Atom: The Beginning (Manga Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

Thanks for translating/summarizing Fauna! I figure that that girl on the last page is Motoko as well.

On another subject, I saw earlier that the Monthly Hero's site has an English version. Here's a link to that:

http://www.heros-web.com/en/

Not only do they let you view the 'latest episode" of each series in Monthly Hero's, but they also let you view the entirety of the first volume of each series in their magazine. That's very generous of them.

Now, some of the series have English translations of their first volume, but some don't. Plus, each of the "latest episodes" are only in Japanese and they're only available until the next episode comes out. I'm not sure if the "latest episodes" are the entirety of those new episodes, or just a preview of those episodes.

Atom the Beginning is not on the English site right now, but I'm 99% certain that they'll put the series on there eventually. That means that, if Atom The Beginning gets put on the English site, we'll be able to see the first volume of it indefinitely, but after that first volume, we'll only be able to see the "latest episode". Still, that means we'll be able to get to read at least a good portion of the series online legally for free! Plus, there's a chance they'll put the first volume on there in English!

Definitely good news. It looks like we may be able to keep reading this series beyond the preview we got today!

"Fauna" wrote:I am so excited for this! I've got to find and order the whole issue somehow!

I doubt we could ship it outside of Japan, but you can apparently only buy them from the Seven-Elevens in Japan. They cost only 200 yen, which is ~1.68 in American dollars and ~1.93 in Canadian dollars.

http://www.sej.co.jp/products/heros.html
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

If you have a Japantown or a Chinatown in your city you just may be able to find the issues there as some of these towns have a strong loyal following where stores will order serialized books. The cost is much higher than the Japanese sticker-price, but it's a way for their community to still read their own language and culture. There is one store in Seattle that has the Japanese version of Shounen Jump delivered weekly, it might be a few issues off but its there along with some other magazines published weekly/monthly in Japan.

I'd consider looking into it further but I'm on the other side of the state and thus cannot check to see if this issue would even show up even on special order.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 9 years ago

For those who live in Britain, there is a China Town in London, where I am going to check for a store that sells Monthly Hero. There are also a few stores around China Town dedicated to selling Japanese books.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

The second chapter is now live! It got released a little early. Fauna should be happy; there's some Tenma in the latter half of this chapter.

We've also got character bios! The black-haired girl is not mentioned though. She's the most interesting character to me so far. Also, the robot's name is confirmed to be A106.

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewer/atom_1502/index.html#page=2

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

I wonder if I could get Google translate to accept those pages.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 9 years ago

Too many questions.....
Not enough nerves.....
Words can not explain what I am feeling right now, for I do not quite understand what I am feeling. Hmmm....
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

From the character profiles at the beginning, it seems they've given Ochanomizu the full name of Hiroshi Ochanomizu. Tenma still stays at Umataro Tenma. Motoko addresses the girl with black hair on page 4 as "Ochanomizu's sister?!" Her name is officially Ran Ochanomizu, and she hangs out in junkyards with A106 and her cat to collect parts. Motoko seems to have a crush on Ochanomizu, too. This is getting interesting.

This isn't a complaint, by far, but young Tenma looks way too pretty in comparison to who he grows up to be. He looks like Hot Topic Kid here, and then eventually becomes that guy who wears trenchcoats in summer.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Shiyonasan
Administrator

"Fauna" wrote:From the character profiles at the beginning, it seems they've given Ochanomizu the full name of Hiroshi Ochanomizu. Tenma still stays at Umataro Tenma. Motoko addresses the girl with black hair on page 4 as "Ochanomizu's sister?!" Her name is officially Ran Ochanomizu, and she hangs out in junkyards with A106 and her cat to collect parts. Motoko seems to have a crush on Ochanomizu, too. This is getting interesting.

This isn't a complaint, by far, but young Tenma looks way too pretty in comparison to who he grows up to be. He looks like Hot Topic Kid here, and then eventually becomes that guy who wears trenchcoats in summer.

Interesting indeed. I never would've guessed that Ran and Hiroshi are brother and sister considering how opposite their personalities are compared to each other. I suppose that's representative of how siblings generally are though.

Considering that this manga is only supposed to go up to Atom's birth, I don't suppose that we'll see Uran come into the picture, but I wonder if it's going to be explained that Uran's name is based off of Ran's name. Or, maybe Kasahara just wanted a name for one of the characters in this manga to be similar to Uran's, and Ran happened to be that character. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 9 years ago

Not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but Ran's cat has markings that make it look like Atom. Really cute.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

"SuwaHana" wrote:Not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but Ran's cat has markings that make it look like Atom. Really cute.

I hadn't noticed that! Interesting. The size of the widow's peak marking is closer to Jetter Mars' widow's peak, but that and the ears on the cat definitely seem to be an homage to Atom.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”