Reprints of original manga

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 9 years ago

The picture on the left was on display as part of an art exhibit of Tezuka's work shown at a Japanese museum shortly after Tezuka's death. Interesting, the "Kappa" version, which is the same as what was published in a Kodansha "Complete works of Tezuka" Astro Boy volume, is what is known as "The Space Travelers"! I believe "The Space Travelers" was published in 1953. The DH version was taken from the Akita Shonen complete works of Astro Boy and is the version most reprinted as canon for Astro Boy. Thank you, Jeffbert. This has been most illuminating. I hope you will grace us with more of this fascinating information. I :heart: :astro: :) Something else that is interesting because of what you said about not having seen the one on the left is that I had always believed that one was the original version. I hope when you are able that you examine the differences between original CA manga and ST. I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by Earthshine on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: we do not allow double posting when avoidable

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

Actually, unit 1 contained CAPT. ATOM, U7 contained THE SPACE TRAVELERS:

00_Space_T_003.jpg
00_Space_T_003.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

NOTE THE SPELLING OF 'BASED.'

Anyway, so far, I have a very detailed comparison of CA, ST, & the KAPPA version of ST; though this is based entirely on a visual inspection, as I cannot read Japanese. I noted one minor difference between the K & the DH, versions. Generally K is = DH, as I think that the Akita Shonen merely reprinted the K. I have 2 of the Kappa sets, I think there are 5 in all. :astro:

I need to condense this comparison, but now working on Red Cat.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

First, Hello, JeffBert! I trust you had a happy Thanksgiving! Okay, let me start by saying that the Kappa Comics Extra 2003 reprints, with some color pages, the "Ambassador Atom" serial as it was reprinted in the first Kodansha volume of "Astro Boy" and is said to be the version closest to the original Shonen manga version published by Kobunsha which is advertised as being in the Daizenshu reprints that you have. The difference between the Akita Shonen and DH versions and the Kodansha & KCE 2003 version is that the Kodansha version includes a title page for each section much like collected editions of American comic strips, while the Akita Shonen version does not. (see illustration # 1) If your copy of "The Space Travelers" contains such a title page then you are right and the KCE 2003 is indeed "The Space Travelers" which appears to be a collected edition of the Ambassador/Captain Atom serial.

Now a question; Do the CA reprints in your first set feature the original covers for the Shonen manga volumes that featured each chapter of CA? (see ilustration# 2)

Again I thank you for your patience and your illuminating answers to the questions that I feel are important to have an an understanding of the history of Mighty Atom/Astro Boy!

I :heart: :astro: :)
Attachments
Shonen covers.jpg
Shonen covers.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
CA.jpg
CA.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Every monthly chapter has its own cover panel, & some have entire cover pages. Occasionally, the cover/title panel is actually part of the story, that is, it is panel #1 & numbered as such.

Yes, the DH is indeed THE SPACE TRAVELERS. Though I cannot read Japanese, I can tell the difference between the original dialog & the revision, which occurs in the rewritten or condensed versions. While the graphics are often the same, the dialog rarely is. :p

The title page of ST, which I assume is unique to the reprint, says 1953 10 - 12, omitting the Japanese text between '1953' & '10' & such.
Last edited by jeffbert on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Okay if I understand you correctly the DH version which states that some artwork is missing is the version that was published as "The Space Travelers"?

The original "Ambassador/Captain Atom" reprints each has a corresponding cover from the group of covers shown above each picturing a Japanese boy in some kind of boyish action? Then each chapter begins with a title page like the one pictured above. (Which is the title page from installment number two or the installment published as May, 1951)

To make this clearer to me, I will post a page from the DH version and a page from the Kappa Comic Extra 2003 version. Please tell me which page appears in "The Space Travelers" and if the other page appears in the original reprints of "Captain Atom". (So there is no misunderstanding, the color page is from KCE2003 and the page in B/W and English from DH.)

Thank you again for your input and patience! (So there is no misunderstanding, the pages are shown here for scholarly study and are copyrighted by their respective copyright holders.)

Attachments
CA-2.jpg
CA-2.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
CA.jpg
CA.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

NEITHER ONE APPEARS IN ST; the color image is from CA, and is the 1st page of the 08/1951 chapter. Both CA & ST end with Atom offering his head to the Space people (DH p 184). Kappa continues as does DH to bring a proper ending.

BTW, only the two top rows in 184 are from the ST/CA. I had not gone into a detailed analysis of the Kappa's differences to ST, & right now, with 3 windows of PHOTO VIEWER on screen, CA, ST, & DH, I scrolled backward from the last pages (184 of DH) & the DH 183 is indeed a mirror of the CA's next to last page, while ST's is different. :p Though, I guess, with the cutting of many panels/pages, Tezuka obviously used pages / panels from CA that had not been in ST.

:astro:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:NEITHER ONE APPEARS IN ST; the color image is from CA, and is the 1st page of the 08/1951 chapter. Both CA & ST end with Atom offering his head to the Space people (DH p 184). Kappa continues as does DH to bring a proper ending. BTW, only the two top rows in 184 are from the ST/CA. I had not gone into a detailed analysis of the Kappa's differences to ST, & right now, with 3 windows of PHOTO VIEWER on screen, CA, ST, & DH, I scrolled backward from the last pages (184 of DH) & the DH 183 is indeed a mirror of the CA's next to last page, while ST's is different. :p Though, I guess, with the cutting of many panels/pages, Tezuka obviously used pages / panels from CA that had not been in ST. :astro:

Thanks, JeffBert for your prompt response!

Let's see if I understand you correctly. The panels, as they appear on pg. 181 of DH--OTOAB Vol.# 15 with Astro Boy wearing a cape does not appear in either CA or ST?

The concluding page of Kappa Comic Extra 2003 has a few panels more than the scene where Astro Boy leaves his head. Are you saying the original manga ended with Atom's gesture of good faith! (BTW, Do you have a copy of KCE2003?) This would mean it seems that Dr. Tezuka redid his manga every chance he got.

(BTW, I just noticed in the KCE2003 edition, Astro Boy is shot out of a cannon and that's how he makes it up to the alien ship; where as in the DH volume he makes his way up to the ship under his own power, (his jets).
(Is this featured in either CA or ST or both?)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;230833]NEITHER ONE APPEARS IN ST; the color image is from CA, and is the 1st page of the 08/1951 chapter. Both CA & ST end with Atom offering his head to the Space people (DH p 184). Kappa continues as does DH to bring a proper ending. BTW, only the two top rows in 184 are from the ST/CA. I had not gone into a detailed analysis of the Kappa's differences to ST, & right now, with 3 windows of PHOTO VIEWER on screen, CA, ST, & DH, I scrolled backward from the last pages (184 of DH) & the DH 183 is indeed a mirror of the CA's next to last page, while ST's is different. :p Though, I guess, with the cutting of many panels/pages, Tezuka obviously used pages / panels from CA that had not been in ST. :astro:

Let's see if I understand you correctly. The panels, as they appear on pg. 181 of DH--OTOAB Vol.# 15 with Astro Boy wearing a cape does not appear in either CA or ST?

The concluding page of Kappa Comic Extra 2003 has a few panels more than the scene where Astro Boy leaves his head. Are you saying the original manga ended with Atom's gesture of good faith! (BTW, Do you have a copy of KCE2003?) This would mean it seems that Dr. Tezuka redid his manga every chance he got.

(BTW, I just noticed in the KCE2003 edition, Astro Boy is shot out of a cannon and that's how he makes it up to the alien ship; where as in the DH volume he makes his way up to the ship under his own power, (his jets).

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
last 1st: both CA & ST use the cannon in fact, both page 80 CA & 87 ST appear identical, except for the dialog.

Yes, both CA & ST end, oops, that good faith offering was on row 2/4. Then, the next to last panel has Atom with 2 heads, one on him, the other, taken from the box that the Space people just sent. S Tamao handed E Tamao the box on row 3:
LAST PAGE, CA & ST.jpg
LAST PAGE, CA & ST.jpg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 1614 times

left: CA, right: ST.

So it appears that the SP sent 2 heads.

Finally, the 1st Q: correct, I could not find any of the 6 panels on DH v 15 p 181 in either CA or ST. I am certain that Tezuka had rewritten the ending for some reason, perhaps fans had been asking questions about the ending, since it appears that it was very brief & perhaps, still left something to the readers' imagination.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;230834][QUOTE=jeffbert;230833]NEITHER ONE APPEARS IN ST; the color image is from CA, and is the 1st page of the 08/1951 chapter. Both CA & ST end with Atom offering his head to the Space people (DH p 184). Kappa continues as does DH to bring a proper ending. BTW, only the two top rows in 184 are from the ST/CA. I had not gone into a detailed analysis of the Kappa's differences to ST, & right now, with 3 windows of PHOTO VIEWER on screen, CA, ST, & DH, I scrolled backward from the last pages (184 of DH) & the DH 183 is indeed a mirror of the CA's next to last page, while ST's is different. :p Though, I guess, with the cutting of many panels/pages, Tezuka obviously used pages / panels from CA that had not been in ST. :astro:

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
last 1st: both CA & ST use the cannon in fact, both page 80 CA & 87 ST appear identical, except for the dialog.

Yes, both CA & ST end, oops, that good faith offering was on row 2/4. Then, the next to last panel has Atom with 2 heads, one on him, the other, taken from the box that the Space people just sent. S Tamao handed E Tamao the box on row 3:
[attachment=]3611[/attachment]
left: CA, right: ST.

So it appears that the SP sent 2 heads.

Finally, the 1st Q: correct, I could not find any of the 6 panels on DH v 15 p 181 in either CA or ST. I am certain that Tezuka had rewritten the ending for some reason, perhaps fans had been asking questions about the ending, since it appears that it was very brief & perhaps, still left something to the readers' imagination.[/QUOTE]

The pages above are what is shown in Kappa Comics Extra 2003. It may be that the DH version/Akita Shonen version was drawn specifically for that series of reprints; in the way "The Birth of Atom" story was drawn specifically for that series of reprints.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I do not know about the Kappa Comics Extra 2003, other than what you have told me, but the 2 sets of KAPPA reprints I have are nearly identical to the DH & these are in some cases very different from the reprints of the original comics. But if you have that page, then you have a reprint of either the CA or the ST. If yours includes the few pages that precede Tezuka's intro in the DH, your Kappa Comics Extra 2003 is almost certainly the CA. The ST features an intro by Tezuka, in which his reflection in a pond makes him appear upside down for the 1st 5 or 6 panels.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”