Not Astro ... Not Mars ... but... Drop??

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 9 years ago

"rescuebot" wrote:I think it's up to interpretation haha ;)

It's really not. Don't trust automatic translators so much.

If you look at Japanese translations of the word "drop," you'll see that ロップ isn't part of them. There's ドロップ though.

ドロップ
drop

drop, droplet, drip, drib, driblet, bead

滴下
drop, drip

滴り
dripping, drop

drop, droplet, drip, drib, driblet, bead

下降
fall, descent, drop, dropping, subsidence

転落
fall, descent, degradation, slump, decrease, drop
I'm on Twitter.

rescuebot
Metro City Citizen

Postby rescuebot » 9 years ago

Don't you think you're taking this a little too seriously... And being a little rude? People are allowed to interpret things differently than you.... yeesh

I'm Rescue and I love robots!
Feel free to ask for my username on other websites!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

"rescuebot" wrote:Don't you think you're taking this a little too seriously... And being a little rude? People are allowed to interpret things differently than you.... yeesh

Homeski, the katakana literally is "Roppu". It's not at all "interpretation" so much as it is basic Japanese spelling and a site typo.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

"rescuebot" wrote:Don't you think you're taking this a little too seriously... And being a little rude? People are allowed to interpret things differently than you.... yeesh

You're being a little rude yourself. F-Man brings up a legitimate point: you can't entirely trust automatic translators. For that matter, you can say that you interpret this differently than what F-Man and Fauna are saying, but the fact of the matter is, they're actually correct. I can attest for Fauna's knowledge of Japanese through the Atom the Beginning thread with her translations of the chapters in that manga.

This is a warning. The first rule of the forum, which you agreed to abide by when registering for this forum, is to respect other members. Please do that in all conversations.

As for the topic at hand, I did notice on Google Translate that, although the translation itself is technically incorrect, the text beneath the kanji reads "Roppu-kun":

https://translate.google.com/#ja/en/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%83%E3%83%97%E3%81%8F%E3%82%93

Taking that into account along with several reliable sites listing the manga as "Roppu-kun", it's safe to assume that "Roppu-kun" is the correct translated title.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rescuebot
Metro City Citizen

People were legit being rude to me first but, okay. :(
Last edited by rescuebot on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

You're taking this really personally when none of us meant any offense. I only got into this thread because I love translating from Japanese, and I just wanted to help. :(
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

rescuebot
Metro City Citizen

I edited the first post so you can all stop dog piling on me now. Funny how when everyone dog piles on me no moderators show up but the second I retaliate and show I don't like being talked down to suddenly I'm the rude one and get a warning. Funny isn't it? smh

There is a way to explain what you're saying without being rude and shooting people down with "nah" and calling me nicknames to talk down to me and treat me like a child. I get it I have learning disabilities please rub it in and talk down to me :(
Last edited by rescuebot on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 9 years ago

Just wanna clarify that I wasn't being rude, just correcting. You said it was up to interpretation, but that usually means something that can be either one way or the other, and in this case it simply is incorrect to call this character Drop-kun. Hence, it is not up to interpretation. No harm was intended in my posts.
I'm on Twitter.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

I'm sorry that you feel like people are picking on you or you feel attacked, Rescuebot, but I assure you that no one here was intending to hurt your feelings or make you feel uncomfortable by pointing out the translation error.

I understand that it can be pretty embarrassing to be corrected by someone else on something that seems obvious and clear, believe me when I was first studying Japanese I got corrected so many times on very simple things, it's embarrassing but no one intends to make you feel excluded.

rescuebot
Metro City Citizen

Let's be mature about this, all of us, and just forget it happened. I can forgive u guys...

Anyway let's swing the discussion back to Roppu - anyone find any more info abt them?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”