What makes a hero AND my latest 'creation'

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

What makes a hero AND my latest 'creation'

Postby Photar » 9 years ago

Am off work sick at the moment with severely inflamed vocal chords but we're looking at heroes as part of our English unit at the moment. Of course Ill use any excuse to include the Greatest Robot in the World story arc in my lessons.

I think I may have some OCD issues - I know. But I think most of us would be a little left of center since we're all fascinated by a 35 year old television series about a boy robot.....

Something gave me pause for thought when DDr Elefun goes to visit Sultan and Abra.

It is interesting how Dr Elefun makes the statement 'So you sent Bruton out to destroy innocent robots who were dedicated to justice'.

Whilst dedication to justice is clear with Astro himself, Ziron (considering his occupation), Hercules, Photar, Mt Blanc (in his intro he's seen saving mountaineers from a cascading boulder) it's not AS clear with Molnar and Brondo. I'd even go as far as to say that the fact they are bff's isnt adequately explained enough through any (lack of) character development. I mean Molnar's a servant who's obviously steadfast in his loyalty to his master and I suppose on two occasions Brondo's described as being 'Great' and 'Fine' (by Sultan and Bruton no less) - but apart from that he's shown as basically a robot version of the Hulk (taking a swing at Astro even).

Not saying you couldn't count on Brondo for help. He's just really really angry (for obvious reasons) in this so we only get to see his cranky and 'BRONDO SMASH!' side of his personality. I don't expect character development to be exactly way up there on the priorities of the screen-writers with such little screen-time being available for all seven robots to be introduced, battled with and (for most of them) destroyed at some stage during the two episodes. I am so glad they didn't resort to horrible expository dialogue. Photar's was used extremely well when telling the orphans he'd like to stay but.....

Anyway during this time I have off at the moment (teaching without a voice is difficult), I decided to make this last night. Its still going through approval phase but here's the link that you can use to directly access it. I was inspired to do it when Top Gun was on the other day. Ive also invited people (in my video description) to come to astroboy-online.com.

Please tell me if you want that removed.

Anyway PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment (either here or there) and let me know what you think :)

Take care everyone

P.S - Astro has purposely been left out due to it being a dedication to the other seven (including Bruton). My favourite bit the almost perfect (albeit unintentional) timing of Bora's 'introduction' with the fantabulistic guitar theme of the song. LOVE IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padL4acEZ4A&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by Photar on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

The concept is really interesting and I wish that I can see the video (I'm on an internet connection that doesn't load videos well, but I will watch it as soon as I am at school). Once I see it I'll definitely give a better comment.

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Thanks Earthshine that means a lot to me. I'd email it but it's around 30 megs!!!

Looking forward to your feedback :)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

The youtube video's been approved. So here's the official link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padL4acEZ4A

Once again any feedback would be AWESOME :)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 9 years ago

WOW!! That was GREAT Fotar!! A LOT of work went into it, and the music was an excellent match! While I'm sorry to hear about your inflamed vocal chords, I'm glad you had the chance to create this video, and shared it with us! :heart:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

April you are the best. You have no idea how much that means to me to read that from you xo

It's funny, I was watching Top Gun and the GRITW story arc was the first thing that popped into my head when 'mighty wings' began.

I was tossing up between that and Audiomachine's 'Beginning' (the trailer music from 'Noah') but it's 'punch' doesn't really kick in until halfway

So thankyou SO much :)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

That was a very good video, you timed the music well with the video clips. The GWITW story arc has appeared in the manga and in all three anime series with some modifications, I don't know if the 1980 one was the best one (I think it was the only one with Photar in that form), and the one in the 1963 series is only available in the Japanese language. I think you picked good clips to include in the video.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Thanks heaps Tetsuwan!

I tried to begin it with all the robots being shown to be 'winning' more or less. My favourite, apart from Bora's intro is the quick scene change from Photar picking up the little boy to then rescuing him.

Thanks again for the feedback! You guys rock!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

Interesting video, Fotar; sadly, I am familiar with only 1 CHEAP TRICK song. :D :blush: I just do not know much about music videos, so, I cannot comment on that aspect.

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

"jeffbert" wrote:Interesting video, Fotar; sadly, I am familiar with only 1 CHEAP TRICK song. :D :blush: I just do not know much about music videos, so, I cannot comment on that aspect.

lol not a 'Top Gun' fan Jeff?

Thanks for commenting :)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”