Atom: The Beginning (Manga Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Atom: The Beginning (Manga Discussion)

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

This thread is for discussion about the manga for Atom: The Beginning. For discussion about the anime for Atom: The Beginning, click the link below:

Atom The Beginning (2017 Anime Discussion)

Atom: The Beginning Official Website
Monthly Hero's Official Website

Atom: The Beginning debuted in the January 2015 issue of Shogakukan's Monthly Hero's magazine, which was released in Japan on December 1, 2014. New chapters are released in each monthly issue, which are distributed to 7-Elevens in Japan.

No international release of the manga has been announced.

An anime adaptation was announced at the beginning of Chapter 19; it aired from April 15, 2017 to July 8, 2017 on NHK in Japan. The English subbed version was available through Anime Strike, a paid subscription service in Amazon Prime. Two Blu-rays were released for it, which you can find links to purchase them in the stickied "Official releases/videos" thread in the Astro Boy Discussion sub-forum.

You can purchase the first two volumes of Atom the Beginning from Amazon Japan. Volume 1 contains the first five chapters of the manga in Japanese:

Staff:

Tetsuro Kasahara - Author

Makoto Tezuka - Supervising Editor

Masami Yuuki - Concept Works

Osamu Tezuka - Draft

Tezuka Productions - Cooperation

I don't know how I missed this article, but this news came out over a month ago. Pretty interesting to see more manga for the series.

Source: Anime News Network

Rideback's Kasahara Launches Astro Boy Prequel Manga

Atom: The Beginning series to tell story up to birth of Astro Boy

The November issue of Shogakuan's Monthly Hero's Magazine magazine revealed on Wednesday that Ride Back author Tetsuro Kasahara is launching a prequel of Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy manga.

The temporarily titled Atom: The Beginning will premiere in the magazine in the January issue on December 1. Tezuka's son Makoto Tezuka is handling the editorial supervision of the manga, and the series is in collaboration with Tezuka Productions. Masami Yuuki (Patlabor the Mobile Police, Birdy the Mighty creator) is credited with "concept works" for the series.

The manga will tell the story of what happens up until the birth of Astro Boy, and is considered an "episode zero" story.

Kasahara's Ride Back manga inspired a television anime series in 2009 and Funimation released the series on home video. Kasahara is also currently drawing the Full Metal Panic! 0 manga in Fujimi Shobo's Monthly Dragon Age magazine.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 94 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

This sounds very interesting, I'd like to see it. I wonder if someone there read the fan fiction I did on that theme ( prequel).

That's Atomu in big red letters on the cover isn't it?
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:That's Atomu in big red letters on the cover isn't it?

Sure is.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

This does sound interesting, thanks for finding this Shiyonasan. I saw Ride Back and it was really well thought out, solid writing and an interesting plot. I think it will be interesting to have a prequel written from the same mind of Ride Back.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

:lol: Just when I thought I had everything necessary to write my book!

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Here is a slightly better quality image of the characters in the manga:

http://instagram.com/p/u5IewejOck/

So it turns out that the blond guy with the round nose is most likely Ochanomizu, and the guy with black hair is most likely Tenma. Not sure who the female character or the robot are supposed to be.

Looks like this manga might take place back when Ochanomizu and Tenma were in their youth or young adult years! Interesting stuff.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

I'm probably going to buy the issue with this first chapter in it, since I'm not sure if it'll ever be put in an omnibus. I remember when Toshihiro Ono made an alternate Birth of Mewtwo manga, and that was only available in a single issue of CoroCoro that now resells for $350-700. (Which is a huge shame, since Dr. Fuji is super cute in it...)

I almost wonder if the white-haired guy in the promo picture is Dr. Pavlos, from the 2003 series. That's definitely a young Ochanomizu and Tenma, though.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Shiyonasan
Administrator

People that can read Japanese:

Does it say in this link that they are offering the volume with Atom The Beginning in it for free? It looks like the free offer might've only been until November 16. Even so, I don't know if people outside of Japan can order the volume through this special offer anyway. :d oh:

[url]http://ch.nicovideo.jp/heros-hensyu/blomaga/ar652438[/url]

Regardless, we got a nice, large image of the robot from the manga from this link:

[url]http://bmimg.nicovideo.jp/image/ch2579115/196851/df5f22c39940709db1d4737d9b6f2160bcee45dc.jpg[/url]

click for spoiler
df5f22c39940709db1d4737d9b6f2160bcee45dc.jpg
df5f22c39940709db1d4737d9b6f2160bcee45dc.jpg (35.39 KiB) Viewed 13059 times

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

Hm, my Japanese is really rusty, but from what I was able to see I did not see any limitations on the free offer, and the offer I believe is for a digital copy anyway. I'm not entirely sure either if you have to have a Japanese IP address in order to view it, the only real way to tell for sure is to just TRY.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

You'll need an e-reader of some sort to see the free issue. I'm about to try downloading one of their supported readers, the LINE Manga phone app. I also suspect that this free album is also just the first one they ever published.

...So far it's looking like I can't do it with a Canadian iTunes account. I'll post again if I find a solution.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”