Atom: The Beginning (Manga Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 7 years ago

That's four Astro Boy TV series in the span of four years.

Really mad Pluto couldn't get this treatment though.
I'm on Twitter.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 7 years ago

Indeed. Pluto would have been an amazing story to create a TV series from, it would be like Death Note, but Astro themed. :lol:

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 7 years ago

Maybe we'll be lucky and the movie will be based off PLUTO. Though a short tv series would be more fitting for it's story.

Secretsivekept
Metro City Citizen

Postby Secretsivekept » 7 years ago

Yeah, Pluto is probably one of my favorite mangas, but its story and length would probably need a TV series rather than a movie. A movie, even a series of movies, would be far too condensed.
(who's with me for casting Daniel Craig as Gesicht??)

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 7 years ago

"Secretsivekept" wrote:Who's with me for casting Daniel Craig as Gesicht??

I could see that happening, if they had the money.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 7 years ago

This latest chapter preview is pretty short and lighthearted. Basically, Motoko is now a regular companion to the boys, and the boys fight about robotics while shoving back food. They're considering a boomerang ability for A106, along with other gadgets. Also, Tenma and Motoko compare Ochanomizu to a koala.

"Is that so?"
"Pfft...Koala-chan!"

Volume three arrived for me, and there's a LOT of action scenes in it! They're all rendered rather well. I think my particular favourite scene is one I don't want to describe too much for fear of spoiling: A106 almost drowns, and seems to see himself as a human and a bit into the future. In the end, he calls Ochanomizu "otousan." In this part of the story, robot rules aren't a solid thing yet, since A106 at one point throws Skunk and his partner.

In the chapter content we haven't seen yet, the boys are struggling to prove to senior scientists that A106 really is as capable as he is. The only person who believes them and gives them a chance at funding is...Dr. Saruta. I'm glad to see him again!
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 7 years ago

The preview for Chapter 20 is now available:

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1608/index.html

I'm not sure if you can purchase it outside of Japan, but there is now an eBook version of Volume 1 available:

http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/314437/

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 7 years ago

The preview for Chapter 21 is now available:

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1609/index.html

There's a message on the first page of the preview that I think is giving a short summary of what's happening in the story, though I'm not sure.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 7 years ago

You're right! That blurb, titled "arasuji (synopsis)", just gives a description of the story thus far.

This preview starts with Hiroshi and Umataro being suggested that they try putting A106 into the World Robot Battling program. The university president seems nervous when the boys refute this idea, revealing that it was Moriya Tsutsumi's suggestion.

Moriya brings in three robot idols from the WRB, named Zeta (elegant and refined), Iita (outspoken and bold), and Siita (cutesy and timid). The concept behind them is "symbiosis with humans." Hiroshi and Umataro don't seem to like how the idols don't really have their own personalities and conscience, they're just programmed to act a certain way. Professor Naoka, a tall, catlike older lady, says that's just what makes money on TV. The offer is to put A106 on TV, likely as a predetermined character, which Hiroshi considers but Umataro finds repulsive and otaku-pandering. The guys change their minds, though, when they realize the WBR is a prime chance to get back at Dr. Lolo and Hercules the robot.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”