Atom: The Beginning (Manga Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

The preview for Chapter 11 is now available.

[url]http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1511/index.html[/url]

EyeOdyssey should be pretty happy: there's more Noh Uno in this chapter. Also, there's a flashback with Tenma having shorter hair, so that might please Fauna.

Here's a couple pics from this chapter:

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (85.05 KiB) Viewed 3719 times

Untitled 2.png
Untitled 2.png (90.53 KiB) Viewed 3435 times

EDIT: If anyone is interested, I just found the first volume of Atom the Beginning being sold on Ebay for US $14.99. There are 3 in stock right now.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATOM-THE-BEGINNING-vol-1-Heros-Comics-Manga-Comic-from-Japan-/121722527322?hash=item1c573a5e5a[/url]
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

So, this chapter begins with a flashback to five years earlier: it turns out that one of those horrible mysterious accidents referenced early in chapter 1 has happened on Tenma family property. A firefighter holds a high school age Tenma back from the property, when suddenly a second explosion occurs by a rescue truck. It's implied here that Tenma's parents died or were horribly injured.

In the present, New Uno and the guys are tooling around in a lab. I'm in a class right now so I can't quite get through all the dialogue here, but New Uno mentions being originally from Scotland. Suddenly, Ochanomizu notices an alarm light going off, prompting all three guys and A106 to bolt out of the room. However, whatever they're running from detonates, blocking the stairs that would get them out of the building. Of course, end preview here.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Shiyonasan
Administrator

The preview for Chapter 12 is now available:

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1512/index.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

The preview for Chapter 13 is now available. There's some nice-looking color pages this time around:

[url]http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1601/index.html[/url]

Also, as you may see on the top-left portion of the second image, Volume 2 of Atom the Beginning will be available to purchase on December 4. You can order it on Amazon Japan:

[url]http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4864684413/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=187205609&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=4864684170&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=0KKZKNGVMR2PTHW5TFRW[/url]

EDIT: I suppose I should also mention that today is the one-year anniversary of Atom the Beginning! Chapter 1 was released on December 1, 2014. Hard to believe it's been a year already.

ATB 1.jpg
ATB 1.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

ATB 2.jpg
ATB 2.jpg (116.39 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Oh hey, fancy seeing a young Skunk Kusai in this chapter! He looks like he's somewhere in his 20s.

I can't quite figure out what's going on in this chapter, since it seems to carry over from a previous installment. Ran overhears some gunshots, and watches as A106, Tenma, and Ochanomizu hurry onto a minibus. The woman on the bus looks like she could possibly be related to Tenma, and she has a dashboard computer assistant named Rabby. By command, Rabby shoots a small missile at Skunk's car, knocking him off the road.

I've preordered volume 2, and I can't wait to finally see the full chapters!
ImageImageImageImage

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

I hate to doublepost, but I've got an update. I won't be getting my copy of volume two until late next month, just because I preordered it alongside the new Yasuyuki Okamura album and it'd be cheaper to consolidate shipping. Volume two IS out and available for anybody who wants to order it, though, and it's about $15-18 with international shipping factored in.
ImageImageImageImage

Shiyonasan
Administrator

The preview for Chapter 14 is now available:

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1602/index.html

The main website for Atom the Beginning has also updated with a neat wallpaper in four different sizes, with two for computers and two for phones:

http://www.heros-web.com/works/atom.html

Computer wallpaper (1440x1280)

Computer wallpaper (1920x1080)

Phone wallpaper (890x1590)

Phone wallpaper (960x854)

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

So, change of plans...I put my preorder of the album on hold (it's a long story), and volume two arrived this week. I'm glad to see Noh Uno here: his A:TB name is officially the Earl Aaron Bremner. (Earl is his rank. His name in the original text is アーロン ブレムナー伯爵.) He's from Scotland, and has a multi-armed, butterfly-like robot named North. Yes, he's the creator of a female version of Greatest Robots' North.

Ran has a crush on A106, which is really interesting so far. Speaking of him, that tournament was particularly brutal. Mars was supposed to flat-out kill A106 on the spot, but he defies Dr. Lolo's orders and just collapses on the ground. Even though he was spared, the fight left A106 missing the lower half of his body and his right eye. This follows with an interesting chapter of the few weeks that A106 is table-ridden, overhearing the conversations of the kids around him (and subject to being sit on by Tom Cat.)

A106 also has reoccurring intrusive thoughts about being stabbed in the torso by Mars. This is one of the few times I've seen robot PTSD in media, and an accurately portrayed case at that! The kids - Motoko, Ran, Shunsaku Ban's nephew Shunsaku, Tenma, and Ochanomizu - go with Motoko's maids and nanny to a beach island in search of the source of some odd inorganic signals. This is where they meet an enormous squad of Mars clones, and the new ally Aaron Bremner. The three young lads discover an abandoned lab on the island that may have a clue to what caused the strange explosions in Japan five years prior...

My grievances: Tenma has a thing for Dr. Lolo. No, this isn't envy from me, this is over how ridiculous this is. It's presented as being purely physical, and the other characters roast him a bit for it, but like...this is a woman who tried to get a robot to kill his robot creation and friend. The thirst is unfeasible.

Also, Kasahara needs to calm down with drawing boobs. If he has a chance to draw a boob or even add extra cleavage line, he takes it. It's really distracting, especially with an out-of-nowhere swimsuit scene with Motoko and Ran. Last volume had a few needless pantyshots for Ran, and this volume had one stupid swimsuit scene. At least there seems to be a cap on this.

Now, chapter 14: We pick up again with Unnamed Woman driving the kids away from danger - this time it's a squad of Mars clones on bikes. Unnamed Woman (I'll call her UW for space) calls for Rabby to fire a Micro Smart Grenade at the clones. Unfortunately, they easily avoid it.

UW has been presenting as a journalist up until this point, and Tenma figures out that it's a cover. She reveals she's a special agent with ICE, an Interpol-like international investigation circuit that focuses on robotic crime. She activates her Brain Link with Rabby, which lets her use her robotic eye to see through Rabby's point of view on the van. She's able to finally make some damage with shooting the Mars clones behind them. And that's all we see for now until next month...
Last edited by Fauna on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed something I complained about, because I mistook knees for boobs. Now I'M the dunderhead.
ImageImageImageImage

Shiyonasan
Administrator

The preview for Chapter 15 is now available:

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1603/index.html

A certain major villain from the Astro Boy series appears...

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Here we go, Skunk is back! I wonder how old he is in this series, in comparison to Tenma and Ochanomizu...in regular AB canon, I always assumed he was younger than them. Maybe he's in his early 20s and in some kind of mob internship.

So, today's preview...it's a sloppy rainy night, right after the fight on the road last chapter against the Mars clones on motorcycles. Black-suited men with umbrellas assess the damage - apparently the kids last chapter manage to destroy 12 of these Mars clones, called the Baruto / Baltics.

This guy with a beard (who looks like Vodka from Detective Conan), Skunk's friend who was with him in that earlier chapter, calls out that they now have permission to use some different robots. This gets Skunk pretty pumped up.

Meanwhile, that special agent woman has taken A106 and the kids to a forest lodge. She's still feeling pain from doing the Brain Link with Rabby, but hopes the kids can get some safety in the lodge. Ochanomizu thinks it smells moldy in there, and Tenma complains that he can't get phone service. The woman's kinda annoyed.

Ochanomizu and A106 discuss if what Tenma assumed about those robots was true, of the Baltics being Mars clones. (I assume they didn't get a good look at them like we readers did.) It suddenly becomes clear to the guys and the secret agent that A106 is developing the ability to ponder and come to conclusions on his own. Tenma finds this a little outrageous but still demands that A106 analyze what he remembers about the Baltics' bikes. To sum up a bunch of stuff, Tenma is denying the possibility that the Baltics have anything to do with Dr. Lolo's company, and Ochanomizu is hitting a breakthrough that I don't know enough kanji to understand yet. I'm sorry.

Basically, the guys are arguing, and the self-aware A106 stands by, unsure of what to do. It looks like we'll need to wait until the next preview, or volume three, to see where Motoko and Ran are.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”