should have been 1st, but too bad!), in the Shonen manga (the original publisher), Tenma actually rescued Atom from THE EGYPTIAN CONSPIRATORS, though he disguised himself because he was ashamed of his earlier ill-treatment of Atom. In advising the robot Cleopatra to turn against her creator/father who would use her for evil, he retold Atom's having turned against him in the AMBASSADOR (CAPTAIN) ATOM story.

In Greatest Robot, because Ochanomizu had refused to increase his power, Atom went to Tenma, who did increase his power ten fold so he could fight Pluto. It seems that this incident may have made Tenma desire Atom again, so that after the Blue Knight nearly destroyed him, Tenma who alone could repair him, did so on condition that he would keep him.

In the version published in a newspaper, many details were added to the creation story, including Tenma's wife. I guess I should have asked how much of this you already knew-- :p

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Tenma's appearances in the 89 excluded episodes

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

Only three other episodes:
054, Duel on the Alps

172, Herald Brothers

183, Japanese People from Space

edit: :blush: Oops! I forgot that you wanted to discuss the 2033 series! :blush:
Last edited by jeffbert on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

"jeffbert" wrote: :lol: I will add a few things to this discussion.

1st, falloutflowers, are you aware that Tenma appeared in episodes that were not in the USA version of the 1960s series? I have made threads on all 89 of these, & in this current thread, can put links to those threads.

2nd (should have been 1st, but too bad!), in the Shonen manga (the original publisher), Tenma actually rescued Atom from THE EGYPTIAN CONSPIRATORS, though he disguised himself because he was ashamed of his earlier ill-treatment of Atom. In advising the robot Cleopatra to turn against her creator/father who would use her for evil, he retold Atom's having turned against him in the AMBASSADOR (CAPTAIN) ATOM story.

In Greatest Robot, because Ochanomizu had refused to increase his power, Atom went to Tenma, who did increase his power ten fold so he could fight Pluto. It seems that this incident may have made Tenma desire Atom again, so that after the Blue Knight nearly destroyed him, Tenma who alone could repair him, did so on condition that he would keep him.

In the version published in a newspaper, many details were added to the creation story, including Tenma's wife. I guess I should have asked how much of this you already knew-- :p

Thank you for adding this! I had no idea! :D I'd love the links, this sounds so interesting. It doesn't matter if I wanted to talk about the 2003 series, this is some amazing information. You really know you stuff :p Thank you again!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”